The Arbroath Thread

And that's your opinion, and that's fine.  Presumably you would also tell people who criticise the use of "beans on toast" to keep quiet and watch something else?  

I find it odd that people actually repeatedly criticising our volunteers is acceptable, but suggesting that a potential conflict of interest might lead to sub optimal commentary has people up in arms.

The only criticism I have of Arbroath TV is the highlights on YouTube are terrible. Regularly don't show talking points/incidents throughout the game. 

Was better when Neil did them and he was literally doing the whole thing off his own back.

Thought Fraser was much better on lead Comms but that's a personal preference.

Edited by Hammerafc

33 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

The only criticism I have of Arbroath TV is the highlights on YouTube are terrible. Regularly don't show talking points/incidents throughout the game. 

Was better when Neil did them and he was literally doing the whole thing off his own back.

I watch our highlights on mute. Seems the best thing to do. 

Neil did great and it was so unfortunate what happened to him. I certainly hope he’s doing ok. 

41 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

And that's your opinion, and that's fine.  Presumably you would also tell people who criticise the use of "beans on toast" to keep quiet and watch something else?  

I find it odd that people actually repeatedly criticising our volunteers is acceptable, but suggesting that a potential conflict of interest might lead to sub optimal commentary has people up in arms.

Why would you accept my opinion, then end with a (incorrectly) presumptuous barb? A complete non sequitur. 

None of the things you are arguing here are remotely comparable. 

I was going to reply more fully, but trying to explain the arse about tit logical fallacy and comparisons here would make us all suffer an aneurysm. 

Edited by Water Tower Wullie

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:

To quote an extremely angry person, who will presumably be along to rage at you:

On 08/09/2024 at 10:40, 1320Lichtie said:

ITS A CLUB RUN CHANNEL DONE BY VOLUNTEERS ITS NOT SKY SPORTS OR THE BBC!!! 

I agree though, I thought Fraser was much better.  He was a much more polished broadcaster.  I wonder why he stopped?  

On 08/09/2024 at 23:02, JoseMarooniho said:

Hopefully Callaghan can remain a valuable part of the squad coming off the bench and that. Wasn’t his fault he was catapulted into the main man midfield role. Badly exposed by the former manager. 

Exactly, showed on Saturday with a great late run into the box and a brilliant first time finish what he is capable of.  

14 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

So what you thinking lads. A win on Saturday at Palmerston and Hammy & Goldy are appointed permanently at 5.30?

Win on Saturday would be absolutely huge for them but not sure the club are gonna be so quick to appoint. As strange as it sounds we’re in a pretty decent position manager-wise. Goldy and Hammy have shown they’re pretty good at it and the players seem to really want to play for them. Wouldn’t be surprised if we waited another wee while to weigh up our options.

I want Gold and Hamilton to be our next management team but agree that we need a wee bit longer just to make sure.

They aren’t going anywhere so I can’t see any harm in waiting another 2-3 games.

Something I can’t recall reading so forgive me if it’s been clarified already - do we even know if they want the job on a permanent basis? Perhaps they would rather just continue as players and have no interest in the job at the moment?

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

So what you thinking lads. A win on Saturday at Palmerston and Hammy & Goldy are appointed permanently at 5.30?

It's a good question... but my thinking right now is "not yet".

I'd love to see Hammy and Goldy do well but as I see it it's not without risk...

To take a step back, as someone pointed out (perhaps
@Lichtie78 or @1320Lichtie) it was bewildering that when Dick departed, there appeared to be no succession plan.  There were any number of reasons, particularly over the final year why Dick could have left and the board should be prepared and be in control, rather than reacting hastily.  When McIntyre was in post , it was clear to me from late Jan / early Feb that McIntyre was not going to improve and needed to be shown the door ASAP.  However, the board stuck with McIntyre over summer and into this season.  McIntyre's departure was ultimately forced upon the board - not planned, not prepared for, not in control.  But it's again totally unbelievable that the board haven't had a succession plan for this entirely predictable eventuality.

So, we now have Goldy and Hammy in charge.  But why both of them?  There may be a good reason and perhaps they do work well together.  But right now, they're in the initial, exciting "new toy" phase - there's no real track record to be judged on yet.  But every team goes through a tough period during the season - will the two guys be able to keep working well together?  This is not without risk.

Personally, I know a little about Goldy and would have been happy to have him take the reigns after Dick.  I simply don't know enough about Hammy and I could well be wrong but the cynic in me suggests he wouldn't be doing the job if he wasn't crocked. 

I honestly wish them the absolute best - they're great Lichties and may well be brilliant managers - but my concern is that we've stumbled into this situation rather than having a clear decisive plan. 

5 minutes ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

Out of interest - why Hammy as manager over Gold?

Just feel personally Goldy would be a better coach than manager. Delighted if it’s co-managers tho as there’s certainly been a change of form and attitude from the team and that’s down to them both 

5 hours ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Win on Saturday would be absolutely huge for them but not sure the club are gonna be so quick to appoint. As strange as it sounds we’re in a pretty decent position manager-wise. Goldy and Hammy have shown they’re pretty good at it and the players seem to really want to play for them. Wouldn’t be surprised if we waited another wee while to weigh up our options.

Agree with this, i would love to see Goldy and Hammy some day be our Management team but as been said they never applied for this position they have been thrown in because McIntyre quite rightly was long overdue "punted".

I would like a situation for instance if ex-Raith Manager Ian Murray was to sign a short term contract until the end of the season BUT have Goldy and Hammy as part of his backroom team that way it keeps Murray's hand in Football Management (i am guessing he is waiting on a full-time job in football) plus would be a great learning curve for Goldy and Hammy and if Murray done well and picked up a full-time club in say 3/4 months and we as a club have done well and Goldy and Hammy want the job then offer them it.

I have heard a few "high profile" names are in for the job but obviously the AFC Board need to get the correct appointment and i would love to see Goldy and Hammy involved but i am still not sure if they need an "experienced" person alongside them or not so i would still be waiting a few weeks before making the decision.

Just for an another example i saw Jim McInally at Gayfield on Saturday (Ryan Dow's father-in-law) who is a vastly experienced player and ex-Manager (Sligo Rangers 1999/Morton 2004-2008 - won the league/East Stirling 2008-2011/Peterhead 2011-2022 - won the league twice) and i believe he stays in Monifieth or the Ferry so why not see if he wants to come on board for "guidance" for Goldy and Hammy so they can use his vast experience if the need to make big decisions, i know Jimmy Boyle is still at the club but i am not a fan of the ex-Assistant Manager still being at the club as he would still have a bit of loyalty for Jim McIntyre so it must be a bitty awkward.

I would also be guessing the AFC Board would have been sounding out our Captain TOB and the experienced players about it?

Up to now though they have done a very good job.

C'Mon the Red Lichties.