The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Think people forgetting how awful Balde was at the start of the season.

Aye. Rotten against United in the season opener and absolutely anonymous in his last game (I think) against QOS in the challenge cup. 

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Aye. Rotten against United in the season opener and absolutely anonymous in his last game (I think) against QOS in the challenge cup. 

Also the game against ICT he came on and shelled the ball out of play a good few times. Just don't think he ever properly won the managements trust, but also think we barely saw him in his best position (number 10 imo). I heard him and dick had an argument after the QOS game, but imagine McIntyre will give him a chance at least.

2 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Also the game against ICT he came on and shelled the ball out of play a good few times. Just don't think he ever properly won the managements trust, but also think we barely saw him in his best position (number 10 imo). I heard him and dick had an argument after the QOS game, but imagine McIntyre will give him a chance at least.

He was played out wide at Palmerston, that’s certainly not his position. 

As Iv said after his drink driving charge I don’t want him back at Gayfield but I’m pretty sure he will return in January and feature 

Balde was punted out on loan after a fall out with Dick.

A number of players felt Balde had been poorly treated. Hence issues behind the scenes.

Probably another reason why Dick decided to leave as squad morale and harmony was getting worse.

Have balde in the squad in a heart beat. He’s got bags of pace and energy which we lack imo and people go on about mistakes and form everyone in the team has made mistakes this season some pretty awful ones and they are our experienced players and even there form has been rubbish pretty consistently too. 

That bench on Saturday was dire balde on that would of been one of the first changes to be brought on 

I’ve taken a wee bit of time and watched highlights back before commenting on Saturdays game

In my opinion we actually played alright. First half especially I noticed a real effort to get the ball up the wings, from full back to Stewart / McIntosh and then up to Hylton / Bird in the channels or inside to Slater or Gold. Think we tried to play and created some good chances. Bird does so well but should have squared it, think the guy behind him definitely put him off his stride. Steele has to do better with his chance too. 

The goal we lost sums up the run we’ve been on. Just so poor, Slater giving the ball away  in a dangerous area which catches everyone out and it’s an easy pass run and finish. 

Second half starts and it’s a noticeable change. Don’t know if by instruction or not but we launched it the first 5 minutes of that half, maybe to try and play in their half as we had the wind and a monsoon at our backs. 

Finally settled into the game and made a few chances. For the goal Bird does so so well, his work rate to get back and win that ball before playing in the higher up the park Stewart, who has a great cut back to Gold - good finish and it’s 1-1. At that point I thought we were going on to win the game. 

It was pretty close after that. Ultimately a long throw into the box won it for them. As soon as the ball dropped you just knew what was going to happen. 

See everything that we’ve been used to seeing from an Arbroath team, even last year we had this, we always got stuck in, looked water tight and got our foot in, always looked reasonably solid in this league. 

This year I fancy us to lose a goal every time the opposition are in and around our box. It’s always like every 50/50 goes against us but I don’t think that’s being unlucky. Think we are extremely low on confidence clearly and also lack that bite within the team which does not help. 

I think we need a good bit of work here. Some legs and physicality in the middle of the park and at the back. 

I hope Ricky Little is ok - very sad to see him stretchered off. 

At this moment in time I don’t think I’ve ever been more frustrated at what I’m seeing on the park and I’m not sure how we get out of this rut. 

I have a feeling the game on Wednesday night will be done and dusted by half time and then things don’t really get easier on Saturday. 

January needs to hurry up and McIntyre has some job on his hands.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’ve taken a wee bit of time and watched highlights back before commenting on Saturdays game

In my opinion we actually played alright. First half especially I noticed a real effort to get the ball up the wings, from full back to Stewart / McIntosh and then up to Hylton / Bird in the channels or inside to Slater or Gold. Think we tried to play and created some good chances. Bird does so well but should have squared it, think the guy behind him definitely put him off his stride. Steele has to do better with his chance too. 

The goal we lost sums up the run we’ve been on. Just so poor, Slater giving the ball away  in a dangerous area which catches everyone out and it’s an easy pass run and finish. 

Second half starts and it’s a noticeable change. Don’t know if by instruction or not but we launched it the first 5 minutes of that half, maybe to try and play in their half as we had the wind and a monsoon at our backs. 

Finally settled into the game and made a few chances. For the goal Bird does so so well, his work rate to get back and win that ball before playing in the higher up the park Stewart, who has a great cut back to Gold - good finish and it’s 1-1. At that point I thought we were going on to win the game. 

It was pretty close after that. Ultimately a long throw into the box won it for them. As soon as the ball dropped you just knew what was going to happen. 

