The Arbroath Thread

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

f**k me what a midfield. 6 guys that every team would love to have out of that 8.

Bobby Linn
Martin Scott
Ryan McCord
Mark Whatley
Liam Callaghan
Omar Kader
David Gold
Gav Malin

I'd have Linn and McCord. We released Kader mind, he's bang average and the Malin signing is utterly bizarre. Strange how Dick always overloads on midfielders when his tactics are to bypass them at all costs.

I'd have Linn and McCord. We released Kader mind, he's bang average and the Malin signing is utterly bizarre. Strange how Dick always overloads on midfielders when his tactics are to bypass them at all costs.

Haven't and can't see any 'hoofball' happening so far or even last season.

Funny that, cliches eh :rolleyes:

Think we need to reel this in a bit....

Linn and McCord are proven, top players at this level with Kader a wee bit behind. I think Linn and McCord would definitely walk into any team in League 2.

Jimmy Scott has a good CV and on paper I'm happy with him signing, but we've not seen him play a minute of football for us, or at this level yet. As far as I can see he was semi regular at Raith similar to McCord the year before last and has been playing in India since. We have no idea what level he's been playing at, no idea of his fitness, if he's up for it or on his way out etc. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play a few games, but as I said, on paper it's a very good signing.

Mark Whatley put in more bad performances than good last season in my opinion. The season before he was superb, and he definitely has it in him to be a top player at this level but he needs to step it up a level or two from last year. I think playing with better players will obviously help, but based on last year there's no chance Whatley would simply walk into the top teams midfields over what they have.

Liam Callaghan was released by Cowdenbeath, where he was in and out the team last year in a side that was piss poor and got relegated. He has some potential based on what's been said and his invitation down to Birmingham for a trial a few years ago, but he is far from being a 'very good' midfielder at this level based on the last few years in my opinion. Like Jimmy Scott, I'll reserve proper judgement until I've seen him play a good few games.

On paper I would say overall we have a top level midfield at this level, in terms of starters and the backup we have. However, I am very surprised to see us have 8 midfielders signed up in total, as at least one, probably two, will get very little game. However we have no idea how our keeping situation sits until we've seen the keepers play a good few competitive games, our defence is very thin and upfront while there are far more goals than last season we have no idea at all how Prunty and Doris will work together.

Yes we have some very good individual players, but we have no idea how this will fit together as a team yet and there are still worries/ unknowns in key areas. Over the years time and again we've seen teams who're great on paper and/ or have very good individual players putting in piss poor team performances as they just don't compliment each other. We've seen teams with very little individual quality but a great togetherness, morale and organisation win the league a few times also.

We've not played a single minute of competitive football so far, we're still over 3 weeks off our first league game, and we're already setting ourselves up for a rather large fall....

Well said Simon!!!

Aye cliches. I never witnessed it for eight seasons or that eh?

Aye and as soon as Campbell was appointed that's all we got from you lads and are still continuing to get, even though we've currently got about 4 players over 6 foot tall. :lol:

So let me get this right? You could be having 2 of your four starting midfielders next season as Ryan McCord and 'Jimmy' Scott? I won't be putting any money on you winning the league next season, that's for sure :lol:

Cowdenbeath look set to walk that league..

They're both great signings at this level.

There's no way anybody is walking this league either. There's about 4/5 teams that look capable at this point..

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye and as soon as Campbell was appointed that's all we got from you lads and are still continuing to get, even though we've currently got about 4 players over 6 foot tall. :lol:

What's funny? That wont stop him.

What's funny? That wont stop him.

Well if he does for us what he done for you I really wouldn't care less. Promotion out of this league and being a baw hair away from the championship on a couple of occasions will do me just fine. Roll on the hoofball

Martin Scott was absolutely hopeless for us. Even at League 2 I wouldn't get excited about him signing. At least McCord showed flashes of ability when he could be arsed, never seen anything from Scott. 

Glad to see Whatley doing well for you, I know a few people who coached him when he was younger and they never understood why he didn't get a chance with us. Good player.

Martin Scott was absolutely hopeless for us. Even at League 2 I wouldn't get excited about him signing. At least McCord showed flashes of ability when he could be arsed, never seen anything from Scott. 

