The Arbroath Thread

8 hours ago, Big lichtie said:

both doris and prutny proven goal scorers these guys dont lose that instinct i would suggest perhaps it the supply of chances provided to them or the total lack of supply

I agree with the above statement, really feel for Prunty every time he has had a good shot or header on target the goalkeeper has made a great save just like Clyde's keeper the other night from his header, hopefully both start scoring in the 2nd part of the season, remember both Shagger and Murray were banging in goals up to New Year then dried up after, hopefully this is a reversal of that scenario.

37 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I agree with the above statement, really feel for Prunty every time he has had a good shot or header on target the goalkeeper has made a great save just like Clyde's keeper the other night from his header, hopefully both start scoring in the 2nd part of the season, remember both Shagger and Murray were banging in goals up to New Year then dried up after, hopefully this is a reversal of that scenario.

I think Prunty missed an open goal 5 minutes before his excellent header. He's had plenty of chances and really not taken any. Like a lot of good strikers, he seems to have lost the edge with age.

both doris and prutny proven goal scorers these guys dont lose that instinct i would suggest perhaps it the supply of chances provided to them or the total lack of supply

Disagree, don't think we've had a decent partnership up there that work well together, virtually all our goals and assists have come from midfield players

The days of 30+ goal aseason strikers have pretty much gone at this level, the game has changed so much. More emphasis on shape and systems and teams being overly cautious and trying to slowly build the play up. Getting the ball into the box quickly or getting wingers to the byline and getting crosses in seems to be unfashionable.

There is no doubt the return from our strikers has been poor and hopefully the manager addresses it in January. They've not had great supply but also not taken their chances when they came along. Skelly and Doris for me tomorrow.

good strikers make their own luck, a goal scorer not scoring is just an other player, this pair are going to be lucky to get 10 between them this season, one out in January and one in, for me

What is the return anyway?

In league anyway I've got

Skelly - 4?

Doris - 1?

Prunty - 0

Hester - 0

Simply nowhere near enough goals coming from them

Compare that to the midfield and it blows that out the water, even the defence and you might be surprised

In the league-

Linn-5

Scott-5

Skelly-4

McCord-3

Kader-3

Hamilton-1

Doris-1

Whatley-1

Gold-1

Little-1

ETA:1 OG too

17 goals from midfield

5 from our strikers

No good enough. I don't think there's been a partnership that works well. Like even if we had Rutherford uptop with Doris or Prunty I think the 2 of them would've had goals. Relying on the midfield to do everything. All the strikers drop in and look for it. No out ball over top. Even if there is Doris will just hold it up for the midfield. Skelly is a wee bit more direct but same applies.

1 minute ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Hows prunty been...We were rumoured with him in summer

Not played much recently, penalty box striker and we've not created much. Looks to have a lost a yard or two of pace. By all accounts seems a great guy and his attitude is brilliant.

8 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Hows prunty been...We were rumoured with him in summer

I rate both Prunty and Doris although they have not "clicked" when playing as a partnership.

Prunty to me is a "penalty box" striker and although he has had chances he has also been unlucky, a great save against Clyde the other night and a defender on the line when he lobbed the keeper down an Annan etc, I reckon he requires wingers hitting the byline and putting in low hard crosses or playing off a big striker knocking it down to him and on both counts we have not played that way.

Doris is slightly different, he tends to come more into midfield or out wide for the ball and is probably better in the air than Prunts, always gives 110% and plays better with a partner with pace (Swanks when we won the league and to a certain degree Skelly this season).

Must say though although both Prunty and Doris have not been hitting the net and either starts on the bench or gets subbed both have shown total professionalism and have heard are great in the dressing-room and also give good advice to the younger players and are goods lads as well, would not like to see either go in January I reckon we need another in preferably a tall striker like Edinburgh City's See.

It has been a funny old season, taken maximum points from Forfar, won away at Elgin, lost a close one to Clyde, then gave them a doing at home, but taken a single point from Edinburgh in two games, hope it settles down now, but I have my doubts

It has been a funny old season, taken maximum points from Forfar, won away at Elgin, lost a close one to Clyde, then gave them a doing at home, but taken a single point from Edinburgh in two games, hope it settles down now, but I have my doubts

Leagues looking quite exciting

Bottom 6 and top 4

Hopefully Cowden go doon

2defeats in the league is a vast improvement from last season. If we could have turned some of those draws into wins we would be at least level with Farfir. Our 1 fault imo which was apparent yesterday is our inability to punish teams when on top. We could have been comfortably a couple of goals up early on but for our profligacy in front of goal. If our strikers can improve on their finishing we could be there at the finish.