Euro 2016 qualifiers

Mr Bairn

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Scotland are a better team than Wales.

Yes they beat us twice recently, one of the games coming during the dreadful Levein era and the other just at the start of WGS'. Despite this they still finished below us in that qualification group.

Their golden generation - one of our worst teams / managers = still finishing below us. They are not good and Belgium are a team who consistently flatter to deceive.

It's a great result, I'm not denying that, but I don't think Wales are a very good team. They'd be regularly destroyed in the actual Euros, I'd imagine.

Didn't realise Jeff Lynne took an interest in such matters.

Aye, I've always found the ELO rankings to be a bit too 'blue sky' for my tastes.

Certainly a few massive discrepancies there, and I think I'd probably agree more with the ELO overall, for what that's worth :P

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Scotland are a better team than Wales.

Yes they beat us twice recently, one of the games coming during the dreadful Levein era and the other just at the start of WGS'. Despite this they still finished below us in that qualification group.

Their golden generation - one of our worst teams / managers = still finishing below us. They are not good and Belgium are a team who consistently flatter to deceive.

It's a great result, I'm not denying that, but I don't think Wales are a very good team. They'd be regularly destroyed in the actual Euros, I'd imagine.

They've got form behind them at the moment, though. Got to give them some credit for that. I've not seen them play in these qualifiers apart from against Israel, where they bossed the match, but they must be doing something right. Combined with them being a bit of a bogey team for us for the past thirty years, I wouldn't fancy us to beat them if we were playing tomorrow.

They're not the ninth best team in the world, though, or whatever nonsense is being predicted :P

They've got form behind them at the moment, though. Got to give them some credit for that. I've not seen them play in these qualifiers apart from against Israel, where they bossed the match, but they must be doing something right. Combined with them being a bit of a bogey team for us for the past thirty years, I wouldn't fancy us to beat them if we were playing tomorrow.

They're not the ninth best team in the world, though, or whatever nonsense is being predicted :P

I'd love to get them in the playoffs personally.

And I can see capitulating against some no marks in the games to come.

I'd love to get them in the playoffs personally.

And I can see capitulating against some no marks in the games to come.

Doubt they'll drop into the playoffs. Belgium may well catch them, but Israel or Cyprus are unlikely to overhaul them to push them into 3rd. Even if they did though, I'd rather not draw them. If Bale and Ramsey were both missing, fair enough, and we should have enough to beat them. But if they're both available - particularly Bale - then they'll always have that potential to make something from nothing. Who do we have that comes even close to Bale? For that alone, I'd rather we drew someone else if the chance came up.

Doubt they'll drop into the playoffs. Belgium may well catch them, but Israel or Cyprus are unlikely to overhaul them to push them into 3rd. Even if they did though, I'd rather not draw them. If Bale and Ramsey were both missing, fair enough, and we should have enough to beat them. But if they're both available - particularly Bale - then they'll always have that potential to make something from nothing. Who do we have that comes even close to Bale? For that alone, I'd rather we drew someone else if the chance came up.

It's a team sport and we are a better team - as demonstrated by finishing above them in the recent group. They, along with Romania, are by far the easiest 1st group seeds in WCQ.

When it comes to the playoffs I'd take Wales over an underperforming (but far better) team like Russia.

Agreed they are unlikely to drop into the playoffs, though, I wish Scotlands competition was nations like Irsael and Cyprus.

• 1 month later...

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-07-23/croatia-deducted-point-over-swastika-incident/

Croatia have been deducted one European Championship qualifying point and fined 100,000 euros after a Swastika appeared to be marked on the pitch in a match against Italy.
They have also been ordered to play their next two home games behind closed doors.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-07-23/croatia-deducted-point-over-swastika-incident/

Croatia have been deducted one European Championship qualifying point and fined 100,000 euros after a Swastika appeared to be marked on the pitch in a match against Italy.
They have also been ordered to play their next two home games behind closed doors.

Shouldn't make any difference to their qualification, although that point might be important when deciding who finishes top of the group. They could probably have managed a draw in Norway and still finished top; considering Italy look likely to win their remaining fixtures, they'll probably need to do likewise now.

• 1 month later...

Allow me to commemorate the loss of six weeks' worth of posts by pointing out that Gareth Bale has an enormous mouth. Could fit an entire jar of hot dogs in there and still have room for...erm...some other long cylindrical objects.

'Mon the Wales! :P

mmtvf9.png

Archived