The Arbroath Thread

43 minutes ago, Blawin a Hoolie said:

Dodged a bullet wi Ryan Reynolds and his mate choosing no to invest….👀

would have been box office tho with him and Dick!

Would’ve been very good fun for a couple of years and doubt it would take too much cash to leave us in a good place and back to where we are right now after they’d left and moved on

Time will tell. Some guys are excellent “coaches” but hopeless “managers”. Hope he’s been brought in purely as the former and is just going to complement the team already in place. There’s a huge difference between being involved in coaching sessions and drills etc, as opposed to man management, picking the lineup, formation, tactics, substitutions, signings etc etc etc.

Wasn’t Todd Lumsden very highly regarded (by some) as a coach? Yet he was horrific as a club manager.

Edited by Tattie36

1 hour ago, tbsouth said:

One of the worst managers in Forfars history.....congratulations 👎

He will be a coach

I imagine Dick just talked to him after Berwick announced that they were utterly fucked financially. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Can’t see there being any succession planning there at all. When Dick hangs up the bunnet I would imagine we will be able to attract a very good manager to replace him.  Welcome back to Malky, looks a positive move and hopefully welcomed by the players, he’ll maybe have some fresh ideas on the training pitch, can’t see his involvement being much more than that. 

43 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

Has he had an immediate effect?? 

That’s just what can happen when you come up against teams like United in the league at Tannadice unfortunately - although I do realise you’ll never know that feeling 

18 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Anyway, welcome back Hammy. 

Yup. Would completely write that off tonight. Take the positive you’ve mentioned - some work out for the team and Hammy and move on to next week

5 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

That was down to Dick tonight. You don’t start with 3 strikers against a team flying so high who already stuffed us 4-0. We wouldn’t have won but could have avoided this embarrassment. 

Hylton is a winger and played wide left - Turan is maybe inberween but I don’t see what difference someone else playing in his position would’ve made to anything - to be completely honest with you 

Pumped by a much better team who wanted to put on a show infront of a big crowd on a slick surface - simple as that 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hylton is a winger and played wide left - Turan is maybe inberween but I don’t see what difference someone else playing in his position would’ve made to anything - to be completely honest with you 

I think it shows what Dow brings.  By having one out and out attacking player (such as Hylton or Turan) on one side, and then a more withdrawn wide midfielder like Dow on the other side, it gives our midfield a better balance, more width and provides cover for the full backs. 

When you play 2 all out attackers like we did, then you end up effectively playing a 4 -3 -3 , but with McKenna roaming , it means you end up with 2 narrow centre midfielders, and means their wingers and full backs have a clear route straight to our full backs.  Against a tactically aware and highly skilled and pacy team like Dundee United, they were always going to eat us alive.  We might get away with it against other teams, but Dundee United are too good.  

All that being said though, I completely agree with you, I don't think we were ever going to win that match, regardless of how we were set up!

Edited by ExiledLichtie

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I think it shows what Dow brings.  By having one out and out attacking player (such as Hylton or Turan) on one side, and then a more withdrawn wide midfielder like Dow on the other side, it gives our midfield a better balance, more width and provides cover for the full backs. 

When you play 2 all out attackers like we did, then you end up effectively playing a 4 -3 -3 , but with McKenna roaming , it means you end up with 2 narrow centre midfielders, and means their wingers and full backs have a clear route straight to our full backs.  Against a tactically aware and highly skilled and pacy team like Dundee United, they were always going to eat us alive.  We might get away with it against other teams, but Dundee United are too good.  

All that being said though, I completely agree with you, I don't think we were ever going to win that match, regardless of how we were set up!

Aye. Honestly just don’t think personnel really mattered there. 

Said in the match thread. Docherty their Centre Mid drops in to play with the 2 centre halves and keeper. They pass it about, if you press too high they just play it through into Sibbald in the midfield who is good enough to take it and move it forward or wide himself.

On the wings their 2 wingers come inside the pitch and their full backs effectively play on the wing, if our wingers drop too deep then we would have a flat back 6 near enough with United able to move the ball up the park very easily.

When we did try and close them down from the front when they had the ball they were good enough to play the long diagonals to one of their 2 full backs who were then in a 2 on 1 position against our full back. When our winger and Gold or Slater shuffled over to help they had Sibbald, Watt, and the left or right winger inside making runs in behind. 

It was a fkn nightmare for us there. The weather didn’t help either, that wet slick surface helped them out with their movement and passing which was so quick and made it a c**t to try and defend against especially trying to clear all the good balls into the box. 

An evening to forget 

As we've both agreed, I don't think it would have won us the game, and hindsight etc. etc. but I do wonder if there was a case for starting Stowe/Norey instead of one of Turan/Hylton, and then asking him to sit deeper so we had more width.  A natural wider player like Norey might have balanced our team better.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

Partick Thistle at home next week a good fixture to have I feel - a good team but one we’ve recently beat comfortably - if Hamilton is ok then I would put him left back and Stewart to right midfield 

Gaston

Steele

Little

ToB

Hamilton

Gold

Slater 

Stewart

McKenna 

Hylton

Bird

First time we will have been able to play our strongest line up this season - in my opinion

The start to the game basically killed it as a contest. They are stratospheres above anyone in the league but doesn’t help when iii gift them goals. 

We could’ve set ourselves up more defensively and played it really cagey but the result would’ve been the same. A poor night but United will do that to a lot of teams if they are in that form, 5.0 they scudded thistle last week. 

Hope Dow is back fit. He’s pivotal in that system

2 minutes ago, keptie said:

Be glad to finally get a game on a Saturday next week.....hopefully.

Couldn't make the game last night, how did Hammy do after getting on the pitch?

Did ok. Was completely gubbed fitness wise from about 75 mins as expected 

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Fingers crossed that Steele learns from last night and uses it as motivation to kick on and improve instead of it denying his confidence. 

Lesson for Steele? Tell Dick where to go when he picks a slow centre forward to play in front of you against the best winger in the league.