Packers @ Seahawks, Opening Night

lichtie23

I thought a special thread should be dedicated to "Opening Night". Obviously we will have a thread for the rest of the Thursday night games.

The 2014 NFL season kicks off in the early hours of Friday morning when the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks host the 4 time champion Green Bay Packers at the thunderous CenturyLink Field.

The Seahawks destroyed Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos 43-8 at MetLife Stadium in last seasons Super Bowl in one of the most one sided finales of all time. The Seahawks were dominant last season finishing with a 13-3 record that only seen them lose once at home. 5th year Head Coach Pete Caroll has assembled one of the fiercest defences in recent history, a defence that includes elite defensive back in Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas III. On offence they have terrific duel threat QB Russell Wilson who is the leader on this offence. The run game is also of a high standard with the beast Marshawn Lynch being backed up by the lightning quick Christine Michael. Lynch is a downhill runner who is difficult to stop when he is going at full speed. He is given the room by a quality O-Line that includes the talent of Russell Okung, Breno Giacomini and Max Unger. Percy Harvin returning to full fitness is also a huge boost for this already dangerous team.

The Green Bay Packers were last crowned World Champions in 2010 and are always one of the favourites to lift the Lombardi at this point in the season. In Aaron Rodgers they arguably have the best Quarterback on the league along with Brady and Peyton Manning. In Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson, Rodgers has 2 great deep threats and they have been joined by 2nd round draft pick out of Fresno State Devonte Adams. Running Back Eddie Lacy was voted Offensive Rookie of the Year last season and will be hoping to continue that form this season. On the defensive side of the ball the Packers have upgraded there D-Line with the addition of Pro Bowler Julius Peppers and secondary with 1st round draft pick Safety Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix out of Alabama, tho the loss of BJ Raji for the season is an issue.

It's been a long time coming.....but football is nearly back!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great season opener awaits. The Packers have to be better than their final record in 2013 suggests. Obviously a lot of that was down to Rodgers absence as well as other injuries.

The World Champions will be fired up for this one and I guess the onus will be on Beastmode and Baldwin to move the chains. I'm looking forward to see what RW can achieve with his aparently limited receiving corp. Who is going to step up?

I fancy a close game 29-24 Seahawks.

Seahawks at home = Seahawks win.

I think the Seahawks will put more on Russell Wilson's shoulders this year - quite right too. I also quite like their receivers. Harvin is the most dynamic receiver in the league, Paul Richardson is fast as hell and a great deep ball threat who could become a complete receiver in a few years time (like Torrey Smith). Jermaine Kearse is the wildcaard though. He has great rapport with Wilson, is an excellent red zone target and made an outstanding play in the Super Bowl.

best-highlights-from-seahawks-super-bowl

Every NFL forum I visit the Hawks fans have become unbearable. It's not been too bad on here tho.

Supporting a team who has basically done f**k all in the history of the game like Seattle we're a year ago I hope I don't turn into a gloating mess if we win the big one.

Yeah, who am I kidding.

Every NFL forum I visit the Hawks fans have become unbearable. It's not been too bad on here tho.

You are always going to get the idiots coming out the woodwork. I'd presume most of these gloaters wouldn't have been active on those forums prior to last year.

The Hawks fans on here are top lads, salt of the earth and in no way at all "wankers"! ^_^

I have no Sky Sports and no time off work, changed times, scrambling about for a shitty stream on the cards for me.

Kick off time is about 10:30am for me, so I'll be trying to find an online radio stream to listen to the game at work.

Archived