The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, keptie said:

A league win, hallelujah, hallelujah hallelujah. Of course I missed it...

I also missed game today, will probably miss a few, if we go on a bit of a run, just maybe, I was the problem 

14 minutes ago, ecto said:

I also missed game today, will probably miss a few, if we go on a bit of a run, just maybe, I was the problem 

I’m sure everyone has thought similar at some point because whatever it was hanging over us felt like it would never ever disappear - today is a start but every week we need to be at it because it looks like this leagues going to be about who takes their chances on the day. Need to get back to getting league wins relatively regularly again 

Not the start we wanted but it has been an absolute nightmare  - opening day defeat to a team that didn’t have to do too much to beat us - home fans booing the team (well manager) with 15 minutes left in first home match of the season then an absolute capitulation to Kelty the week after losing 3 goals in 7 minutes - unforgivable really considering we are back in L1 with a decent group of players which is why McIntyre got the bullet - overall record under Jim:

Played 7

Won 1

Drew 2 

Lost 4

Goals Scored - 2

Goals Conceded - 10

5 games in to Goldie and Hamiltons reign - two well deserved wins to nil at Gayfield - a defeat away to a decent QoTs team that maybe could’ve went our way - a draw with Dumbarton and a draw with Alloa in a game we probably should have won - overall record with Gold and Hammy:

Played 5 

Won 2

Drew 2

Lost 1 

Goals Scored 8 

Goals Conceded 4 

3 clean sheets from 5 games too - 4 points off play offs, 6 off second and 7 off top spot - we are in a far from ideal position but there’s positives there. Touched on McAdams / ToB and Watson before. Stewart / Spaulding and Coulson have really shone. Dow has been excellent in his new role and scored goals. 2 capable strikers on the books - also 1200 at game today too which is encouraging 

Think there is definitely a bit of work to do with the squad still and I’m intrigued to as what that will look like this week as it is the final week of the window - not bringing anyone in would be a big mistake for me 

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Yes, pretty much felt the same, missed Montrose a couple of weeks ago along with the 3-2 Raith game and of course the win today. Miss very few home games so it's feeling very personal 😏

Can't actually remember the last home win i saw

Anyway much needed win today

Edited by keptie

21 minutes ago, keptie said:

Yes, pretty much felt the same, missed Montrose a couple of weeks ago along with the 3-2 Raith game and of course the win today. Miss very few home games so it's feeling very personal 😏

Can't actually remember the last home win i saw

Anyway much needed win today

If you made the Airdrie 4-0 game 370 days ago that’s the last home league win we had (Raith aside) - 16th September 2023 - home game after was big Duncs first Inverness game.

We were flying going into that after beating Partick 3-0 at Firhill the week before and my flight to Lanzarote took off just after Billy McKay notched the 3rd to put them 3-0 up. We would’ve went 14 points ahead of Inverness if we had beat them that day - ended 3-2 defeat

Was a bit of a dampener to start the holiday after a morning and afternoon drinking airport pints but I was not too fussed I thought we’d be alright, never thought it would be so long until I saw another home league win

Football eh 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If you made the Airdrie 4-0 game 370 days ago that’s the last home league win we had (Raith aside) - 16th September 2023 - home game after was big Duncs first Inverness game.

We were flying going into that after beating Partick 3-0 at Firhill the week before and my flight to Lanzarote took off just after Billy McKay notched the 3rd to put them 3-0 up. We would’ve went 14 points ahead of Inverness if we had beat them that day - ended 3-2 defeat

Was a bit of a dampener to start the holiday after a morning and afternoon drinking airport pints but I was not too fussed I thought we’d be alright, never thought it would be so long until I saw another home league win

Football eh 

Yeah it was the Airdrie game.  370 days ridiculous.....🤣 

12 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

1st half terrible 

2nd half brilliant 

Ali Spalding has proved me and everyone wrong. Thats a proper football player 

If Spalding keeps playing like that I reckon we wont hold on to him for more than a season.

Just now, RedLichtie86 said:

If Spalding keeps playing like that I reckon we wont hold on to him for more than a season.

Have him signed for two - it’s a great signing by McIntyre in fairness credit where it’s due never had high hopes for him initially but Bonnyrigg on I’ve been so impressed. Didn’t think you’d be able to rely on him every week but he’s been minimum 7/10. Think the new formation suits him like it does Dow

Hopefully doing Uni or started a decent job / apprenticeship away from football so he sticks PT

I really like that we have options when we play a 4-2-3-1.  I thought Gallagher dropped far too deep in the first half, but his second half was a lot better.  I'd start him again in the next game, and hopefully he can adapt to playing the lone striker role given time.  Really pleased Reilly got his goal too.  I also like that we have a feasible choice between Coulson and Murray.   Both give us something different.  

In the centre, Spalding has been a revelation, and Flynn has settled in so well that its easy to forget he's a brand new signing.  We also have Callaghan, Gold etc.  who give us something different.  Dow in the creative role won't give us the goals that McKenna got for us, but he does solve the massive creativity problem we had when we played a 4-4-2 and expected Callaghan to do everything.  He's more effective in the centre than he is on the wing.  

As Simon and others have said, its a good squad, albeit arguably a bit light on strikers (although apparently its NEGATIVITY to say that).  I think its really now a question of belief and confidence.  We've played well for a few games and got nothing, and it was good to finally get over the line.  If we can go on a bit of a run and win three or four in a row to prove its not a false dawn, then we'll be okay.