The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Bitsindou still won headers in the middle of the park and put a tackle in - also covered adequately at centre half when we were short there. For all his faults he still helped to take pressure off Tam and Ricky and gave us a presence in the middle of the park. 

Dundee United were very good. All the finishes were top drawer however it’s still infuriating to see the major problems in the team. We’ve had a much poorer overall squad than we do just now but we’d have given a better account of ourselves as a team due to simply having guys who could handle themselves physically, be robust and tackle. We are so fkn lightweight in middle of midfield. 

It reminds me of when we had Darren Smith and Ross Chisholm (broken version) in centre mid. Sheerin on one wing and we just got run right through the middle of all the time. 

I just cannot fathom why after being absolutely appalling last season, that anyone sane person can suggest that the answer to our midfield woes can possibly be Bitsindou

8 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Another point from last night - noticed we’re still incapable of filling the bench. Only 6 last night including a 19 year old emergency loan keeper.

That seriously limits options.

Keeper was only for one game with Adams suspension. Gold / Norey / Stowe / Hamilton not fit.

Norey is going to end up away back down the road in no time too and that’s not his fault either we just do not need another midfielder like him. 

Can see him lasting until January. He’s at the bottom of a long list including Allan, Slater, Balde, Gold and even Jacobs. 

Just now, ecto said:

I just cannot fathom why after being absolutely appalling last season, that anyone sane person can suggest that the answer to our midfield woes can possibly be Bitsindou

Never said it was - wouldn’t be happy if we signed him. He still done a job last year though. He played middle of the park and filled in at centre half. He played centre half the day we won 4-2 at Dens. When we were missing a centre half the other week we played David Gold there, that’s the point.

I think there might be a bit of an overreaction going on here.  We are not going to be the only team this season that Dundee United will absolutely fillet.   The fact that we stood up to it and saw the second half out shows that the spirit is there in the team.  

I was saying in the pub before the lineups were announced that I wouldn't be surprised if we went with the same lineup as against Montrose except with Tam starting. Campbell has previous for sticking with a winning lineup rather than picking the correct team for the next match. 

A dead rubber league cup match against lower league opposition shouldn't have guaranteed a place playing last night. If we had started Mckenna, Gold and one of Slater/Balde I can't see us losing 4 0. 

His stubbornness can be a strength at times but definitely be a weakness on these occasions. 

22 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I get the feeling that he’s been told this is his final chance and he’s getting desperate. Last orders about to be called in the last chance saloon I think.

The board will be very aware of how this could all collapse like a house of cards. Season ticket sales are down, I imagine hospitality has taken a big hit (didn’t even look full last night) and this will all have a knock effect on ticket sales, merch sales etc.

Hospitality was sold out before it was even advertised last night. 

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I think there might be a bit of an overreaction going on here.  We are not going to be the only team this season that Dundee United will absolutely fillet.   The fact that we stood up to it and saw the second half out shows that the spirit is there in the team.  

I don’t see any overreaction, yeah we won’t be the only team that gets pumped by United this year but all the issues that we have were massively exposed and that’s what people are discussing 

6 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

I was saying in the pub before the lineups were announced that I wouldn't be surprised if we went with the same lineup as against Montrose except with Tam starting. Campbell has previous for sticking with a winning lineup rather than picking the correct team for the next match. 

A dead rubber league cup match against lower league opposition shouldn't have guaranteed a place playing last night. If we had started Mckenna, Gold and one of Slater/Balde I can't see us losing 4 0. 

His stubbornness can be a strength at times but definitely be a weakness on these occasions. 

Hospitality was sold out before it was even advertised last night. 

That’s good to hear. Just looked like some empty seats.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Yes….? Are you saying we should be looking to replace Gaston, Tam, Ricky and Hamilton like?

You mean the Hamilton who is still out injured and was injured back when you said that?  The Ricky Little who is without a doubt getting slower?  The complete lack of any defensive cover at all?  I said at the time that we should be prioritising defensive cover.  

Just now, ExiledLichtie said:

You mean the Hamilton who is still out injured and was injured back when you said that?  The Ricky Little who is without a doubt getting slower?  The complete lack of any defensive cover at all?  I said at the time that we should be prioritising defensive cover.  

I said our back 4 would be good to go again, ie the 4 boys I’ve mentioned. Which I stand by and don’t see how you could argue against it.

