The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, WT Figo said:

From the AFC Facebook page.

Arbroath Squad 2017 / 2018

Arbroath manager Dick Campbell has been working hard behind the scenes as he plans for our move up into League One.

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce that several key players of our Ladbrokes League 2 Championship winning side have agreed terms, committing themselves to Gayfield for next season.  

Steven Doris, Eddie Ferns, David Gold, Kane Hester, Omar Kader, Ricky Little, Ryan McCord, Bryan Prunty and Mark Whatley have all agreed terms to sign alongside Josh Skelly, Colin Hamilton and Bobby Linn who had already signed / were under contract.

We would also like to thank Donald McCallum, Matty Smyth and Jassem Sukar who were all on loan at Gayfield and played a part in our League Title.  Arbroath FC would like to go on record and also thank their parent clubs - Dumbarton FC, Dundee FC and Dundee United for allowing them to link up at Gayfield.

Of course as new players come in, there will be players moving in the opposition direction.  Martin Scott, Josh Thomson and Ryan Stewart all depart Gayfield but we would like to thank them all for their contribution they made and wish them all the very best for the future.

There will be further player announcements and details to come in the following days and weeks.

We hope these announcements will build the excitement for next season and we look forward to revealing more very soon.

C’mon the Lichties

'agreed terms' does not equal 'have signed' or a similar equivalent.

Still, if the club have decided to make this announcement it sounds like it's simply a case of putting pen to paper on the deals.

A good enough basis to work with, and if we can add some filler and half a dozen quality signings to that we'll be in business :) 

The fact we essentially have 4 wingers now makes me thing we aren't signing Denholm.

Think we will...

Kane will end up on loan again I think atleast to start with.

Linn
Ferns
Kader

Doris
Skelly
Prunty

Can see another striker coming in and another winger. The only 2 out of that group that will absolutely be expecting to play every single week are Linn and Doris.

Why sign Hester again for 1 year if your going to loan him out again. Doesn't make a great deal of sense. Skelly can play on the wing but he's more natural up front. Either Skelly or Hester should make a good partner for Doris. Skelly fits better with the way we ended last season with a front 3 of Linn Doris Skelly but very early days yet.

Why sign Hester again for 1 year if your going to loan him out again. Doesn't make a great deal of sense. Skelly can play on the wing but he's more natural up front. Either Skelly or Hester should make a good partner for Doris. Skelly fits better with the way we ended last season with a front 3 of Linn Doris Skelly but very early days yet.

I think he sees something in Kane, he's a good finisher, just needs to work on other parts of his game. Get him in at the start of the season and see how he's getting on. Hardly a massive gamble doing that.

If we're going with Doris and Skelly or Hester as his main partner in this league I think we'll struggle. Big step up this season.

I think he sees something in Kane, he's a good finisher, just needs to work on other parts of his game. Get him in at the start of the season and see how he's getting on. Hardly a massive gamble doing that.

If we're going with Doris and Skelly or Hester as his main partner in this league I think we'll struggle. Big step up this season. Both capable of making an impact but as a main striker I'm not so sure.

I don't actually think it's that a big step, yes there are better teams but Brechin showed what can be done, their team on paper looked very average to me.

you need a squad and numbers for pre season sessions and friendlies plus this stupid group cup really stretches part time teams. I would be very surprised if Hester and fearns were Arbroath players on September 1st. Would love to be proven wrong like with gold last year 

I don't actually think it's that a big step, yes there are better teams but Brechin showed what can be done, their team on paper looked very average to me.
you need a squad and numbers for pre season sessions and friendlies plus this stupid group cup really stretches part time teams. I would be very surprised if Hester and fearns were Arbroath players on September 1st. Would love to be proven wrong like with gold last year 

It's a big step up and this year will be harder than last. The Brechin team that went up lost more than they won remember.

Just look at some of the players other teams are signing then look at last year. Forfar were the best team other than us and Andy Munro and Stuart Malcolm played a lot of the season at centre half together.

It's a big step up and this year will be harder than last. The Brechin team that went up lost more than they won remember.

Just look at some of the players other teams are signing then look at last year. Forfar were the best team other than us and Andy Munro and Stuart Malcolm played a lot of the season at centre half together.

I agree that it's a big step up in terms of the top teams being full time but don't think there will be a massive jump for the part time teams. We competed well with east fife, queens park, Albion, stranraer in the past and don't think it's a big step to be competitive with them next season.

Just seen Liam Callaghan has tweeted that he has received a League 2 Championship medal in the post from AFC, despite leaving in January and only playing twice in the league. 

On that basis, it seems that Robbie Mutch, Michael Dunlop, Gary Philips and Jason Brown should also get one. 

On the Sunday after we won the league I asked if anyone knew what the criteria was for who got a medal, after Big Rab got one. Someone said that the Club got 25 medals and they decide themselves who gets one. I cannot see how that can be true, judging by how many went up to get one at Stirling (include coaching staff) if they are also sending them out in the post to former players.

Just seen Liam Callaghan has tweeted that he has received a League 2 Championship medal in the post from AFC, despite leaving in January and only playing twice in the league. 
On that basis, it seems that Robbie Mutch, Michael Dunlop, Gary Philips and Jason Brown should also get one. 
On the Sunday after we won the league I asked if anyone knew what the criteria was for who got a medal, after Big Rab got one. Someone said that the Club got 25 medals and they decide themselves who gets one. I cannot see how that can be true, judging by how many went up to get one at Stirling (include coaching staff) if they are also sending them out in the post to former players.

You can pay to get more.