The Arbroath Thread

34 minutes ago, arabdelic said:

Have a certain level of sympathy with this view but I don't think this helps 

"Because they used to have a different name 100 years ago? What’s all that about?" Dick Campbell rages at SPFL as Arbroath boss goes on rant over Dundee United fixture change

See when United brought a full strength team to Arbroath less than 24 hours after playing a league game so Arbroath could celebrate winning a match 100 years earlier. What's all that about? 

image.jpeg.ddeb5f4dd6b96f1ab96f0274d202921a.jpegimage.jpeg.b06843a386b515c2026691b9c5da5d82.jpeg

I didn't realise that league points were awarded for this friendly fixture.

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

I didn't realise that league points were awarded for this friendly fixture.

To try and defend the moving of the game next month, is just as bad as the game being moved

38 minutes ago, arabdelic said:

"Because they used to have a different name 100 years ago? What’s all that about?" Dick Campbell rages at SPFL as Arbroath boss goes on rant over Dundee United fixture change

See when United brought a full strength team to Arbroath less than 24 hours after playing a league game so Arbroath could celebrate winning a match 100 years earlier. What's all that about? 

image.jpeg.ddeb5f4dd6b96f1ab96f0274d202921a.jpegimage.jpeg.b06843a386b515c2026691b9c5da5d82.jpeg

A kick about this game

5 minutes ago, ecto said:

To try and defend the moving of the game next month, is just as bad as the game being moved

WTF?

I was taking the piss out of the United fan's attempt to conflate a friendly commemorating a world record with their moving a league game for such an inconsequential reason. Surely that was obvious?

We weren't even in the same leagus as United in 1985!

Edited by lichtgilphead

1 hour ago, arabdelic said:

Why don't you follow our example and invite a team for a friendly on the Friday then?  Then we can play you on the Saturday?

53 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

WTF?

I was taking the piss out of the United fan's attempt to conflate a friendly commemorating a world record with their moving a league game for such an inconsequential reason. Surely that was obvious?

We weren't even in the same leagus as United in 1985!

Am on you’re side here, I also think it’s ridiculous, and yes it was obvious 

Seems very strange that both teams weren’t ask to consent to the move / raise any objections before going ahead with the change.

Genuine question - you guys must have midweek fixtures throughout the season. Is there any sort of noticeable difference in the performance and / or results you get compared to a Saturday fixture? 

11 minutes ago, UtdFan said:

Seems very strange that both teams weren’t ask to consent to the move / raise any objections before going ahead with the change.

Genuine question - you guys must have midweek fixtures throughout the season. Is there any sort of noticeable difference in the performance and / or results you get compared to a Saturday fixture? 

Thank you, very reasonable. 

And it’s honestly hard to tell, overall though I would say no I do not notice any difference.

However I don’t actually have to do anything other than turn up and watch, actually being a player who has to do it and putting myself into their shoes it would definitely be much more of a pain in the arse.

26 minutes ago, UtdFan said:

On reflection, there’s probably some sort of drop off in midweek games, but I think, for me, the issue is, the absolute nonsense reason, for the change

1 hour ago, UtdFan said:

I think in the midweek games we look more leggy heading into the last 20 minutes or so and that will be down too having worked part of the day. They will still try and prepare as best they can but they won’t have a freedom the day of the game like a full time player. Yes they can take annual leave etc but our players need to balance out all the annual leave over the course of the season for personal use and for football. 
I do hear that a lot the work places are really good accommodating them getting away but it will be an issue most midweek games.

on the fitness part also generally we are just as fit as any team in the league maybe better than some but in mid week games I notice we drop off towards the end of games maybe just me but who knows players will obviously know best 

I don't think we should have mentioned work commitments etc as part of our reasons to object. 

The main thing is the game should be played as scheduled unless moved for reasons such as tv. 

The whole celebrating a name change is no reason to bring the game forward a day and put home and away fans out without any real reason. 

It just seems they want to move the game to inconvenience us and we should have the right to refuse. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Great to see McKenna back to his best in recent weeks. Another performance full of energy and drive yesterday. His cross for the 4th was beautiful as well.  

He is such a massive player for us. 

I thought him and Hylton in particular combined brilliantly.  There seems to be a real synergy there.

16 minutes ago, WHM said:

I m sure Arbroath had a celebration planned a few years back,were planning a big dinner on the pitch, marquee tent.I m sure we asked SFL and Annan to change the game,Annan said no end of.

Which they were perfectly entitled to do too. 

I think we may have found a real gem in Hylton, hope we can keep him for the season. He’s so quick and actually really clever too. 

5 hours ago, ecto said:

On reflection, there’s probably some sort of drop off in midweek games, but I think, for me, the issue is, the absolute nonsense reason, for the change

and the people who are attempting to justify it