The Arbroath Thread

I liked McIntyre at the Pars. Cleared out a lot of dead wood, signed some exciting players, had us playing some really good, fast football either with a straight 4-4-2 or a 4-3-1-2 with the 3 being 3 central midfielders and the one a winger who could play either side. Was a bit hamstrung by the board not spending any money when we got promoted (although it turns out we didn't have any money anyway!) and so is still reasonably well thought of by most fans I know. Did OK at County, Queens and Cove. Solid appointment I reckon.

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

a 4-3-1-2 with the 3 being 3 central midfielders and the one a winger who could play either side.

That’s one of hopes I have for arbroath, there’s a bit of concern over their ability to go 4-4-2 with their current squad, but that formation, which for a long period reasonably early in his spell ended up being a lopsided 4-4-2 when he had Burke on the left.  I know formations being described as lopsided might create fear among some, but it was actually fairly well drilled.

A true old fashioned 4-4-2 is probably his preferred formation, but I think he’s got enough flexibility to work with the squad he has until he gets who he wants in,  probably targeting a young winger in the short term.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

That’s one of hopes I have for arbroath, there’s a bit of concern over their ability to go 4-4-2 with their current squad, but that formation, which for a long period reasonably early in his spell ended up being a lopsided 4-4-2 when he had Burke on the left.  I know formations being described as lopsided might create fear among some, but it was actually fairly well drilled.

A true old fashioned 4-4-2 is probably his preferred formation, but I think he’s got enough flexibility to work with the squad he has until he gets who he wants in,  probably targeting a young winger in the short term.

We have a young winger on the bench that may get some game time.

I would absolutely love to see two wingers on the park again. Proper wingers. Also dying to see a big b*****d of a central midfielder and for the squad to not be full of small utility centre midfield players that are mainly there to plug holes all over the gaff 

22 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Stowe has shown me absolutely nothing so far in the opportunities he has had 

Not disagreeing with that but thought he had something about him pre season and a good set piece delivery which can be a big bonus. He may not be up to the standard but not seen enough to pass judgement yet.

More likely to get a chance if he does want to play wingers though.

1 minute ago, Hammerafc said:

Not disagreeing with that but thought he had something about him pre season and a good set piece delivery which can be a big bonus. He may not be up to the standard but not seen enough to pass judgement yet.

More likely to get a chance if he does want to play wingers though.

I agree with all of this.  I don't think we should be writing Stowe off yet, we have a track record of not getting the best out of younger players in recent years.  Maybe it'll be better now.

Stowe has not had one consistent run in the team and has played a bit part role off the bench, if you could even call it that - stepping up all the levels he has and having the kind of opportunities he has had would be incredibly difficult for anyone

Any time he’s had a chance from the start too it’s really been because we have been down to the bare bones and the team on the whole is a bit of a mess 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Sounds like you were just a massive Rory fanboy to be completely honest 

To a degree yes, but there is way more to it. We had a settled team and had started the season well. A side like ours would only have stayed up with continuity and even 10-15 goals from Rory might have been the difference in us staying up. He totally and utterly lost the dressing room. 

I’m happy enough to take the pelters but there were hardly anyone who had been to the majority of games before he was binned who shed a tear. Plenty on here who are quick to comment tho. 

25 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

To a degree yes, but there is way more to it. We had a settled team and had started the season well. A side like ours would only have stayed up with continuity and even 10-15 goals from Rory might have been the difference in us staying up. He totally and utterly lost the dressing room. 

I’m happy enough to take the pelters but there were hardly anyone who had been to the majority of games before he was binned who shed a tear. Plenty on here who are quick to comment tho. 

I mean, not appointing Paul Hartley might have been the difference in you staying up.

31 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Rory scored 8 in a reasonably well performing league 1 side. How the f**k could you think he’d score 10-15 in a poorly performing championship team?

1 hour ago, Watson Nimrod said:

It’s just that you’re over exaggerated dramatic comments don’t really match up with the reality and factual things like results on the park. 

If a Dundee fan was to slag him rotten and use that kind of language it would make sense 

In reality football is a results business and the job McIntyre done at Cove was pretty decent. The man you’ve got in charge right now was quite clearly the reason you got relegated - results show that

16 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Some Airdrie fans seem to have turned into insufferable football snobs that think they play like prime Barcelona - not realising nobody else cares how many times they pass the ball in a game and that they are playing in the Scottish Championship

Think only Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry could rival some of them in the Scottish football snobbery stakes 

Haha if you think I enjoy watching us pass the ball sideways and backwards when we're 2-1 down your wrong. Snobby because I'm not a fan of Jim McIntyre and think Arbroath could appoint a better manager? Whatever floats your boat mate.

28 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Haha if you think I enjoy watching us pass the ball sideways and backwards when we're 2-1 down your wrong. Snobby because I'm not a fan of Jim McIntyre and think Arbroath could appoint a better manager? Whatever floats your boat mate.

No, snobby because of the comments you made about ‘ooooooh enjoy watching 4-4-2 hoofball!’ 

Grow up 

Heard big Jim has already got rid of Malcolm and Sellars pretty poor from AFC if you ask me.Can see this becoming a bit of car crash to be honest if McIntyre doesn't hit the ground running.