The Arbroath Thread

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Did he win the league with Albion Rovers the year we absolutely went to shit after Christmas? 

Sure did as a player manager - then finished 6th in League 1 before leaving as could not agree a contract (Wikipedia says 😂)

5 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

It doesn't have to be the case that the entire coaching staff leaves.  If I recall rightly, McIntyre arrived without a full coaching staff, so I'd hope their future wouldn't be tied to him.

Good to see that the club are paying attention and used WhatsApp to update us on the coaching situation. 
On another topic, I do hope our interim managers can bring in a couple of midfield loans to improve our squad. 

4 hours ago, JoseMarooniho said:

I’d agree he can’t be the only one. What is it about Young you don’t fancy though? 

Pretty much as @1320Lichtiehas said, would like us to be a bit more ambitious, no just the same names that always get quoted 

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Had a mixed bag - couple of relegations - couple of title wins 

Winning 2 league titles, especially the one with that Albion Rovers team is really pretty impressive given his age. You’d have to imagine he built up a real team spirit and signed reasonably well on what would’ve been much smaller budgets 

I am not against the guy at all. I’m not really absolutely set on anyone either. It’s going to be a case of just the club meeting the guy, seeing what contacts he’s got, seeing what he’s like as a character and what his plans are for us as a club. 

Wouldn’t get too caught up on styles of play etc I feel like McIntyre sold us a lemon with that and obviously the club too. 

I could imagine him being the kind of guy to pull out a full power point presentation.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, keptie said:

What's the alternative? Who's still there that can and would want to run the team. Hamilton being injured wouldn't make any difference to any team decisions he/they would have to make

Edited to add     Actually what is Exiled doing, just the man for the job 😉

I’m not sure what the first part means?I’m defending keeping Boyle. And to me it seems pretty obvious that overseeing training and matches would be easier if you had two functioning legs unlike Hammy.

ETA - think I get you now. I’m not against Gold and Hamilton getting the interim position, far from it. Just think it helps for them to have someone more experienced alongside them.

Edited by Lichtie78

11 hours ago, ecto said:

Pretty much as @1320Lichtiehas said, would like us to be a bit more ambitious, no just the same names that always get quoted 

Just for clarity because when I read my post back it reads like I’m saying, when I wrote ‘the club meeting the guy’ - that I am meaning Young. 

I didn’t mean Young specifically just mean anyone in general and it’ll be the case of the club getting a feel for something and someone after holding the interviews

Must beware of snake oil salesman.

Who do we want on loan? McKenna? Already (as predicted) struggling for minutes at Falkirk. Not even in the squad for the last 2 games. 
Charlie Reilly?  Injured again.  
Miko Virtanen? Not playing much for Alloa. Anything more realistic or imaginative?

32 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Heard....Ray Mckinnon is of serious interest to Arbroath FC as is Gold and Hamilton 

Ray McKinnon feels like it would be McIntyre 2.0 - I just cannot see it - would actually find it really disappointing 

The club said to the Courier that Gold and Hamilton would be in contention if they wanted to be 

I can see Gold as a manager 100 percent, he reeks of all the other kinds of guys that have went in to manage at this level or lower. I think he could see himself doing well at it too. Hammy I have no idea but he’s out for the season so it would probably be a really interesting prospect for him

Edited by 1320Lichtie

2 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

The only people mentioning McKinnon are Montrose fans on the wind up.  Its understandable though, I think they're just reacting out of fear that their manager will choose to up sticks and come and join the big club.

You couldn't afford SP and his team right now it's as plain and simple as that.

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Ray McKinnon feels like it would be McIntyre 2.0 - I just cannot see it 

The club said to the Courier that Gold and Hamilton would be in contention if they wanted to be 

I can see Gold as a manager 100 percent, he reeks of all the other kinds of guys that have went in to manage at this level or lower. I think he could see himself doing well at it too. Hammy I have no idea but he’s out for the season so it would probably be a really interesting prospect for him

Ray Mckinnon has had plenty of clubs to be fair to him but hasn't really done anything that stands out that I can remember from his Dundee Utd days.

David Gold don't know much about his background he has the Gold and Gray academy set up which is meant to be good so my nephew tells me he has been to plenty's of the camps over the summer and other times.

