The Arbroath Thread

After watching highlights back it doesn’t seem as bad as I remember - main disappointment was how poor Tam and Ricky were (which is unlike them) and how easy we were to walk right through the middle of - looking for a big improvement on Saturday 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

After watching highlights back it doesn’t seem as bad as I remember - main disappointment was how poor Tam and Ricky were (which is unlike them) and how easy we were to walk right through the middle of - looking for a big improvement on Saturday 

They were poor but it wasn’t helped that they had no cover in front of them. No9 (who i was impressed with apart from his penalty) played on the shoulder and we were undone by simple punts over the top. I though their no6 was a tidy enough player too.

There no 6 was the best Midfielder on the park, that's quite worrying,  lost count how many times Cowden broke through the middle of the park, we are so lightweight in there....

Turan is getting a hard time but his main objective is to put the ball in the back of the net and he is yet to do that, 

As said by many we were set up wrong last night with players in the wrong position again, seems to happen so much, Stewart playing lefback, Mckenna just playing anywhere to keep him on the park, surely it's obvious our best formation over last few seasons has been 4-4-1, just play that and play our best players in there best positions, 

Was a great opportunity to get some momentum and give fans something to be positive about but apart from Steele and a little of Stowe who 100% should of started 

50 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

There no 6 was the best Midfielder on the park, that's quite worrying,  lost count how many times Cowden broke through the middle of the park, we are so lightweight in there....

Turan is getting a hard time but his main objective is to put the ball in the back of the net and he is yet to do that, 

As said by many we were set up wrong last night with players in the wrong position again, seems to happen so much, Stewart playing lefback, Mckenna just playing anywhere to keep him on the park, surely it's obvious our best formation over last few seasons has been 4-4-1, just play that and play our best players in there best positions, 

Was a great opportunity to get some momentum and give fans something to be positive about but apart from Steele and a little of Stowe who 100% should of started 

Last night was pretty awful but it was only a week ago I thought we looked like a decent side against a good Dundee team - hopefully the glaring issues are resolved come start of league season 

Had a wee nosey back at what our midfield was in some of our better performances and results since the turn of the year and it seems to be a Balde - Gold - McKenna combination - obviously all 3 still at the club - don’t like saying this as he’s obviously talented and actually working hard to be in the side but I don’t think Allan can be a starter for us.

Know people have said that before but I think he has deserved a chance to get fit and into the team but if he starts he’d have to play in McKennas position with 2 guys who could get about the park behind him. McKenna is too important to us to drop so it can’t happen. It’s one or the other and it’s going to have to be Mikey 

Jury still out on Slater too - has he got the dig and legs to be able to start in there over Gold. That’s without even getting on to Norey or Jacobs 

Really wish we’d managed to get Hetherington - think that would’ve been a case of problem solved 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

image.png.20501aec533cda260a634f4eeea60a5c.png

Whatta team! ;) 

Very good friend of mine their Greig Henslee,Next to him is Kevin Heenan?

We all went to magaluf together and Heenan was just back from a trial at Liverpool a couple days before we left good lad so he was.Henner hung up his boots a couple seasons ago now played with Hawkes bay Utd in NZ then finished his career in Oz.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Joao Balde on winning the 1st TASC Social Media Man of the Match of the 2023/24 season for his performance in our Lichties penalty shootout victory over Cowdenbeath. 

Last seasons TASC new signing of the season award winner was superb when introduced in the 2nd half and nearly won us the game when hitting the bar after a scintillating mazy through the cowden defence.

IMG_7577.jpeg

11 minutes ago, mo83 said:

We all went to magaluf together and Heenan was just back from a trial at Liverpool a couple days before we left good lad so he was.Henner hung up his boots a couple seasons ago now played with Hawkes bay Utd in NZ then finished his career in Oz.

Kevin Heenan was one of the most exciting youngsters I ever saw (imo).  The fact that he didn't get it together and have a glorious career is almost a tragedy.  

2 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Kevin Heenan was one of the most exciting youngsters I ever saw (imo).  The fact that he didn't get it together and have a glorious career is almost a tragedy.  

Yeah so I'm led to believe never saw much of him play myself but am sure Liverpool and Celtic were sniffing about him.

3 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Yeah so I'm led to believe never saw much of him play myself but am sure Liverpool and Celtic were sniffing about him.

Was he not supposed to go on trial and he missed his bus or something? 

ETA - trial at Liverpool 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

ETA - trial at Liverpool 

He missed the bus for a match, but that was very much a final straw after countless other things, if I recall correctly.  

Edited by ExiledLichtie

18 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What will is my question? How can we have so many central midfield players but not one of them is purely defensive minded (Jacobs aside and he’s worse than hopeless)

Feel like Balde is the best we’ve got for that by a fair bit and that’s just because he has a bit about him, throws himself into tackles and gets about the park really well 

McKenna will play behind the striker (fkn hope he does anyway) 

So what 2 play? 

Balde and Slater, McKenna back into No10, behind Bird 

13 minutes ago, ecto said:

Balde and Slater, McKenna back into No10, behind Bird 

Fingers crossed this is good to go and works out as hoped - getting Slater match time before United could be important 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

It is indeed ;) 

I think picture is as follows....

Craig Wight, Ewan Graham, Paul Farquharson, Jim Gardner, Unsure, Darren Spink, Unsure, Unsure, Kevin McMullan, Mark Anderson

Paul Brownlie, Steve Florence, Kevin Steele, Greig Henslee, Kevin Heenan, Gavin Swankie

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

ETA - trial at Liverpool 

He definitely was at Liverpool because I remember on that trip a story he told about megging Abel Xavier in a bounce game,a think he missed the Arbroath bus for a game though am sure he did.