The Arbroath Thread

Just now, lichtgilphead said:

That's only £500 each for all expenses incurred for 20 players travelling. Do big full-time clubs like ICT really pay their superstars so little?

I think you've missed the point, that money does not come from the club but it is the amount awarded by the SFA for expenses incurred for travel to Irish clubs, what I'm saying, and you yourself pointed out that it is peanuts, is that any club would need at the very least 3 -4 times that amount otherwise a club would be out of pocket.

A lot of fans have said that introducing clubs from outside Scotland has demeaned the competition and it is not worth the outlay considering how little prize money and costs is involved.

Have a pint in Ardrishaigs Grey Gull to mull that info over.

While I get what people are saying regarding the competition being demeaned by foreign teams, if they weren't there, I imagine the same people would be saying the same thing but just with different justifications.

We used to get calls to scrap the challenge cup all the time, was that not why foreign teams were invited, to jazz it up a bit?  We also used to get calls to scrap the league cup, although that's died down a bit in recent years.

Its all academic anyway, as we aren't getting past ICT.  We are their Morton.

4 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I think you've missed the point, that money does not come from the club but it is the amount awarded by the SFA for expenses incurred for travel to Irish clubs, what I'm saying, and you yourself pointed out that it is peanuts, is that any club would need at the very least 3 -4 times that amount otherwise a club would be out of pocket.

A lot of fans have said that introducing clubs from outside Scotland has demeaned the competition and it is not worth the outlay considering how little prize money and costs is involved.

Have a pint in Ardrishaigs Grey Gull to mull that info over.

^^^ Has never drunk in the Grey Gull ^^^

When there were 4 pubs in Chalmers St, the Grey Gull was a distant 4th choice. 

Anyway, apologies for not picking up on your point.

Cup is pretty much a farce and I have zero to little interest in it. the only good thing to come out of it would be a weekend away on the sauce is that beneficial to the club no probably makes them worse off especially PR clubs annual leave etc for players etc. Selfish fans yes. Would I go to the  away game possibly but only to tick it off the stadium list as I do enjoy visiting different grounds and getting pished a new town/city/country. 

I know we can’t wrap our players in cotton wool but I’m worried that the more games we play, the higher chance there is of picking up injuries. Our squad is small enough as it is and we can’t afford to lose another player, particularly in defence.

Obviously want us to win and don’t actively want us to lose any game but a defeat tomorrow wouldn’t bother me that much.

These persons in the SPFL who make decisions as inane as changing a venue date because of a name change anniversary should have no place in any business connected to sport.

How can anyone out with Dundee United FC not be appalled at this nonsensical decision to give an overwhelming advantage to one club over another because of the anniversary of a change of name? United should have been laughed out the door. 

Looks very much like the lunatics have taken over the asylum that is the SPFL.

1 hour ago, JoseMarooniho said:

To celebrate the centenary of a name change. Ludicrous from the SPFL.
Looks like we’ll have to accept we are part of the diminishing number of clubs Dundee United (or whatever they are called) can pull rank on. 

Who's name change?

Just now, JoseMarooniho said:

Dundee Hibs to Dundee Utd. Fixture been moved to coincide with the 100 year anniversary. Incredibly.

Why the feck would you change a game from a Saturday to a Friday night to celebrate that!! 

Friday night tv game games piss me off enough as it is without having this kind of crap to put up with. Boycott it.

As much as I am tired with the club wheeling out the part-time woe-is-me stuff at every opportunity they get, it does seem like a totally ludicrous decision regardless. I want to say I’m surprised the SPFL agreed to this but I’d be lying honestly.

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Though I agree the reason it’s been moved (100 years since a name change) is nonsense, would there be as much uproar if it had been moved for bbc tv coverage ? 

Obviously not, we don’t have a choice if it’s for TV or police reasons, it’s not even close to being the same thing

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Though I agree the reason it’s been moved (100 years since a name change) is nonsense, would there be as much uproar if it had been moved for bbc tv coverage ? 

No, there would have been no uproar if that was the case, but it isn't the case. It's United saying we are moving the game to suit our own plans and f**k everyone else.

29 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

It's a farcical decision. I barely even understand the reasoning for it from the United camp. 

Bad enough that it was proposed in the first place but a piss take that it was approved even after objections.

Should have been laughed out the door by the SPFL.