See everything that we’ve been used to seeing from an Arbroath team, even last year we had this, we always got stuck in, looked water tight and got our foot in, always looked reasonably solid in this league. 

This year I fancy us to lose a goal every time the opposition are in and around our box. It’s always like every 50/50 goes against us but I don’t think that’s being unlucky. Think we are extremely low on confidence clearly and also lack that bite within the team which does not help. 

I think we need a good bit of work here. Some legs and physicality in the middle of the park and at the back. 

I hope Ricky Little is ok - very sad to see him stretchered off. 

At this moment in time I don’t think I’ve ever been more frustrated at what I’m seeing on the park and I’m not sure how we get out of this rut. 

I have a feeling the game on Wednesday night will be done and dusted by half time and then things don’t really get easier on Saturday. 

January needs to hurry up and McIntyre has some job on his hands.

Watching the highlights you can see for Morton's 2nd goal we had 6 players (2 at on the boy who wins the flick on) defending the front post area. And 1 !!! player at the back. The ball getting flicked on eliminated 6 players. Suicidal defending. 

Hopefully McIntyre will work to cut this stupidity out sooner rather than later.

5 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Is ToB suspended for Wednesday?

Show him on 5 Championship yellows, so that would be a no. He needs a sixth one in or before the 18th match, at which point he misses the first Championship match that occurs 14 or more days after the sixth yellow.

Edit: Found another source (Zen Archer), indeed shows six. He’ll miss the Pars match on 23 Dec (14 days after the sixth yellow), unless it gets moved to 22 Dec, then he’d miss the Rovers match on 30 Dec.

Edited by TxRover

33 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Show him on 5 Championship yellows, so that would be a no. He needs a sixth one in or before the 18th match, at which point he misses the first Championship match that occurs 14 or more days after the sixth yellow.

Edit: Found another source (Zen Archer), indeed shows six. He’ll miss the Pars match on 23 Dec (14 days after the sixth yellow), unless it gets moved to 22 Dec, then he’d miss the Rovers match on 30 Dec.

Brilliant. Ricky Little definitely won’t be back. 

Ive genuinely no idea how we are supposed to get through to January and pick up any points at all.  

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Brilliant. Ricky Little definitely won’t be back. 

Ive genuinely no idea how we are supposed to get through to January and pick up any points at all.  

Completely agree - we are a mess.

I think I’m right in saying that we had 15/16 points by Christmas last season… and we thought that was bad… really bad.

Unfortunately I think it’s going to take a minor miracle for us to pick up enough points to stay up this season - can we find a Jack Hamilton type loan to save us like on 20/21?

Can’t blame McIntyre for any of this. The club left the management change far too late, damage was done.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Looking up i am seeing 5 yellow cards in the League. Got 1 in the Scot Cup and 1 in the Challenge Cup.

A yellow on Wednesday will mean he misses Raith (A) on the 30th. By which time come the 2nd Jan when we face United (H) McIntyre will be able able to bring in fresh bodies to bolster the defence with Little most likely still missing out.

3 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Looking up i am seeing 5 yellow cards in the League. Got 1 in the Scot Cup and 1 in the Challenge Cup.

A yellow on Wednesday will mean he misses Raith (A) on the 30th. By which time come the 2nd Jan when we face United (H) McIntyre will be able able to bring in fresh bodies to bolster the defence with Little most likely still missing out.

Championship yellows for 12/8/23 QP, 19/8/23 QP, 2/9/23 Ayr, 23/9/23 Partick, 28/11/23 Pars and 9/12/23 Morton are what Soccer Base shows. Transfermarkt doesn't show one of the QP yellows for some reason.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Championship yellows for 12/8/23 QP, 19/8/23 QP, 2/9/23 Ayr, 23/9/23 Partick, 28/11/23 Pars and 9/12/23 Morton are what Soccer Base shows. Transfermarkt doesn't show one of the QP yellows for some reason.

The one not showing was apparently given at 90 +1 in the game played on the kids pitch around Hampden. Can’t seem to find a report on the game beyond generic press updates to check.  Any Arbroath fans remember?

This used to be easy when the SFA published an up to date suspensions list but it’s not been done in over a month 

On 11/12/2023 at 13:20, parsforlife said:

The one not showing was apparently given at 90 +1 in the game played on the kids pitch around Hampden. Can’t seem to find a report on the game beyond generic press updates to check.  Any Arbroath fans remember?

This used to be easy when the SFA published an up to date suspensions list but it’s not been done in over a month 

That's what I saw on the BBC Text Updates...seems right, that’s crap.

Edited by TxRover