The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, keptie said:

Be glad to finally get a game on a Saturday next week.....hopefully.

Couldn't make the game last night, how did Hammy do after getting on the pitch?

Fine considering he was up against one of the quickest wingers in the league and we were absolutely battered - I would like to see him start now with Stewart right midfield - in my opinion when that happens that is a solid team 

15 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I don't think with ICT & Morton winning, results went our way, as both close the gap.

Yes, it is getting very tight in the league now, 5 points between 4th and bottom

24 minutes ago, redscot said:

Other results went our way after a bad night at the office. Onwards and upwards. 

Really? I think the results went as badly as they possibly could this weekend. The league has really tightened up now and we’re only 4 points off bottom.

Would much rather a couple of teams were cut adrift at the bottom. We need to get any ideas of promotion or playoffs out of our heads and concentrate on survival. 

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Really? I think the results went as badly as they possibly could this weekend. The league has really tightened up now and we’re only 4 points off bottom.

Would much rather a couple of teams were cut adrift at the bottom. We need to get any ideas of promotion or playoffs out of our heads and concentrate on survival. 

What’s the difference on concentrating on survival and aiming for a higher finish up the table. How do you approach games differently if you are just concentrating on survival. Play for draws ? Makes no sense to me. You play every game with trying to and expecting to win other the United games and possibly Raith away as things stand. 

7 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

What’s the difference on concentrating on survival and aiming for a higher finish up the table. How do you approach games differently if you are just concentrating on survival. Play for draws ? Makes no sense to me. You play every game with trying to and expecting to win other the United games and possibly Raith away as things stand. 

That’s not what I mean at all.

Of course we want to play every game to win, end up with a many points as possible and as high up the table as possible but wanting the teams around us to lose to the teams at the bottom just to keep us in contention is dangerous thinking imo.

Doesn’t appear to be anyone as poor as Accies, Cove or us last season so it’s going to be very very tight.

18 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

That’s not what I mean at all.

Of course we want to play every game to win, end up with a many points as possible and as high up the table as possible but wanting the teams around us to lose to the teams at the bottom just to keep us in contention is dangerous thinking imo.

Doesn’t appear to be anyone as poor as Accies, Cove or us last season so it’s going to be very very tight.

We weren’t at the races last night but I’m looking at the positives of 6 wins in 7 games against full time teams before yesterday. That kind of form takes you up the top end of tables 

48 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

First quarter of the season done (albeit only played 7 of the teams). 12 points and fifth. Job done. 

Take 12 points every quarter, then we’ll be fine, or 10 wins between now and the end of the season, will probably be enough 

Dick has to take a lot of the blame for friday night. 1st game of the season v united we went very bold with mcintosh, bird and hylton as our front 3 and it backfired massively. So instead of packing the midfield or even 5 at the back we go with turan bird and hylton with mckenna too? Incredibly naive against by far the best team in the league. Hopefully we can move on quickly and get back to business v thistle.