The Arbroath Thread

Very good performance tonight. Defended brilliantly at times. Very impressed with Hay and Munro and even Lowden was impressive tonight. Felt the trialist at RB was caught out of position frequently in the 1st half but improved in the 2nd. Stil don't think he will be kept on. Fleming looked confident and assured between the sticks. Claimed almost everything and dealt with the few efforts on target. Stewart looked good again in the center of the park and Clarke impressed again when introduced. Hester took his goal very well and never stopped running for 90.

All things look very positive.

Hay and Munro are both units in they photos. Never realised how big Hay was, there's no lack of pace there either, especially with Munro who actually looks quite fast. Wouldn't like to have Lumsdens problem and choose that centre half pairing for the season with Little still to come back into it.

Clarke signed up, great stuff

Now looking very strong defensively

Already mentioned the centre back situation, now Clarke can step in there too if needed

Right backs - Wilson/Little+Whatley if required

Left backs - Lowdon+Johnstone

Centre halfs - Hay, Little, Munro +Clarke if required

7/8 strong defensive options between they 4 positions

Have to say I am delighted we have got Clarke, to start with I wouldve been ok with it as cover but now he looks like he could be pushing for a start, great range of passing and very good on the ball, really compliments Keiran Stewart if we were to go with the 2 holding players like we have done so far in the friendlies. Whatley is el capitano so imagine he will be a nailed on starter and it will chop and change with others depending on the game.

Claims to be a striker, never really impressed so kinda surprised you lot have given him a deal.

Strange that as strikers is the only position we aren't short of - we already have Andy Jackson, Robert Thomson and Dene Shields.

Strange that as strikers is the only position we aren't short of - we already have Andy Jackson, Robert Thomson and Dene Shields.

He's most definitely a striker. My boss helped out at Michelin boys for years. Thing is he's got ability but his attitude is shite. He doesn't put the effort in. He played as a trialist for us last season and scored 2 good goals, we signed him, he got off to a good start and then Murray and McManus came on to a game and he never got played as much. After he dropped out as a starter for a few games he looked a totally different player whenever he played. Moaning about everyone and everything. I'm shocked he's went up to league 1, shocked. Was expecting him to chuck it or drop to junior tbh.

That looks like him.

Buchan I thought didn't look too bad with Dods beside him in the first half, seemed very out of sorts in the second half next to Chico. He also didn't have Fusco infront of him second half either so he was a bit more exposed.

Was playing centre half for Brechin in that friendly, next to Dods, the manager, and got a contract!

Mind blowing stuff

Had more awkward away trips than that before bud. Elgin away and Annan away midweek last year was it not? Edinburghs pretty central atleast. Sure it won't be a problem.

Of course the two locations you mention are more awkward for midweek, but this one was avoidable. Weather affected matches are one thing but this fixture change was simply down to the ridiculous situation with the football authorities. If we had drawn any other team the we would have been playing at 3 pm on Saturday. But because Hearts are a PL side they should never have been in this round as their season starts that weekend, whereas all other leagues are the following weekend.

So, because of the ineptitude of the people who run the game whoever were drawn against Hearts were going to have a fixture change. That was obvious as far back as May. For a professional side in the Championship it wouldn't have mattered for their players, as they are full time. But for all part time clubs this situation was going to cause a disruption and difficulty for players having to get time off work. Bobby Linn has already commented on this.

You are right that Edinburgh is not a huge journey and it would have been worse for Elgin (or Brora if they had beaten Montrose), but is is an unnecessary fixture change that could have been avoided if the powers that be, had thought ahead.

That said, I do believe that they are looking at resolving this before the draw next year.

Brechin have signed Kevin Buchan having played as a trialist last night. I see he was released by you guys which doesn't fill me with confidence. What position does he play?

Usually sub!! He is supposed to be a striker but he looks to me like he wears his boots on the wrong feet most of the time!! Can't believe he is ready for the step up to League 1 when he could hardly get a game in League 2 last season.