The Arbroath Thread

Little was allowed to play because it's a friendly but Wednesday is a cup game so I imagine Scott will be suspended along with Little. Need to tighten up on the discipline side of things imo.

Not so sure tbh. Littles was a sending off but got the ball think we just lost the head a bit because of the ref giving us f**k all. Scotts was horrendous but he's not looked like getting sent off in any of the other games, to be honest it's quite good that we don't seem to be pushovers. Can't see us having too many problems throughout the season though with discipline.

Scott will be missing for 2 games if he got shown a card because it'll be violent conduct, same with Pawlett too probably. Really pointless.

Scott was just being an annoying bass and closing Pawlett down, Pawlett got tripped but no reason to get up and slap Scott, then Scott just swaggering over boom tak that and decks him. :lol:

I really like the look of Jimmy Scott. Looks like the kind of player that opposition fans will really hate and that's something we badly lacked last season, a nasty c**t in midfield. A complete contrast to David Gold, who despite scoring really is an absolutely nothing player. A waste of a wage.

Several observations from yesterday:

1 - I feel a lot more comfortable with Robbie Mutch in the goal from what I've seen of our two keepers. Gomes looks like a good shot stopper, similar to Mutch, but Mutch looks to have a far better game overall.

2 - Jimmy Scott is fucking mental and looks to be exactly what we need alongside Pongo in the middle of the park. However, getting a straight red for sticking the head on someone which forces you too miss two competitive games is taking things a bit too far. If he was missing our first two league games instead of the cup ones I'd be very, very pissed off.

3 - Mikey Dunlop seems to have a touch of the Andy Munro's. It's very difficult, and also quite harsh, to judge players based on a few performances in friendly matches, but while he's looked good with the ball he seems to have a tendency to make mistakes which cost us goals. We can't have individual defenders costing us a goal or two every week when the league games start.

4 - Bryan Prunty is a penalty box striker, and if we play 1 up top at all this year it has to be Doris. Personally I'd prefer to go 4-4-2 every week with the Prunty/ Doris combination as even at this early stage I think they will compliment each other very well.

5 - It seems Dick quite clearly doesn't think much of Hester at all, and I suspect Kane will be off sooner rather than later which is a shame. I suspect he may already regret turning down moves in the summer and he wouldn't have done so if he'd known just how little game time he would be given. Trying Jimmy Scott upfront instead of giving Kane a run is rather poor in my eyes.

Agree with most of that but point number 2. Gomes hasn't really done anything wrong. Would need to see more of him for me. Goals he has lost have all been from inside the box with hardly a chance of saving them. 2 saves he pulled off yesterday were fantastic too, all he seemed to have to do apart from pick the ball out the net.

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Agree with most of that but point number 2. Gomes hasn't really done anything wrong. Would need to see more of him for me. Goals he has lost have all been from inside the box with hardly a chance of saving them. 2 saves he pulled off yesterday were fantastic too, all he seemed to have to do apart from pick the ball out the net.

His distribution was absolutely terrible, I can't remember seeing a keeper distribute the ball worse over 90 minutes. He also looks slightly eccentric, and his positioning in certain situations as well as his ability to take cross balls was rather worrying also.

Again - as I said, it's very hard to judge a player after seeing them in 1.5 games of non competitive football, but I'd much prefer to see Robbie Mutch get a run of games through August and then re-evaluate things if needed.

I think having to have all these players signed up so early for this cup has panicked a lot of managers, not much chance to have a look at players properly, would like to see you allowed to play a few trialists,

Its shame Hester didnt get a run out at all, agree I think his time is up, for all Golds bad points what I fully agree on, I'd rather have him than Malin, what dick saw in him I do not no, on the goalie situation Im not confident playing a full season with the 2 wee have, I think we will see a lot of mistakes, 

The team that played against utd and dunfermline will be close to our starting 11, but asides from Thompson and cavanagh our bench looks quite poor, 

Hopefully a few more to come in on loan to add more attacking options 

Kane's times no up. He's loving it.

Also Dick has 3 strikers signed. He's not looking for any more as far as we all know, Doris and Prunty are never playing every minute this season. Gavin Malin and McCord also played upfront yesterday. SBC spot on by look of it .

