The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Heard Watson will be back but think ToB been playing through the pain barrier in recent weeks so it’ll take the pressure off him.

Squads looking really good now but would want atleast one of them playing alongside either Smith or Sinclair just for their experience.

If Sinclair and Smith were start on Saturday the back 4 could have a combined age of just 80 years old (off the top of my head).

Agree - best to have one old head at CB.  All young lads is a bit scary.

2 hours ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Dylan smith joins from Country until january. No clue what he’s like but another body in can’t be a bad thing

Great move for both parties.  Smith looks like he could be excellent - mature beyond his years and can deliver a quarterback pass.  Not the quickest and a bit injury prone.  I think he’ll make it with us.  

Niche Monday night brain teaser this (and I’m aware there’s a game this week first) but is Fraser Taylor cup tied for the Trust Trophy game at Alloa? He played in a 3-2 Round 1 win over Berwick but St Mirren were then kicked out for fielding an ineligible player and Berwick went through 3-0. So I’m curious if that counts or not? 

23 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Feels strange Boyle is still involved. I’m not against it or anything just looks strange from outside looking in but obviously not got a clue about the dressing room dynamic. Might be well liked. Obviously gets paid for being there but must feel a bit strange for him too, if he’s helping out then a big fair play to him. 

Dunno, Boyle is an experienced head, knows the game, if Hammy and Goldie are cool with this, then so am i 

23 minutes ago, Fitbafan36 said:

Niche Monday night brain teaser this (and I’m aware there’s a game this week first) but is Fraser Taylor cup tied for the Trust Trophy game at Alloa? He played in a 3-2 Round 1 win over Berwick but St Mirren were then kicked out for fielding an ineligible player and Berwick went through 3-0. So I’m curious if that counts or not? 

Iv just asked the same thing to someone at the club. Il report back if I get an answer 

28 minutes ago, Fitbafan36 said:

Still played so surely is? 

10 minutes ago, ecto said:

Dunno, Boyle is an experienced head, knows the game, if Hammy and Goldie are cool with this, then so am i 

I am not saying I’m not cool with it like, just saying it feels weird that he’s still here when he’s McIntyres man and McIntyre was punted. Like I said fair play to him if he’s put that to the side and still wants to help us out (even though he’s obviously getting a wage) and do his best for the club  

25 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I am not saying I’m not cool with it like, just saying it feels weird that he’s still here when he’s McIntyres man and McIntyre was punted. Like I said fair play to him if he’s put that to the side and still wants to help us out (even though he’s obviously getting a wage) and do his best for the club  

He didn't arrive as part of a package deal with McIntyre.  He was hired separately.  So why would they leave together?  I think you're the only person who thinks its weird...

15 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

He didn't arrive as part of a package deal with McIntyre.  He was hired separately.  So why would they leave together?  I think you're the only person who thinks its weird...

McIntyre chose him to be his assistant - like he has done previously before he was at Arbroath. So yeah it was and has been kind of a package deal. Boyle wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for McIntyre. Suspect you’re just on the wind up again though  

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Spent the usual wee bit of time looking into Smith the night. Found this interview from Ross County, watched it to see what kind of laddie he is and he mentioned Keith Watson in particular as being a massive help and influence for him. Kind of cool that they might end up playing together as a partnership for us now. Hope the kid does well 

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

McIntyre chose him to be his assistant - like he has done previously before he was at Arbroath. So yeah it was and has been kind of a package deal. Boyle wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for McIntyre. Suspect you’re just on the wind up again though  

Is that the best you have to say, "oh you're on the wind up"?  No, I'm not.  Its perfectly normal that not everyone quits when the manager does.  Nobody else finds it weird except you.  

27 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Is that the best you have to say, "oh you're on the wind up"?  No, I'm not.  It’s perfectly normal that not everyone quits when the manager does.  Nobody else finds it weird except you.  

Its not the best I’ve got it’s what most people think because you’re either at it majority of the time or thick as mince 

I said I think it’s a bit weird because he’s McIntyres man, McIntyre hired him and he is still here after he’s left - I’ve no issue with it either - what’s wrong with saying that 

Arbroath did not hire McIntyre and then tell him that Jimmy Boyle was going to be his assistant manager

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, ecto said:

On 29/09/2024 at 20:55, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Noticed this as well actually, think it’s a great move tbh

On 29/09/2024 at 19:54, TheRoundO said:

Interesting to see Jimmy Boyle deep in conversation with Hammy/Goldie on the touchline v Cove. Assume he’s stayed on as a mentor. Seems a smart move. 

Spot the odd one out.

On 29/09/2024 at 21:04, 1320Lichtie said:

Feels strange Boyle is still involved. I’m not against it or anything just looks strange from outside looking in but obviously not got a clue about the dressing room dynamic. Might be well liked. Obviously gets paid for being there but must feel a bit strange for him too, if he’s helping out then a big fair play to him.