The Arbroath Thread

10 hours ago, Waspie said:

As you say, there are questions over every other contender and the league at this stage looks like it could be pretty open. Arbroath clearly have a really good budget, have retained a few solid citizens and signed decent players for this level. Quite reasonable to establish them as early favourites on that basis. It might all go wrong. Equally, a mid table finish would be below expectation. 

And for what it's worth, we went down in 2015/16 after three seasons in the second tier and had a really good season, finishing second and losing in the play-off final on penalties (to a vastly inferior team). But went up again the year after for three more years in the Championship. We also bounced straight back up at the start of the 2000s. 

The Dunfermline team relegated in 2022 with ourselves also bounced straight back up, losing one game all season. We did the same in 2012/13, setting new points records along the way (though Rangers beat them a year later). Hamilton bounced straight back last season, albeit via the playoffs, not winning the league.  The notion that it's virtually unheard of for relegated teams at this level to win promotion back at the first time of asking is flawed. Falkirk making an arse of it for four years before finally getting it right doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Interesting, I made my claim without looking at the facts, and it seems I was badly wrong!  The clubs that came to mind for me were Airdrie, Raith, Morton, Falkirk, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath, Brechin, and I'd assumed Alloa.  As you say though, it seems a few teams have bounced straight back, which does increase the pressure a bit.

Shouldn’t be much pressure on the players in comparison to recent seasons. Being the only part time team in a division full of FT clubs who are near enough all putting a bit of money in to try and make it into the Premiership promotion places will have carried a lot more pressure than what we will have this season. Like I said before looking at the fixture list at times was daunting as a fan never mind as a player. You’d hope that a lot of players will have benefited from playing a division up especially the ones that have been here a long time.

I think most fans would see top 4 as a decent enough season and most would be reasonably happy about it especially after how miserable it’s been the last 18 month. That’s basically just top half - the manager will obviously have a bit of added pressure but the players should go and start trying to enjoy their football again because it will not have been much fun for them either recently. 

Football is all about momentum though and building on it, it is a tough start away to the L2 champions who look like they’ll be near enough the same as last season and a well drilled unit whereas we’re a new thing entirely and then the second home game against Montrose in a derby will be tough too.

My mate messaged me saying that game will be massive for McIntyre and I kind of agree. If he gets 3 points at Gayfield in that game (anything on top of that in terms of goals and performance etc would be a nice bonus) that could really turn things right around for him and us in general. There will be a big home support in that day and it could see a shift in attitudes within the fans.

Looking forward to see how it goes and really looking forward to the season. Dundee at home I don’t hold out much hope for but looking at every single game after there’s no reason why we cannot go and win it (or lose it) and it’s not a case of clearly preparing for a relegation battle, which we absolutely would’ve been suiting up for had we stayed up as this years Championship looks a really tough one. 

2 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

East fife beating Morton 2-0 as well 😶

Dick Campbell has a voodoo over them tbf. What were we? 12/13 unbeaten - we could always rely on Morton for a pick me up. 

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Dick Campbell has a voodoo over them tbf. What were we? 12/13 unbeaten - we could always rely on Morton for a pick me up. 

Just checked that and we’ve got an absolutely mental record over them wtf 😂😂 13 unbeaten against them under DC 

Can’t see either of our goalies being content with second choice, good for competition but on the contrary hope we don’t end up chopping and changing every other week. Won’t make the Dundee game which might be a blessing in disguise, but very much looking forward to the Annan game next Saturday.

Quite like the low-key approach to announcing signings.

The bells and whistles, countdown, fireworks graphics etc was great and exciting when we were flying but became a bit embarrassing in the end imo.

Haven’t seen us this close season but like the look of how the squad is coming together. Seems much more balanced.

Good to have 2 solid keepers but as previously stated hope it’s no constant chop and change between them need a settled sustained period in goals even in that’s means a few dodgy games to get settled in. Haven’t seen spalding so can’t comment but think our next bigger signings will be loans once group stage done and bigger clubs done majority of business. Still have scotty Stewart to come back which is massive for us.

squad isn’t in that bad a place tbh.  

28 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Spalding at this moment in time seems extremely meh tbh. 2 year deal Jesus…

McAdams is a very good option. 

Goalie perfectly acceptable signing, like you not sure about Spalding at all

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Quite like the low-key approach to announcing signings.

The bells and whistles, countdown, fireworks graphics etc was great and exciting when we were flying but became a bit embarrassing in the end imo.

Haven’t seen us this close season but like the look of how the squad is coming together. Seems much more balanced.

Are you suggesting any teams who aren’t “flying” shouldn’t be building some hype around a new signing? I understand a more low key announcement for a squad/youth player but any club not bigging up a first team signing is doing it wrong IMO.