I have no idea what your point is tbh but find it funny that you seem to have no problems taking digs at the likes of Ricky Little while sticking up for and backing guys like Turan and Jacobs like you were a relative of them whenever you possibly can.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I said our back 4 would be good to go again, ie the 4 boys I’ve mentioned. Which I stand by and don’t see how you could argue against it.

I have no idea what your point is tbh but find it funny that you seem to have no problems taking digs at the likes of Ricky Little while sticking up for and backing guys like Turan and Jacobs like you were a relative of them whenever you possibly can.

Its not a dig, its a statement of fact.  He's 34, and not as quick as he was.  

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

I get the feeling that he’s been told this is his final chance and he’s getting desperate. Last orders about to be called in the last chance saloon I think.

The board will be very aware of how this could all collapse like a house of cards. Season ticket sales are down, I imagine hospitality has taken a big hit (didn’t even look full last night) and this will all have a knock effect on ticket sales, merch sales etc.

There only so much goodwill and the bottom line is that the board will have planned for and invested in continuing to be a championship side. If that’s looking under serious jeopardy then he’ll be gone.

Yes Dick has… or at least had, a lot of goodwill credit in the bank but the future and interests of the club is far far more important than Dick Campbell et al.

100 % on the money  !!

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

There only so much goodwill and the bottom line is that the board will have planned for and invested in continuing to be a championship side. If that’s looking under serious jeopardy then he’ll be gone.

Yes Dick has… or at least had, a lot of goodwill credit in the bank but the future and interests of the club is far far more important than Dick Campbell et al.

Both hospitality games against United were sold out within hours of the fixtures list being announced, however I do agree with you being Dick and Co being in the last chance saloon, all brownie points used up.

I wouldn’t look too much into last night, as bad as we were united were very good and streets ahead of us. That said dick went for a very bold line up and it backfired massively so lets not do that again please.

Everyone knows the issues. I’ve said it before but to start a season with only 3 defenders and no left back is sunday league stuff. SIGN A LEFT BACK! We’re also lacking a defensive disciplined, battling midfielder, we miss chris hamilton badly and should really be looking to offload jacobs, allan or (harshly but not sure he’s needed) norey.

Finally why did united need to wear their green kit? Made it an absolute nightmare for me (and im sure others) being colour blind. Wouldn’t be surprised if balde is colour blind after the first goal.

16 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

I wouldn’t look too much into last night, as bad as we were united were very good and streets ahead of us. That said dick went for a very bold line up and it backfired massively so lets not do that again please.

Everyone knows the issues. I’ve said it before but to start a season with only 3 defenders and no left back is sunday league stuff. SIGN A LEFT BACK! We’re also lacking a defensive disciplined, battling midfielder, we miss chris hamilton badly and should really be looking to offload jacobs, allan or (harshly but not sure he’s needed) norey.

Finally why did united need to wear their green kit? Made it an absolute nightmare for me (and im sure others) being colour blind. Wouldn’t be surprised if balde is colour blind after the first goal.

Re the kits - I said this last night. I have red/green colour blindness. Now this doesn’t mean I don’t know what red and green are or can’t tell the difference with a block of these colours side by side but when they are tonally the same, as they were last night, and at a distance, both with white shorts then I found it impossible at times. It’s really difficult to try and describe it to someone who doesn’t have it.

It was my immediate thought when Balde made that pass.

10% of men are colourblind so that says that there were at least 2-3 players on the pitch at any one time last night who are colour blind.

Edited by Tattie36

40 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can’t help but feel it was a bad decision to move the QP game. The next 2 weeks will more than likely be grim too. 

Does seem odd, if there was an option of course. Give yourself first 3 games  with every chance of not winning one feels really bizarre

53 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I’d much rather play them on a Saturday than midweek like it was originally scheduled 

Giving ourselves a great chance of going 3 unbeaten to start the season - would’ve rather regrouped - took time to get players we needed and headed to Cappielow week after. Maybe it’ll work out well but I have my doubts

Looking back at the goals - what the hell are Slater and Balde doing defensively for them. The second one is winding me up something rotten. Tam and Ricky not covering themselves in glory either but it’s a pass right through the centre midfield - Moult all the time in the world to take a touch and turn. Tam and Ricky push on to him leaving a space in the heart of the defence and a wee ball through that gap for them to run on to. 

We've seen that all pre season. Crying out for a defensive minded midfielder to track runs, plug gaps, mark, tackle and win the ball back. Infuriating 

Edited by 1320Lichtie