The Arbroath Thread

40 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

My start of season optimism is back!  Last season, we beat St. Mirren and cruised the group stage, with Dylan Paterson looking like he was going to be a key player.  Despite our revisionism, none of us knew at the time just how miserable the season was going to become.

I'd like to see us take this seriously and play a strong team, no 3-5-2 or "experimental" line ups.  We have to show that we have moved on from last season.

I’m not sure I was ever fully convinced by Paterson to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I never fully understood why anyone thought Dylan Paterson would make it at Championship level; he didn't have a standout attribute that was better than most at this level (pace, acceleration, finishing, passing etc) and his weaknesses were obvious. It'll be interesting to see how he goes at Linlithgow this year moving up a couple of levels.... he could develop into a good lower end SPFL player.

In terms of formation/ team this evening, I'm not overly fussed really. If we weren't going to be experimental then I'd expect us to play a 4-4-1-1 at home to Cowdenbeath, which would no doubt see everyone moaning about only playing 1 up top at home to a Lowland League side. We could of course play a 4-4-2 with Scott Allan in the middle of the park, more attacking and should obviously still have enough to win the game, but going with that into the league season would see us taking a battering quite often.

In my opinion we've got some quite difficult choices to make for the league campaign - but choices that're great to have. To get our best players on the pitch, I'd argue we'd want to be playing two up front and Scott Allan in central midfield as things stand.... however if we play two up top and Allan in a midfield two we'll get overrun, especially if Stowe was also starting. A 3-5-2 is the only formation currently that gets our best players on the park in a formation that is workable..... not that I'm advocating playing it. It would allow us to get our best individual players on the pitch, but would it get the best out of the team as a whole? If we go with a 4-4-2 into the league season, I don't think Stowe would be starting and I'd suspect it to be a much more compact midfield. A 4-4-2 also means Mikey McKenna would be much less effective and his weaknesses would be shown up much more in a rigid formation if he started..... his best position by a mile is as a number 10/ attacking midfielder.

It's going to be a very difficult balancing act to get our best players on the pitch in a formation that allows them to play to the best of their ability. Whatever formation we pick we'll have options on the bench that can come on and change the way we're playing that're as good as what they replace, where as last year all we could do was play a 4-5-1 and make like for like changes which weakened the team.

Pretty much this - I hope we get that left back I mentioned to you on Saturday and everything would look a whole lot simpler. 

I think McIntosh will have to settle for being behind Bird for the moment in regards to the league so he can play uptop with Mikey behind. Dick is good for giving guys a run in the team and making sure players get on the park so he will get his chance 

I think at home we may go 4-4-2 with Bird and McIntosh, those will give most defences problems, both quick and both physical. 

Against better opposition, we may be left a bit wide open with only two in midfield and it kind of rules out playing Stowe who looks to be quite exciting in terms of his attacking attributes. Balde, Gold, Allan, McKenna, Jacobs, Norey and Dow all fighting to get into the midfield which is good for competition. Think the team at St Mirren will tell us what DC is thinking, but then again who knows what it is his mind.

Buzzing to return to Gayfield tonight with my daughter for the official start of the new season 🇱🇻⚽🔥🤩🙌  Should  be another rollercoaster but an exciting one, Looks like we are putting together some team, Average age brought down to 24 from 27, Loads more youth mixed with experience and we seem to have a well balanced team with loads of options which is something we didn’t have last year, Would expect a left winger, left back cover and a couple of Premiership loans to still come in and put the icing on the cake 

As Simon mentioned whenever it’s possible we should be getting a system sorted out that allows for us to get our best players on the pitch with the right balance that keeps us tough to break down and tight at the back but really exciting and effective going forward (Similar to 2 seasons ago)

29 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Fear of a 3-5-2 with that line up

It will maybe be

Gaston

Steele

Little

ToB

Stewart

McKenna

Gold

Allan 

Dow

Turan 

Bird

Was looking forward to seeing Stowe and McIntosh but both on bench, hopefully Turan does something because if he can’t here that’s no great 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It will be

Gaston

Steele

Little

ToB

Stewart

McKenna

Gold

Allan 

Dow

Turan 

Bird

Was looking forward to seeing Stowe and McIntosh but both on bench, hopefully Turan does something because if he can’t here that’s no great 

Yep, great minds and all that 

19 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

The reason I clicked on an Arbroath thread is this.

i'm amazed at the number of Lichtie posters on this forum but not quite so amazed at the number of their supporters.

In other words...you dont turn up (granted last season you did...a bit).

Since your here, thanks for the eight points last season, definitely helped our survival, without Morton, we were much worse than both Hamilton and Cove, ta

Getting a bit dejavu here. We sign an exciting young player from lower leagues yet he’s stuck on the bench behind David Gold 

nothing against Goldy, we know what he’s capable of but we need more flair / creativity / goals in the team 

Edited by Smokerson

4 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Getting a bit dejavu here. We sign an exciting young player from lower leagues yet he’s stuck on the bench behind David Gold 

nothing against Goldy, we know what he’s capable of but we need more flair / creativity / goals in the team 

Yeah feels like exactly the kind of game you’d want to see him in and we’d need him in 😂 

7 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Presumably Gold gives us the (tactical and positional) flexibility that the formation needs?    Its not the team I would have chosen, but I'm just so happy that the season is starting that I am parking all negativity.  Positive vibes only!  Channelling my inner Clashy.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

25 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You can see that we're a new team, passes are going askew, crosses are going behind, but you'll get that when you have a new formation, new players, and existing players playing new roles.  Not too concerned so far!

Name a team in Scotland that isn't in the same situation.