The Arbroath Thread

3 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Can she play left back?

And on the Challenge Cup question - no thanks, would rather be pumped out by Bonnyrigg or East Kilbride and concentrate on the league.

This attitude baffles me, I'd love to see a Challenge Cup win, and its a winnable trophy.  Anything that distracts from the misery of the league is a good thin....

...ah wait, we've drawn Inverness.  f**k's sake.  Lets concentrate on the league.

12 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

£5 ticket for the cup get a crowd in cause I highly doubt folk will go to that. Piss poor draw again 

This is a terrible idea whenever its suggested.  Why offer cheap tickets for a terrible crime against football which will make newcomers run in horror and never come back?  If we are going to offer cheap tickets, it should be when things are going well!

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

This attitude baffles me, I'd love to see a Challenge Cup win, and its a winnable trophy.  Anything that distracts from the misery of the league is a good thin....

...ah wait, we've drawn Inverness.  f**k's sake.  Lets concentrate on the league.

Normally I would be quite excited by the prospect of a cup run and an “exotic” opponent but this season I would rather every single ounce of effort was put into ensuring our Championship status.

That includes the Scottish Cup too. Ok, id be happy with a moneyspinning draw for that but otherwise couldn’t care less this season.

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

This is a terrible idea whenever its suggested.  Why offer cheap tickets for a terrible crime against football which will make newcomers run in horror and never come back?  If we are going to offer cheap tickets, it should be when things are going well!

It’s not just for newbies tho eh? Anyway would have to run it by Inverness if the gate is being split. 

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Got excited when I seen a signing announcement……..it’s for the woman’s team 😞

Delighted we’ve got a ladies team but I wish they would stop announcing all these signings when we’re so desperate for news of a LB etc.

I also wish we would start a youth team again. The photo on FB 2 days ago of the team from the late 90s proved that it worked in bringing players through. I reckon about half of those players ended up playing for the first team or beyond.

Edited by Tattie36

It’s a diddy cup that not many folk are interested in and aren’t probably willing to pay the £15 it would probably cost. 

im certainly not interested in going to it but that’s just me. Was just an idea to bump the crowd up 

7 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Challenge/spfl trust/Jobies Cup draw today. 

Anyone fancy Cliftonville, Coleraine, The New Saints or Bala Town away?

Oh no, this cup should have been put out of its misery years ago, pointless cup

7 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Its a winnable national cup!  Every single Arbroath fan on here would be absolutely delighted to have their name on an actual (non forfarshire) cup!

These cups are always deemed pointless until your team gets down to the quarters or further then it ain't quite so pointless and fans would like to see a cup win.

Can't remember the last decent cup run we had apart from season 77 although we must have had but i've forgotten.

19 minutes ago, keptie said:

These cups are always deemed pointless until your team gets down to the quarters or further then it ain't quite so pointless and fans would like to see a cup win.

Can't remember the last decent cup run we had apart from season 77 although we must have had but i've forgotten.

The obvious one is the 1993 Scottish Cup. A decent run after taking two attempts to beat the mighty Gala Fairydean then beating Morton and East Fife before losing 0-3 to a very good Rangers team in the quarter final.

Wasn’t that the year Rangers made a very good attempt at winning the inaugural Champions League, conned by a bribed ref v Marseille in what was effectively the semi final?

Edited by Tattie36

39 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Its a winnable national cup!  Every single Arbroath fan on here would be absolutely delighted to have their name on an actual (non forfarshire) cup!

Bigger fish to fry

25 minutes ago, keptie said:

No me, haven’t been to a tie for years, won’t be going to this one

4 minutes ago, ecto said:

Bigger fish to fry

No me, haven’t been to a tie for years, won’t be going to this one

If we got to the final of one of these pointless cups you'd be there parading with the cup 😉

38 minutes ago, ecto said:

Bigger fish to fry

I mean, is that the case?  If we won the challenge cup, we'd be talking about it for decades to come.  Will we be talking about one more season fighting it out in the Championship and winning 6 games?  I doubt it.  I also don't understand the "concentrate on the league" argument.  We are capable of doing both.

In addition, maybe its just me, but I don't think us being in the championship is the be all and end all.  We'll be relegated one day, might be this year, might be another year, and to me, it won't make a lot of difference.  I'm not a particularly ambitious fan, when I come to the football, I just want a nice day out!

11 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I mean, is that the case?  If we won the challenge cup, we'd be talking about it for decades to come.  Will we be talking about one more season fighting it out in the Championship and winning 6 games?  I doubt it.  I also don't understand the "concentrate on the league" argument.  We are capable of doing both.

In addition, maybe its just me, but I don't think us being in the championship is the be all and end all.  We'll be relegated one day, might be this year, might be another year, and to me, it won't make a lot of difference.  I'm not a particularly ambitious fan, when I come to the football, I just want a nice day out!

Well not for me and, I would imagine the majority of our support.

I would rather scrape a final day 8th place finish, like last season, than win the Challenge Cup.

Being in the Championship has transformed the club, long may it continue.

Just ask Accies if they would swap last season’s challenge cup win for staying up, I’m pretty sure I know the majority answer. Oh and I don’t think their fans will be talking  about it for decades to come either.

And you’re obviously showing ambition in wanting to win a cup no matter how shitty it is.

Edited by Tattie36