The Arbroath Thread

I'd say overall we played rather well last night, although I would consider Inverness U20s a level or two below us. As I said prior to the game, in my opinion it would have been extremely embarrassing to lose that type of game and we did the right thing playing a pretty much full strength team to get a win under our belts.

We went with a 3-5-2, with Dunlop, Ricky and Hammy as the back 3, Omar and Boab on the wings and Whatley sitting with Pongo and Jimmy Scott infront of him. I think it worked fairly well, but it's hard to judge against the level we were playing at. I would worry that there would be big gaps down the wings if we played a similar formation against a team with two out and out wingers also. Overall everyone played well and Ricky Little and Hammy at the back were excellent, comfortably dealing with the kids they were up against as you'd expect. Bobby set up two of the goals and also played well, however as there was only 10 or so of us there we can expect the Gayfield masses to not acknowledge this whatsoever and lose their shit as soon as he has his first shot on Saturday instead of releasing the ball to someone else.... From what I've seen so far this year, Omar wastes far more ball than Bobby does as his crossing into the box can be very, very poor a lot of the time. While Omar is obviously a good winger who can beat a man, if he consistently fails to deliver the final ball he could easily find himself in and out the team over the next 9 months. Ultimately I think while Omar will have his moments and do a good job for us he will be immensely frustrating to watch.

I am rather glad we've got these Inverness games out the way now, and I think it's safe to say I'd be happy to take a home draw in the next round.

Edited by SimonLichtie

Enjoyed the win last night. Both keepers did well. Hope Gomes not seriously injured. He made some good stops in the first half. Dunlop looked much fitter and a decent defender. My worry is that the 2 up front aren't really combining so far but both working hard. Maybe 1 up front could pay off?

1 up? No thanks! You on the wind up? ;)

Doris and Prunty need more games together against teams at our level, they've only really had last night and Cowden. Strikers had very slim pickings in the other games, I'm positive that they've just been left on for fitness in some games, the 3 league cup ones. They're both proven and we're just in to August. Give it a chance first. Pretty sure we're still after another striker/centre half.

1 up? No thanks! You on the wind up? [emoji6]

Doris and Prunty need more games together against teams at our level, they've only really had last night and Cowden. Strikers had very slim pickings in the other games, I'm positive that they've just been left on for fitness in some games, the 3 league cup ones. They're both proven and we're just in to August. Give it a chance first. Pretty sure we're still after another striker/centre half.

Did Prunty play against us? Can't say I noticed him.

Have only seen front two twice, RR an ICT u20s, neither have really impressed as being a team. 

Hopefully things will improve and they will learn to pass and take the opportunities when they arise. 

We need to get a team playing together and making chances for each other rather than players hoofing the ball miles over the bar or kicking it directly to the keeper in a belief that one can score at every attempt when that is clearly not the case.