The Arbroath Thread

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not once have I ever said that it will be a scoosh and literally said that if I got offered 5th place right now I would take it 👍🏻

You basically bummed up Falkirk and Hamilton and disrespected the rest👍 

4 minutes ago, mo83 said:

You basically bummed up Falkirk and Hamilton and disrespected the rest👍 

No I never. I said Hamilton and Falkirk are Championship level teams and they’ve absolutely scooshed it, which is true. In this league you play teams of that level every week or sometimes better. Falkirk are clearly a very good team and could be up there nearer the top which is fair. 

Not disrespecting anyone, we will be a L1 team, I just said that we should have a decent group of players signed who should be good L1 players next year.

I said in reply to North Terrace Gaza that we would absolutely struggle to be promoted again and that I would be very happy with a season similar to QoTS the year after they were relegated when they finished 5th - how that translates to me saying that we are going to go and scoosh Alloa, Kelty and QoTS I am really not sure 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not once have I ever said that it will be a scoosh and literally said that if I got offered 5th place right now I would take it 👍🏻

So you mentioned Montrose spine of the team being Gill,Dillon,Watson and Hester? What was your point?

Just now, mo83 said:

So you mentioned Montrose spine of the team being Gill,Dillon,Watson and Hester? What was your point?

Well that is the spine of the 3rd or 4th best team in L1 - it is a useful comparison for what a good L1 team actually looks like - if they are playing in a good L1 team then there’s no reason why we won’t have good L1 players or shouldn’t be looking to re sign the likes of Little or Dow 

Arbroath are dropping down a league, it is a poorer league, the players we have who might have had a hard time of it in the Championship overall should be absolutely fine and good to go for L1 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well that is the spine of the 3rd or 4th best team in L1 - it is a useful comparison for what a good L1 team actually looks like - if they are playing in a good L1 team then there’s no reason why we won’t have good L1 players or shouldn’t be looking to re sign the likes of Little or Dow 

Arbroath are dropping down a league, it is a poorer league, the players we have who might have had a hard time of it in the Championship overall should be absolutely fine and good to go for L1 

After mentioning Falkirk and Hamilton maybe would have been better to use Alloa the team in 3rd place a mean you probably know what way they play and the spine of their team?

Instead you used your ex goalkeeper who you have no time for,2 older Montrose players and Kane Hester who has previous at AFC and you clearly think Montrose will be a push over that's the way its came across.

Stewart and McIntosh, at least, were decent League 1 players before at Airdrie, and have experience at a higher level now that they didn't have then.  I wouldn't say that a team of players of their quality would be likely to storm that division like Falkirk have done this year, but they'd surely hold their own.

Just now, mo83 said:

After mentioning Falkirk and Hamilton maybe would have been better to use Alloa the team in 3rd place a mean you probably know what way they play and the spine of their team?

Instead you used your ex goalkeeper who you have no time for,2 older Montrose players and Kane Hester who has previous at AFC and you clearly think Montrose will be a push over that's the way its came across.

I think using Montrose is more suitable for Arbroath fans because Arbroath fans know they players so much better 

The initial comment was obviously made by someone else because a lot of people had been saying that x player would be good for L1 

6 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Stewart and McIntosh, at least, were decent League 1 players before at Airdrie, and have experience at a higher level now that they didn't have then.  I wouldn't say that a team of players of their quality would be likely to storm that division like Falkirk have done this year, but they'd surely hold their own.

I think it would be a massive surprise if we challenged for a title, I am so pessimistic about the football just now I’d be delighted with a half decent season where we finished mid table. I’m just pointing out we’re dropping into a poorer division so it’s a whole different thing for the players we have at the club and will be looking to bring to the club in order to have a decent season 

This is true for every club who gets relegated or promoted into a division 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

20 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

I’m not sure who’s claiming we’d scoosh anything. Nobody that I can see in a quick squint through this pish. I’d take a respectable mid table spot next season but feel even that will take a lot of work. 

I said that imo Ricky Little would scoosh it in Lg1, compared to being in the championship,  but not that Arbroath would scoosh the league

22 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

I’m not sure who’s claiming we’d scoosh anything. Nobody that I can see in a quick squint through this pish. I’d take a respectable mid table spot next season but feel even that will take a lot of work. 

Somebody did say that Ricky Little would scoosh league 1 a couple pages back, which is a bold call, given his legs went 2 years ago and he still seems to think his job is to carry the ball into midfield...

Edited...aye, what relichtie said.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

16 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Somebody did say that Ricky Little would scoosh league 1 a couple pages back, which is a bold call, given his legs went 2 years ago and he still seems to think his job is to carry the ball into midfield...

But again this is the whole point, if Sean Dillon is still playing for a team that’s doing well in L1…

I don’t see what Mo83 found so controversial about what I said.

Every time we’ve been promoted (so obviously in a very good team for the league you’re in) conversations start over who could and could not cut it in the league above and where the team would have to improve - this happens with every team 

Same thing going down the way, players not good enough in Championship can be good players in L1, players no good enough for the EPL could be good players in the English Championship etc etc etc 

If Montrose do get promoted (a good team in L1) I really wouldn’t fancy their chances if they didn’t improve on the players that I mentioned 

And it was definitely not disrespectful or saying that we was gonna scoosh L1

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

In Lg1 I would expect us to be more attacking than defending than in the championship, which would allow older players like Ricky Little more time to recover than just now when our defence is in almost constant pressure but that's just my opinion.

53 minutes ago, relichtie said:

In Lg1 I would expect us to be more attacking than defending than in the championship, which would allow older players like Ricky Little more time to recover than just now when our defence is in almost constant pressure but that's just my opinion.

Also playing against much inferior attacking players for the most part - every team in this league including the ones near the bottom have some very good attacking players.

Some of the top teams in this division, Raith / United and Thistle are genuinely excellent going forward - vast majority of part time players especially when coming back or struggling with injuries (like all of our defenders have throughout season) would really struggle to cope with guys that these teams have 

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Happy relegation day lads 

Not had one for a while 

Saturday May 3rd 2014 - Airdrie away defeated 2-0 - funnily enough nearly bang on 10 years - it’ll be exactly 10 years on last day of season 

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not had one for a while 

Saturday May 3rd 2014 - Airdrie away defeated 2-0 - funnily enough nearly bang on 10 years - it’ll be exactly 10 years on last day of season 

That was when the only player to come along to clap the fans at the end was Lari Yao. The rest just either gave a clap and wave to the fans as they walked off the pitch or went straight up the tunnel without even a look up.

Having seen us relegated several times over the years, this one is definitely the least sad for me. I have a feeling more of relief than anything really.

We all have our own opinions as to why we’ve ended up here and on McIntyre so I won’t go into that.

Our stay in the Championship has been some experience. I have many more positive feelings about it than negative and the club is definitely in a much better place now than it was 5-6 years ago.

The last 18+ months has been pretty miserable and I’m well aware that it’s dragged my own personal posting style down to a level of negativity that I’m not comfortable with.

Here’s to a new season full of new teams to play, better football, and hopefully many more wins and enjoyable games.