Glad to see Whatley doing well for you, I know a few people who coached him when he was younger and they never understood why he didn't get a chance with us. Good player.

Alloa fans seem to love McCord. Whatley will be playing next to him and doing all the hard work, he's the type of player that could make it at a higher level, puts in a shift, wins the ball back and keeps it simple.

Sheerin got him and Murray from outwith the leagues and they've been 2 of the best signings we have made in recent times.

Wasn't up to his usual standards last season but still probably one of the only guys to just get a pass mark, hopefully gets back to his best.

Scott seems to have done well everywhere but Raith, wasn't brilliant at Hibs either but that was more than likely just a level too high for him.

Eta: never realised he played 32 games for you..

He might be hopeless who knows but on paper it's a 30 year old guy who's played regularly and spent his whole career in the championship/premiership

It looks like Campbell has signed 8 midfielders, which is the exact amount you need. If two get injured or suspended or more then you simply need cover. The same people were moaning a few weeks ago saying we didn't have enough numbers !!

I would say we definitely need 1 more defender and could make a case for having an extra front man. I would imagine he will be looking to use loans for these. If not then there would be unbalance to the squad.

Raith fans slating McCord and Scott need to remember this is League 2, mostly part time teams including teams like Edinburgh City, you'd think these 2 will stick out. I have seen nothing to suggest we will be playing "hoofball" , from the two friendlies I have seen, it looks like we were very big on retaining possession and attacking with width/pace. Any fan of any team that expects silky football in every game at this level is living in cloud cuckoo land.

There's yer cover at LB in, Gary Phillips signed.

Martin Scott and Callaghan too.

Gomes
Mutch

Wilson
Thomson
Little
Dunlop
New centre half on loan..
Hamilton
Phillips

Linn
Scott
Whatley
McCord
Malin
Gold
Callaghan
Kader

Doris
Prunty
Hester
Maybe another striker but not sure if necessary as Linn can play up there too.

Eta: confirmed on website not up on social media yet

3 hours ago, Lichtielegend said:

When was the last time you actually watched him play?

What game?

Ross County Vs Celtic... lots of stuff on YouTube... the boy is a star don't you know ;-)  Nice try LL :-) 

Next!!! 

Ok LL who many times have you seen Martin Scott have a poor game then?

What game/s? 

Edited by lichtie36nilhello

Ross County Vs Celtic... lots of stuff on YouTube... the boy is a star don't you know ;-)  Nice try LL :-) 

Next!!! 

Kin what you're saying but mind the YouTube stuffs just the good stuff

He's 30, played nearly 200 games in the championship, never been lower than that and near 50 games in the premiership, think those are the main positive things to take from that.

Hopefully get him fit and playing to his best [emoji1360]

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Kin what you're saying but mind the YouTube stuffs just the good stuff

He's 30, played nearly 200 games in the championship, never been lower than that and near 50 games in the premiership, think those are the main positive things to take from that.

Hopefully get him fit and playing to his best emoji1360.png

I hear what you are saying, such a pity there is a lot of jealousy from supporters of other clubs and not enough optimism from our own fans, such as life eh?! ;)

I hear what you are saying, such a pity there is a lot of jealousy from supporters of other clubs and not enough optimism from our own fans, such as life eh?! [emoji6]

Not really jealousy, I'm always a bit skeptical and meh about other teams signings I've only half looked at, I think if you look at the players of other clubs you're not as interested and maybe don't realise how good or bad they are?

Looking at it closely I am personally very very happy, think it's a good group/squad were building, but it all needs to come together on the park mind. And after going near enough every week last season and watch us lose game after game after game and goal after goal I think everybody is still in a cautious mood and rightly so.

Still though, really looking forward to this season. Much more promising than last. Can't see much joy in this LC section but as long as we're fit and ready to go by the 6th August is the main thing.

Arbroath looking strong, they'll definitely be right up there come end of the season. It's going to be an exciting season with the standard (on paper anyway) being a lot higher than last year!

obviously Clyde are gonna prove we are the biggest club in the division & win the league this year though! Good luck in the playoffs lichties...