The Arbroath Thread

I go to Gayfield to support the team,not play at pretend manager,the point i'm making is i'm gonna back Campbell's managerial judgement,if he thinks Gold is worth keeping in whatever position i'm gonna trust him,but for some of the support to be having a go already is ridiculous,Lumsden got an easy ride here from the support considering where he put us so to start moaning about Dick already..ffs

Fair enough - but who is moaning about Dick? I've pointed out a few indisputable facts, and it seems several people seem to think I've condemned Dick and that I'm moaning about him/ his team and the appointment itself?! :blink:

I shall repeat what I said before - Dick should be given the full summer to make his signings and the first half of next season before he is fully judged.

Pedantic or what.

If you really want to be that way then yes, I did initially say that, then after you replied j went on to explain how I had meant in comparison to other players.

It's not pedantic. They're two entirely different comments!! In my opinion, you've essentially changed your argument halfway through the debate after initially being asked to back up your original opinion and being unable to do so and finding yourself in agreement with what I said.

I go to Gayfield to support the team,not play at pretend manager,the point i'm making is i'm gonna back Campbell's managerial judgement,if he thinks Gold is worth keeping in whatever position i'm gonna trust him,but for some of the support to be having a go already is ridiculous,Lumsden got an easy ride here from the support considering where he put us so to start moaning about Dick already..ffs

There's only a few. Comparing the 2 records between him and Lumsden this season is just totally ridiculous.

Also the fact that he was successful at Forfar seems to have gave a few people a dislike to him from the off. Some of the comments are pretty funny reading and also quite naive.

If you were to speak to DC yourself you'd love him, he has a record, players do love him and he is in charge of our club.

I'm extremely happy with it to be honest and if he wants to re sign David Gold he can do it he can sign the whole Gold family for all I care.

I've spent most of this season backing our ex manager while people like yourself berated him week in week out and moaned about the players, the manager, the board and almost everything and everyone connected to the club for months on end.

Anyone who doesn't back Dick to build his own squad and give him basically the rest of this calendar year to show what he can do is obviously being a bit silly. However, I've not seen anyone who isn't prepared to do this? I've seen a few people say in their opinion we have regressed under Dick with the squad we have, which was the same squad Todd had, and the facts back that up. It is indisputable that results have been worse under Dick than they were under Todd, and Dick has been working with the same players. Obviously they're not Dick's players so it would be unfair to fully judge him on these results, but 7 points in 10 games is a far worse record than Todd was being berated week in week out for.

Pointed out the above isn't necessarily moaning. It is simply pointing out indisputable facts.

"and Dick has been working with the same players." and playing them in the same positions,why not Whatley at right back?,why not Lowden left wing?,why not Reid behind the strikers?

He didn't use his managerial skills to the full,it was as if "lets get this over and done with and move on"

There's only a few. Comparing the 2 records between him and Lumsden this season is just totally ridiculous.

Also the fact that he was successful at Forfar seems to have gave a few people a dislike to him from the off. Some of the comments are pretty funny reading and also quite naive.

If you were to speak to DC yourself you'd love him, he has a record, players do love him and he is in charge of our club.

I'm extremely happy with it to be honest and if he wants to re sign David Gold he can do it he can sign the whole Gold family for all I care.

"If you were to speak to DC yourself you'd love him", wow thats a bold staement

"and Dick has been working with the same players." and playing them in the same positions,why not Whatley at right back?,why not Lowden left wing?,why not Reid behind the strikers?

He didn't use his managerial skills to the full,it was as if "lets get this over and done with and move on"

He did play Lowdon left wing at QP away, and he was pretty bad so was hooked at HT. He hasn't played Whatley RB (apart from the second half yesterday) because i'd imagine he wanted a look at Wilson and Williams there. Edited by Lichtie78

Read back some of the posts and you will see.

Whenever I disagree with someones opinion I quote what I disagree with. Several people here seem to disagree with me, but no-one has been able to directly quote anything I've seen and say why they disagree with it?

It would be outrageous if anyone disliked Dick because he was successful with Forfar. I firmly believe Dick will make some good signings this summer and turn things around based on his success with Forfar, and Brechin also going further back.

Regarding speaking to Dick and loving him - I see this as an utter irrelevance. I will judge Dick based on how he does as manager of Arbroath FC, not on his obvious charisma and gift of the gab. However, said charisma is obviously a big part of his man management and ability to attract players and get them running through brick walls for him.

Simon and Specky forming an alliance, never thought I'd see the day

I can assure you there is no alliance! ;) ;)

Whenever I disagree with someones opinion I quote what I disagree with. Several people here seem to disagree with me, but no-one has been able to directly quote anything I've seen and say why they disagree with it?

