The Arbroath Thread

Think he is from Dundee. Probably knows Bollan and trying to help him out. Weird one though. 

ETA - is he definitely still our GK coach because unless he’s lost a few stone and been to Turkey to get his hair sewed back in the man training Hemfrey in the video the club posted on WhatsApp doesn’t look like Stuart Garden

Edited by 1320Lichtie

25 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think he is from Dundee. Probably knows Bollan and trying to help him out. Weird one though. 

ETA - is he definitely still our GK coach because unless he’s lost a few stone and been to Turkey to get his hair sewed back in the man training Hemfrey in the video the club posted on WhatsApp doesn’t look like Stuart Garden

That was Jim Butters

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

would hehave been at United the same time as Bollan and Ferguson 

8 minutes ago, ecto said:

would hehave been at United the same time as Bollan and Ferguson 

No idea. Maybe? Garden was only appointed in January maybe it was only to end of season if Butters been at training

Anyway good luck to the guy 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No idea. Maybe? Garden was only appointed in January maybe it was only to end of season if Butters been at training

Anyway good luck to the guy 

Looks like they were all at United at the same time

1 hour ago, superlichtie87 said:

Midfielder Alastair Spalding from Airdrie U18's

image.png.e3ebdf7d0018c788c62cd7b4cb32d536.png

That is quite simply absolutely sensational work from yourself, how on earth have you managed that. Brilliant! 😂

Would imagine he has come along to take in training along with our ex Airdrie boys - wonder if he will feature as a trialist. If I had to guess maybe just an extra body for the drills with Callaghan unavailable and Gallagher not in full training. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

A few thoughts that seem to have not really been mentioned so far....

Keeper wise - I think Hemfrey signing is kind of perfect. I don't think he's our guaranteed number 1 at all, but I think he has the next month or so to prove to the management that he should be. Depending on how he does/ who is available come August as a second keeper, I suspect we'll either get a backup keeper or another keeper to challenge for first choice - examples being Tom Welsh at Dundee if we're looking for a bench keeper or Ross Sinclair at St Johnstone if we're looking at a first choice keeper.

Defensively, I think it's clear that Jim McIntyre is much more interested in playing football than Dick Campbell was. Derek Gaston obviously doesn't fit this game whatsoever, nor did Ricky who has been allowed to leave and out of the current defenders we have Aaron Steele is certainly far from a 'ball player'. I suspect Steeley may find himself on the bench for a lot of the campaign - regardless of any debate about defensive qualities, the ideal of Steeley playing it around at the back scares the shit out of me quite frankly.

With a current squad of 16, I expect us to add a further one or two signings in the next few weeks, and then we'll be more looking at the loan market come August. Throughout July people will scream about signing another keeper, signing another winger, signing another central midfielder and various other things that will all happen within time when the players are available. Obviously there's a long way to go in terms of squad building but it's almost all positive stuff so far since the end of last season and the early signs for next season look good.

One thing that annoy me slightly - people talking about why we didn't keep Gats. Derek Gaston, understandably, chose to leave the club. It was his choice, it wasn't the manager or clubs choice for him to leave. We cannot force players to sign new contracts if they don't want too. It's like the Liam Henderson situation all over again - 'why did we let him go?'.... should we be threatening people into staying at the club or what? :lol: 

3 hours ago, TheRoundO said:

TASC post on X about big news coming?

If they are in the know why suggest big news coming just say what the news is ! Christmas is coming too.

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

A few thoughts that seem to have not really been mentioned so far....

Keeper wise - I think Hemfrey signing is kind of perfect. I don't think he's our guaranteed number 1 at all, but I think he has the next month or so to prove to the management that he should be. Depending on how he does/ who is available come August as a second keeper, I suspect we'll either get a backup keeper or another keeper to challenge for first choice - examples being Tom Welsh at Dundee if we're looking for a bench keeper or Ross Sinclair at St Johnstone if we're looking at a first choice keeper.

Defensively, I think it's clear that Jim McIntyre is much more interested in playing football than Dick Campbell was. Derek Gaston obviously doesn't fit this game whatsoever, nor did Ricky who has been allowed to leave and out of the current defenders we have Aaron Steele is certainly far from a 'ball player'. I suspect Steeley may find himself on the bench for a lot of the campaign - regardless of any debate about defensive qualities, the ideal of Steeley playing it around at the back scares the shit out of me quite frankly.

With a current squad of 16, I expect us to add a further one or two signings in the next few weeks, and then we'll be more looking at the loan market come August. Throughout July people will scream about signing another keeper, signing another winger, signing another central midfielder and various other things that will all happen within time when the players are available. Obviously there's a long way to go in terms of squad building but it's almost all positive stuff so far since the end of last season and the early signs for next season look good.

One thing that annoy me slightly - people talking about why we didn't keep Gats. Derek Gaston, understandably, chose to leave the club. It was his choice, it wasn't the manager or clubs choice for him to leave. We cannot force players to sign new contracts if they don't want too. It's like the Liam Henderson situation all over again - 'why did we let him go?'.... should we be threatening people into staying at the club or what? :lol: 

I didn’t know Gaston chose to leave to be quite honest with you. Gaston a brilliant player for us over the years but in the cold light of day I don’t think we’re any worse off (or better yet cause only seen Hemfrey a few times) with Hemfrey there and like I said I think his potential ceiling is really really high given his age and game time thus far I think he could kick on big time with games.

Centre of park is massive for me, really hope we get someone in to play that defensive midfielder role. Another winger too for the left hand side and couple of strikers to give us options up there.

Atleast we don’t have to worry about Jim McIntyre signing his son to play upfront for us 😂

Couple of signings this week would be ideal, 16 is fine but does it cover injuries/holidays for these games coming up? You don't want players being over worked this early on either. Sure there will be a few trialists featuring here and there.

5 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

For anyone curious Ricky Little has wound up at Beith in the WOSL

Had a feeling he would end up in the WoSL. Should be a great asset to Beith and wish him all the best.