The Arbroath Thread

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Funny how this has happened quite a lot recently, good decisions from #TapBoi have been paying off yet nobody really seems to have picked up on it, after all it was at the centre of every thread when we were drawing games.... ;)

Extremely happy with the way things are going on the pitch and the personnel at the club, players and management right up to guys like Brian Cargill and the board. Real togetherness this season for the first time since Sheerin IMO. Feel good factor.

Alternatively it could be argued that in games such as Saturday's we started with the wrong 11 initially, which resulted in a fairly dreadful performance for two thirds of the game. This then only changed when we bought on two players who I would personally have started with, and we picked up massively and went on to score 4 goals with two of our best players coming off the bench and changing the game. If we had started with them in the team, would we have been so poor for the first hour and found ourselves a goal down? I certainly don't think we should be aiming to shitfest games for an hour and then our subbies make the difference and we go on to win ;)

Completely agree with your second paragraph - there is a really good feeling around currently, and I'm very confident we will be top 2 at least, and fully expect us to be challenging alongside Forfar right up until the end, it could be a really exciting end to the season this year. The players are obviously really enjoying playing under the current management, and regardless of fan opinions on starting 11s/ subs/ signings etc we all have to give a lot of credit to the management for the feeling they have created at the club at this point in time :)

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

We rarely look like conceding, took a great strike on Saturday to score against us.

Agreed - our defence has been superb this season, especially Ricky Little and Hammy at the centre of it. If I had to pick a weakness at the back I would say it is Jaseem Suker (I'm not criticising him, I'm just saying that out of our back 4 he is the one the opposition target and there is a reason for that). I am slightly disappointed that Dick seems fairly intent on getting in another centre back and moving Hammy out to left back, as our defensive record is superb and I don't see a reason to change our centre back pairing considering how well they play together week in week out. I'd be perfectly happy to keep things as they are with the back 4 and get some backup in, or if we were going for a starter I'd have preferred us to be looking at the left back position instead of centre back.

Far more positives than negatives currently though, and our record in the past dozen or so games is superb, if we can keep this form up until the end of the season then we will win the league, simple as that :)

In an interview on Peterhead's website, Jim McInally said Rumsby had asked to leave specifically so he could sign for Cowden. Could've just been a case of that deal being basically over the line by the time we heard about it and had time to offer him a deal.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Alternatively it could be argued that in games such as Saturday's we started with the wrong 11 initially, which resulted in a fairly dreadful performance for two thirds of the game. This then only changed when we bought on two players who I would personally have started with, and we picked up massively and went on to score 4 goals with two of our best players coming off the bench and changing the game. If we had started with them in the team, would we have been so poor for the first hour and found ourselves a goal down? I certainly don't think we should be aiming to shitfest games for an hour and then our subbies make the difference and we go on to win ;)

Completely agree with your second paragraph - there is a really good feeling around currently, and I'm very confident we will be top 2 at least, and fully expect us to be challenging alongside Forfar right up until the end, it could be a really exciting end to the season this year. The players are obviously really enjoying playing under the current management, and regardless of fan opinions on starting 11s/ subs/ signings etc we all have to give a lot of credit to the management for the feeling they have created at the club at this point in time :)

Agreed - our defence has been superb this season, especially Ricky Little and Hammy at the centre of it. If I had to pick a weakness at the back I would say it is Jaseem Suker (I'm not criticising him, I'm just saying that out of our back 4 he is the one the opposition target and there is a reason for that). I am slightly disappointed that Dick seems fairly intent on getting in another centre back and moving Hammy out to left back, as our defensive record is superb and I don't see a reason to change our centre back pairing considering how well they play together week in week out. I'd be perfectly happy to keep things as they are with the back 4 and get some backup in, or if we were going for a starter I'd have preferred us to be looking at the left back position instead of centre back.

Far more positives than negatives currently though, and our record in the past dozen or so games is superb, if we can keep this form up until the end of the season then we will win the league, simple as that :)

For me, Skelly and jimmy start every game IF they are fully fit.

I don't think Jimmy was on Saturday and Josh has missed a few games for either illness or niggling injuries (maybe a commitment issue with him not being our player or he might genuinely have been ill or injured)

If he had dropped Kader and Ferns and we hadn't won there would've been absolute outcry for not sticking with a winning team so its a bit swings and roundabouts. Good to have these selection problems i would add and i share the same concerns about starting the games poorly. Will take 4-1 wins every week even if we play shite for an hour.

21 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

In an interview on Peterhead's website, Jim McInally said Rumsby had asked to leave specifically so he could sign for Cowden. Could've just been a case of that deal being basically over the line by the time we heard about it and had time to offer him a deal.

Who in their right mind would specifically want to join Cowdenbeath at this current time?  Donald Findlay splashing the cash... again!  €ow£enbeath!  I hope we can line up a better signing soon. 

Who in their right mind would specifically want to join Cowdenbeath at this current time?  Donald Findlay splashing the cash... again!  €ow£enbeath!  I hope we can line up a better signing soon. 

He's only there 6 month, and let's be honest they're needing to do that, needing him a whole lot more than we do.

12 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

If he had dropped Kader and Ferns and we hadn't won there would've been absolute outcry for not sticking with a winning team so its a bit swings and roundabouts. Good to have these selection problems i would add and i share the same concerns about starting the games poorly. Will take 4-1 wins every week even if we play shite for an hour.

If there's outcry, ignore them. They're wrong.

You pick the team you think is capable of winning the game you're playing, not the game you've just played.

The easiest time to introduce players into the team is when the team is on a high and getting results.

19 minutes ago, lichtie36nilhello said:

Probably to get decent game time as we badly need a centre half.  Short term move for him which could lead to a better deal after/

Think this will be paid for by the wages saved in Craig Sives leaving us so Donald won't be putting much in!

Just now, The Minertaur said:

Probably to get decent game time as we badly need a centre half.  Short term move for him which could lead to a better deal after/

Think this will be paid for by the wages saved in Craig Sives leaving us so Donald won't be putting much in!

Fair comment... just make sure you finish above Berwick, at all costs! 

25 minutes ago, lichtie36nilhello said:

Think he must have read some of your posts. Plus there's the "Dick" factor.

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Berwick / Cowden or Clyde I'm hoping for

According to a certain #baller Clyde are the biggest part time club in Scotland, by a mile, and therefore I would expect them to be right up the top. I mean, imagine the embarrassment of such a huge club having diddies like Annan and Edinburgh City potentially finishing above them :)