It would be outrageous if anyone disliked Dick because he was successful with Forfar. I firmly believe Dick will make some good signings this summer and turn things around based on his success with Forfar, and Brechin also going further back.

Regarding speaking to Dick and loving him - I see this as an utter irrelevance. I will judge Dick based on how he does as manager of Arbroath FC, not on his obvious charisma and gift of the gab. However, said charisma is obviously a big part of his man management and ability to attract players and get them running through brick walls for him.

I can assure you there is no alliance! ;) ;)

Drink finally must be wearing off Simon, good to see you're back to normal self again and making a decent post. ;)

I will also judge him on that but I think he gets an unfair rep because of the past and touch line antics with the fermers.

He's really such a good guy, such a good guy I'm boring myself with saying it and verging on being a DC fanboy.... :ph34r:

Fair enough - but who is moaning about Dick? I've pointed out a few indisputable facts, and it seems several people seem to think I've condemned Dick and that I'm moaning about him/ his team and the appointment itself?! :blink:

I shall repeat what I said before - Dick should be given the full summer to make his signings and the first half of next season before he is fully judged.

You are moaning about Dick,the very fact you are saying Gold shouldn't be getting a new deal is basically saying you don't trust Campbell's managerial judgement,how about saying Dick might get the best out of him with the right coaching, motavation.

He did play Lowdon left wing at QP away, and he was pretty bad so was hooked at HT. He hasn't played Whatley RB (apart from the second half yesterday) because i'd imagine he wanted a look at Wilson and Williams there.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't at those games

You are moaning about Dick,the very fact you are saying Gold shouldn't be getting a new deal is basically saying you don't trust Campbell's managerial judgement,how about saying Dick might get the best out of him with the right coaching, motavation.

What Dick will find out is that Gold has great skill in finding space where he is not getting too involved in the action

I have given my opinion on one individual player, and I have asked on several occasions what others think he can contribute next season, what potential role he could play and commented on how he could work in our team next year in my opinion. This is me giving my opinion and trying to initiate a debate/ discussion with fellow fans and see what their opinions are.

See below.

As I've said before, I don't like to criticise our own players, but I have absolutely no idea what David Gold's role in our team next year will be. He isn't a defensive midfielder. He isn't a creative midfielder. He isn't the sort of player to break things up and put a challenge in. He isn't a goalscoring midfielder. Essentially he is a midfielder who doesn't add anything defensively or attacking wise. What has David Gold added to the team this season? What would we miss if we hadn't signed him up for next year? What job does he do?

This is a very good point. If Dick's plan is to move Whatley to the right back position and bring in someone similar to Nicoll then this could give Gold more freedom, and he may get more space and time to create chances and get further up the pitch and into the box more often.

Regarding moaning about Dick and supposedly 'not trusting Campbell's managerial judgement' see below, where I back Dick, say he should be given the next 8 months to prove himself and also state that I firmly believe Dick will make some good signings this summer and turn things around'. That's a very strange comment for someone to make about a manager whose judgement they supposedly don't trust!!

I firmly believe Dick will make some good signings this summer and turn things around based on his success with Forfar, and Brechin also going further back.

I have given my opinion on one individual player, and I have asked on several occasions what others think he can contribute next season, what potential role he could play and commented on how he could work in our team next year in my opinion. This is me giving my opinion and trying to initiate a debate/ discussion with fellow fans and see what their opinions are.

See below.

Regarding moaning about Dick and supposedly 'not trusting Campbell's managerial judgement' see below, where I back Dick, say he should be given the next 8 months to prove himself and also state that I firmly believe Dick will make some good signings this summer and turn things around'. That's a very strange comment for someone to make about a manager whose judgement they supposedly don't trust!!

All that proves is you like to contradict yourself

Crikey!! The seasons finally over, phew, Gold is kept on & look at some of the negativity already. What's this thread going to be like when DC starts bringing in players he wants at the club. Come on guys, lets put this dreadful season to bed & start feeling positive for next season. Hopefully do a Leicester.

All that proves is you like to contradict yourself

I really can't see how giving my opinion on one individual player contradicts me supporting the manager.

Where are people reading or hearing about who has signed and who has been released?

All the info comes from our two trialist substitutes yesterday. I hope neither of them are signed for next season, they looked to be really struggling for fitness when warming up in the second half ;)

I really can't see how giving my opinion on one individual player contradicts me supporting the manager.

DC likes Gold Simon,trust him.All this question and answering is stressing me out :) i'm away for a run,you fancy it? it'll do us good :P Hey we're on the same side lets hope we kick ass next season