Teaching kids to going into a proper football environment is completely different though,not saying he won't do good but it would be a huge gamble if you ask me.He could bring in an older head I suppose and lean on someone like that for his first job if he was to get it but if it was just to be him and Hamilton I reckon it could end up a disaster....in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Ray Mckinnon has had plenty of clubs to be fair to him but hasn't really done anything that stands out that I can remember from his Dundee Utd days.

David Gold don't know much about his background he has the Gold and Gray academy set up which is meant to be good so my nephew tells me he has been to plenty's of the camps over the summer and other times.

Teaching kids to going into a proper football environment is completely different though,not saying he won't do good but it would be a huge gamble if you ask me.He could bring in an older head I suppose and lean on someone like that for his first job if he was to get it but if it was just to be him and Hamilton I reckon it could end up a disaster....in my opinion.

But every manager that’s went in around 30 years old or into their first job (and there’s been plenty over the years now) the exact same thing gets said… 

You have no idea, nobody does, even me looking in from the outside I’m just going off of how I see him as a player and as a guy and how he talks but I’ve no idea what he’s like in the dressing room or behind the scenes 

53 minutes ago, mo83 said:

And that's the truth behind all this McKinnon touting.  You're scared.  You know that Petrie has made Montrose a better club, and you also know that he started out at Arbroath.  When its time for him to come home, we're bigger and better funded than Montrose, and we'll just bring him home.  And you know this.  Its why you're so insecure.  

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

How do know this?

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Och away and behave yourself, your interest in this is plain to see, and this dude 👇👇, has for once (sorry) got this absolutely spot on, you are terrified Petrie decides “you know what I’ve taken Montrose as far as I can” and to be fair, he probably has, also he owes them nothing, 

I lived in Montrose for pretty much 20 years, my interest in Montrose FC was minimal, your interest in us is just bizarre

30 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

And that's the truth behind all this McKinnon touting.  You're scared.  You know that Petrie has made Montrose a better club, and you also know that he started out at Arbroath.  When its time for him to come home, we're bigger and better funded than Montrose, and we'll just bring him home.  And you know this.  Its why you're so insecure.

28 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Lol

And when are you "Bringing him home"

Let's face facts here you would have had to pay the former manager some sort of package not sure how much and don't really care that's a bill the board of directors wouldn't have really wanted to part with.SP has just signed a new deal just last week as well how ironic 😉 till the summer of 2027 no way their splashing the cash to get him in no way in a million years SP loves the Mo.

Insecure....ha ha a think that's you mate! Your not a championship club anymore L1 and bottom of the pile at present let that sink in!Don't get me wrong am sure that will change and you will get further up the league but AFC behind the scenes is not all as rosey as it was a few years ago every true fan knows that.

7 minutes ago, ecto said:

How do know this?

Och away and behave yourself, your interest in this is plain to see, and this dude 👇👇, has for once (sorry) got this absolutely spot on, you are terrified Petrie decides “you know what I’ve taken Montrose as far as I can” and to be fair, he probably has, also he owes them nothing, 

I lived in Montrose for pretty much 20 years, my interest in Montrose FC was minimal, your interest in us is just bizarre

Why aren't AFC approaching Montrose then if it's that simple?

6 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Lol

And when are you "Bringing him home"

Let's face facts here you would have had to pay the former manager some sort of package not sure how much and don't really care that's a bill the board of directors wouldn't have really wanted to part with.SP has just signed a new deal just last week as well how ironic 😉 till the summer of 2027 no way their splashing the cash to get him in no way in a million years SP loves the Mo.

Insecure....ha ha a think that's you mate! Your not a championship club anymore L1 and bottom of the pile at present let that sink in!Don't get me wrong am sure that will change and you will get further up the league but AFC behind the scenes is not all as rosey as it was a few years ago every true fan knows that.

When its the right time, he'll come home.   I think deep down you know this, hence the weird obsession with touting McKinnon and trying to make it a "thing".  

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There's definitely Luis Figo/Mo Johnston/Sol Campbell vibes going on here.

If, and it's a huge if, Stewart Petrie was minded to move elsewhere I'd have thought that East End Park would be more likely that Gayfield.

Unlikely, I believe he has a good job outside football, and part time football suits him.