The Arbroath Thread

I know. His post match interviews won't get any better. Wait till he hands that duty on to his brother!

Was a good post match interview. Was very honest and summed the game up well. The tired comment is obviously due to the fact we've now played 10 games in just about a month (6 against FT opposition and 2 extremely long trips in the space of a week) pre season. I liked the fact he actually feels the same as the fans in regards to the 3 at the back, not stubborn about it and just calling it like it is.

Just you worry about your own team. [emoji6]

Was a good post match interview. Was very honest and summed the game up well. The tired comment is obviously due to the fact we've now played 10 games in just about a month (6 against FT opposition and 2 extremely long trips in the space of a week) pre season. I liked the fact he actually feels the same as the fans in regards to the 3 at the back, not stubborn about it and just calling it like it is.

Just you worry about your own team. [emoji6]

Don't worry we've plenty to think about all right! [emoji2]

While I understand we want to keep teams like Aberdeen happy for our own benefit further down the line, I still think the decision to play that friendly was a poor one. Ultimately Dick has his reasons for going ahead with the game, but with the already busy schedule I certainly think it was detrimental to the players, and if Dick feels the team are looking tired maybe in hindsight he feels we shouldn't have arranged an unnecessary extra game in an already very busy period?

In terms of the 3-5-2, I have to say I am not a fan whatsoever. I feel defensively it leaves us exposed down the flanks, and it means Bobby and Omar have to do a lot of tracking back to cover the flanks and neither of them are defensive players. Going forward it restricts us massively down the wings. Bobby is doubled up on most weeks as it is, without an overlapping fullback to take a man away he is almost permanently left with two men to beat before he can get a ball into the box, likewise with Omar. Of course it does mean we have an extra man in the middle of the park in Mark Whatley who can then protect the back 3 allowing Jimmy Scott and Pongo to get further forward and create, I just feel that the benefits of this are far less than the benefits of having two good wingers with two full backs overlapping. You can also have as many defensive midfielders protecting the back 4 as you want but it'll never cover the big gaps down the flanks when playing with a back 3. If we came up against a side with two good wingers we would be in deep shit defensively, and we would struggle in attack with Omar and Bobby kept in their own half by the threat of said wingers.

Before we'd even kicked a ball in pre season I heard a wee whisper that Dick's plan for the season was to go for the 3-5-2, but I'm glad after Saturday he sounds like he will now re-evaluate this. With the squad we have I feel a 4-4-2 is a far better option. Individually I think we have a lot of potential with this squad, attacking players like Boab, Jimmy Scott, Pongo and Doris are superb at this level and if it all comes together we could be a delight to watch at times this season. I fully expect us to beat Montrose on Saturday, if we play a 4-4-2 and play to our strengths.

Agree Simon but I have a funny feeling that the club thought it could've been a wee money spinner like it was a few seasons ago, obviously didn't turn out that way but I've a feeling that's why that game was played.

Which is understandable

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 14:41, superlichtie87 said:
  1. 1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

While I understand we want to keep teams like Aberdeen happy for our own benefit further down the line, I still think the decision to play that friendly was a poor one. Ultimately Dick has his reasons for going ahead with the game, but with the already busy schedule I certainly think it was detrimental to the players, and if Dick feels the team are looking tired maybe in hindsight he feels we shouldn't have arranged an unnecessary extra game in an already very busy period?

In terms of the 3-5-2, I have to say I am not a fan whatsoever. I feel defensively it leaves us exposed down the flanks, and it means Bobby and Omar have to do a lot of tracking back to cover the flanks and neither of them are defensive players. Going forward it restricts us massively down the wings. Bobby is doubled up on most weeks as it is, without an overlapping fullback to take a man away he is almost permanently left with two men to beat before he can get a ball into the box, likewise with Omar. Of course it does mean we have an extra man in the middle of the park in Mark Whatley who can then protect the back 3 allowing Jimmy Scott and Pongo to get further forward and create, I just feel that the benefits of this are far less than the benefits of having two good wingers with two full backs overlapping. You can also have as many defensive midfielders protecting the back 4 as you want but it'll never cover the big gaps down the flanks when playing with a back 3. If we came up against a side with two good wingers we would be in deep shit defensively, and we would struggle in attack with Omar and Bobby kept in their own half by the threat of said wingers.

Before we'd even kicked a ball in pre season I heard a wee whisper that Dick's plan for the season was to go for the 3-5-2, but I'm glad after Saturday he sounds like he will now re-evaluate this. With the squad we have I feel a 4-4-2 is a far better option. Individually I think we have a lot of potential with this squad, attacking players like Boab, Jimmy Scott, Pongo and Doris are superb at this level and if it all comes together we could be a delight to watch at times this season. I fully expect us to beat Montrose on Saturday, if we play a 4-4-2 and play to our strengths.

I am not sure that game against Aberdeen had any baring on any of the players fitness or energy levels. The double trip to Inverness (which was just bad luck with the draw) was a bit unfortunate, as he said in the interview it is unlike any other season, I think Colin Hamilton for example has played in about 10 games before a ball is kicked in the league, definitely not ideal.

Regarding the system dilemma, I think the switch is based on keeping Whatley, Scott and McCord in the team and he must feel that he is not comfortable with a back 4 with who is available, I think the main problem is the right back position, does he move Whatley there? looks like Thomson and Wilson are injured so in a way the 3-5-2 has been almost forced on us. I agree it hinders Omar and Bobby.

I am not sure that game against Aberdeen had any baring on any of the players fitness or energy levels. The double trip to Inverness (which was just bad luck with the draw) was a bit unfortunate, as he said in the interview it is unlike any other season, I think Colin Hamilton for example has played in about 10 games before a ball is kicked in the league, definitely not ideal.

Regarding the system dilemma, I think the switch is based on keeping Whatley, Scott and McCord in the team and he must feel that he is not comfortable with a back 4 with who is available, I think the main problem is the right back position, does he move Whatley there? looks like Thomson and Wilson are injured so in a way the 3-5-2 has been almost forced on us. I agree it hinders Omar and Bobby.

Whatley has been great at RB don't see that as a problem at all, with McCord and Jimmy fit id say Whatley was 1st choice RB even if Thomson or Wilson was fit.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Whatley has been great at RB don't see that as a problem at all, with McCord and Jimmy fit id say Whatley was 1st choice RB even if Thomson or Wilson was fit.

Agree with that, not so sure on the Dunlop / Little partnership as yet so maybe that's why he reverted to a 3.

Oh my it stinks of bridies in here... ;)

Lets get back to 4-4-2 please... we need the central defence pairing of Little and Hamilton and a bit of freedom for Kadar and Linn... IMO we would have won vs Berwick if we had not gone with 3-5-2, the wide open space for the Berwick goal highlighted the pitfall of the aforementioned formation. 

Onward and upward...

MegaTech to sponsor Arbroath FC for a further 3 years... superb news. So many great things happening off the pitch... time to get it right on the pitch now.  Starting at Links Park.

Script with Megatech? Is this who George Rowe (what a guy) works with/for?

Eta: just seen it is.

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Script with Megatech? Is this who George Rowe (what a guy) works with/for?

Eta: just seen it is.

As far as I know ex player George Rowe is owner or part owner of Megatech, to have a long term sponsor is a good sign for all concerned with Arbroath FC.