His distribution was absolutely terrible, I can't remember seeing a keeper distribute the ball worse over 90 minutes. He also looks slightly eccentric, and his positioning in certain situations as well as his ability to take cross balls was rather worrying also.

Again - as I said, it's very hard to judge a player after seeing them in 1.5 games of non competitive football, but I'd much prefer to see Robbie Mutch get a run of games through August and then re-evaluate things if needed.

No seeing it tbh Simon

Just need to wait and see

If we'd got McGurn we'd be laughing tho

If all of our players are available for our first league game I'd like to see us line-up like this-
Mutch

Whatley
Little
Hamilton
Phillips

Linn
Scott
McCord
Callaghan

Doris
Prunty

I think Mutch has shown more than Gomes so far, and he'll only get better with game time. He was shaky against Dunfermline, but his MOTM performance against United should have earned him the no.1 spot at least until the end of the league cup groups.
At the back, I much prefer Whatley at RB. If DC sees Whatley as the first choice RB then I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson move on given we have Thomson as back-up. It would appear DC wants to bring in a CB on loan, but even if he did I'd be inclined to keep Little and Hamilton together. Gary Phillips is a player I really like the look of, and while he hasn't really hit the byline much like Lowdon did, he plays some very nice balls from deep, either to the striker or to release the winger. Dunlop so far has failed to impress anyone. He looks slow and clumsy, and based on his performances so far and the reviews from Forfar fans, I'd much rather have kept Andy Munro. Hopefully Dunlop can get his fitness levels up and become a reliable back-up.
In midfield, I'd much rather Bobby was played on the right. He's painfully predictable when he plays on the left and I just don't see the point in him playing there. I've liked the look of Callaghan so far, and he looks to have a decent cross on him so I'd stick him out on the left. McCord absolutely oozes class, some of the balls he plays are incredible. The only downside with McCord is that he doesn't appear to be fully fit yet, and he's a player I'd want to be playing 90 minutes week in week out. Jimmy Scott looks to be a very good addition, the type of player we badly lacked last season. Kader hasn't shown much to impress me so far, any sort of final ball/shot has been missing from him so far. Malin looks OK so far, but isn't a player I'm expecting much from. I'm not even going to start with David Gold because it really does bemuse me why we re-signed him.
Up front Doris and Prunty will probably pick themselves most week. It'll be a shame if Hester is released because I really like him and would love if if he scored some more this season. I hope we have another striker on our radar too.
All-in-all I think we have a very decent squad and we should be challenging at the top end of the league. Given we've been terrible for 2 and a half of their 3 years at Gayf, it'd be nice to see Ricky and Bobby have a successful season with us.

Good summary 78

Hester ain't going anywhere [emoji6]

McCords wee touch and volley pass yesterday was an absolute thing of beauty by the way

I'd agree with that team in the main, Hamilton LB and Bates CH needs to happen if we get him though, by all accounts he's done well in League 1 and the Championship, guys will all play a part this season, with the exception of maybe Wilson and Dunlop who look like they might see limited time on the park barring injuries

Keeper I'm really not sure

Whatley
Little
Bates
Hamilton

Linn
Scott
McCord
Callaghan/Kader can't decide

Doris
Prunty

Strong all over the pitch with decent back up. Keeper position only one I'm worried about but hopefully a few weeks in we realise that it's fine

4 - Bryan Prunty is a penalty box striker, and if we play 1 up top at all this year it has to be Doris.

I'd watch with playing Doris up front in his own. There's no doubt he's a very good player at this level but I think his 2 years at Forthbank showed he's not the most effective lone Striker.

This isn't meant to be a dig at the lad, but I just feel when he's asked to do it all he's not as effective and his frustration builds.

Just now, BB_Bino said:

I'd watch with playing Doris up front in his own. There's no doubt he's a very good player at this level but I think his 2 years at Forthbank showed he's not the most effective lone Striker.

This isn't meant to be a dig at the lad, but I just feel when he's asked to do it all he's not as effective and his frustration builds.

I completely agree; it doesn't seem to suit either of them to play up top by themselves, but Doris has far more running in him than Prunty and can do the work in the channels better from what I've seen so far. I expect we'll go with 2 up in almost every game this season though, having played two games against teams two divisions above us with 2 up I don't see why we would revert to play 1 up top in games against teams in our own division.