The Arbroath Thread

Regarding yesterday, we were simply completely overrun by a team three levels above us who needed to get a result while we had very little to play for and had an extremely depleted team. I'm not massively concerned by it, but it was very poor and there was a huge gulf in class between the two starting 11s with some players absolutely miles off the pace which is to be expected stepping up to play a team at the level they're at.

I think everyone agrees the team has a lot of potential and individually I firmly believe we have some of the best players in the division. However, starting from now we need to see that potential fulfilled and the team come together. We will have our full starting 11 available for Tuesday and I'd like to see us start as we will next Saturday, losing to Inverness U20s would be completely unacceptable in my eyes. I expect us to get a win, and with us back to pretty much full strength there can't be any excuses if we don't.

Despite the results, I am not really concerned with our pre season and see a lot of positives in there. We were drawn in the hardest group and the only real disappointment was losing to Cowdenbeath, but again there were positives to take from that game. There is only so long we can take positives out of games without overly worrying about results though and for me that stops now, from here on in we need to be getting results. I still expect us to be top 4 and hopefully challenging for the league, even if we have a bad start we need to remember the season is played over 36 games. East Fife fans we're calling for Naysmith to go last November/ December and look what happened there, likewise with us under Paul Sheerin when we starting terribly over the first 9 games, however if we do get off to a poor start I can only assume several posters on here will be demanding Campbell leave the club, just as they did with Todd Lumsden.

Simon we both know that if we got beat 7-0 at this point last season a fair few of our support would be calling for Todd to be sacked.

21 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Simon we both know that if we got beat 7-0 at this point last season a fair few of our support would be calling for Todd to be sacked.

Name them,apart from Speckyboy

Regarding yesterday, we were simply completely overrun by a team three levels above us who needed to get a result while we had very little to play for and had an extremely depleted team. I'm not massively concerned by it, but it was very poor and there was a huge gulf in class between the two starting 11s with some players absolutely miles off the pace which is to be expected stepping up to play a team at the level they're at.

I think everyone agrees the team has a lot of potential and individually I firmly believe we have some of the best players in the division. However, starting from now we need to see that potential fulfilled and the team come together. We will have our full starting 11 available for Tuesday and I'd like to see us start as we will next Saturday, losing to Inverness U20s would be completely unacceptable in my eyes. I expect us to get a win, and with us back to pretty much full strength there can't be any excuses if we don't.

Despite the results, I am not really concerned with our pre season and see a lot of positives in there. We were drawn in the hardest group and the only real disappointment was losing to Cowdenbeath, but again there were positives to take from that game. There is only so long we can take positives out of games without overly worrying about results though and for me that stops now, from here on in we need to be getting results. I still expect us to be top 4 and hopefully challenging for the league, even if we have a bad start we need to remember the season is played over 36 games. East Fife fans we're calling for Naysmith to go last November/ December and look what happened there, likewise with us under Paul Sheerin when we starting terribly over the first 9 games, however if we do get off to a poor start I can only assume several posters on here will be demanding Campbell leave the club, just as they did with Todd Lumsden.

Good post

Looking forward to next Saturday

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

You want me to name all the individuals I heard calling for Lumsden's head in last year? The folk that i heard from our support at Gayf as early as August of last year?

To suggest that anyone would be calling for Lumsdens head in July in what in effect was a pre season friendly is absurd,he's gone get over it.

DC's objective when taking over would've been to assemble a squad to get us out of league 2 (Champions or playoff). Although yesterday was a terrible day at the office, I'm sure with this new cup format, smaller clubs would've looked at it as a better standard pre season. Can't afford a bad start like last year as once again this league looks very competitive, stronger than I first thought. Just think team still waiting to click, then we'll do fine. Keep positive.

Who would everyone prefer starts in goals next weekend?Mutch obviously started brilliantly against a United but has made mistakes against Dunfermline and Inverness recently. The first goal yesterday was something I wouldn't have even expected to see in my school team. Gomes, from what I've seen so far, seems to be quite similar to Allan Fleming. Concedes soft goals but also makes spectacular saves inbetween.

Who would everyone prefer starts in goals next weekend?Mutch obviously started brilliantly against a United but has made mistakes against Dunfermline and Inverness recently. The first goal yesterday was something I wouldn't have even expected to see in my school team. Gomes, from what I've seen so far, seems to be quite similar to Allan Fleming. Concedes soft goals but also makes spectacular saves inbetween.

Think I'm a Gomes man. Tbf to Gomes I don't think he has done much wrong in his game and a half. All the goals he lost were so easy for the attacking team. Would go with him personally. In hindsight Fleming would've been good to keep.

16 minutes ago, CowdenConvert said:

Wheels coming off at Arbroath IMO.

3 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Lol

Thanks for your concern, now go worry about your own clubs, we will be fine

As much as I think the challenge cup is a duff tournament it would be nice to take a win going into our first league game.

My only concern is being a centre half short and haven't seen much from Prunty yet but he has had a later pre season than most. Actually think Doris and Hester could be a good combo. Think the new league cup is a tough one for lower league teams but if we can be organised like we were against utd then we will win plenty of games this season.