The Arbroath Thread

Well, that was embarrassing. It answered a few questions though. Do we have the great strength in depth I and others though? No. Should Graham be in the team for Whatley? No. How long will our unbeaten run last? 13 games. How good are our defence? Not impressive when faced with some good forwards. Are we as good as I thought we were? No. Will we win our league? Unlikely. Will Edinburgh City win their league and be playing us next year? Probably. Where do we need reinforcements? Central midfield. Is Doris going to explode back into the team? No, it’ll take a while. Can we continue to play 442/424? Maybe need another body in midfield so 433 - and Bobby is our only in form winger anyway.

No

Well, that was embarrassing. It answered a few questions though. Do we have the great strength in depth I and others though? No. Should Graham be in the team for Whatley? No. How long will our unbeaten run last? 13 games. How good are our defence? Not impressive when faced with some good forwards. Are we as good as I thought we were? No. Will we win our league? Unlikely. Will Edinburgh City win their league and be playing us next year? Probably. Where do we need reinforcements? Central midfield. Is Doris going to explode back into the team? No, it’ll take a while. Can we continue to play 442/424? Maybe need another body in midfield so 433 - and Bobby is our only in form winger anyway.

One bad game and it’s all gone to the dogs [emoji854]

Just a reality check.

Every team anywhere in the world will have stinkers over the course of a season. It’s October and that was our first properly bad performance, and it was with a weakened team in the diddy cup. We are 4 points clear at the top of the league so it’s not quite panic stations yet I don’t think.

Just a reality check.

Calm it down a bit eh, ffs.

ToB has been one of the best players if not the best I've seen in an Arbroath top, he looked like Mikey Dunlop last night. It was an awful performance but getting carried away about it like you have will only put pressure on.

Think you would be better off using the evidence of the 14 games previous for your questions [emoji85]

Fair enough comments about this being a diddy cup and Danny Denholm's comments about it and  the management not taking it seriously. But if that's the case then why bother entering the competition the first place, or is it a requirement from the football hierarchy that league clubs must take part? And if that's the attitude why should anyone bother to turn up and pay to watch a team that aren't bothered about winning the game? If I went to a show where the actors hadn't bothered learning their lines or a band didn't bother playing in tune I'd be annoyed and the same applies to last night's game.

Glad I didn't record the game from Alba, wouldn't want to watch it again.

Fair enough comments about this being a diddy cup and Danny Denholm's comments about it and  the management not taking it seriously. But if that's the case then why bother entering the competition the first place, or is it a requirement from the football hierarchy that league clubs must take part? And if that's the attitude why should anyone bother to turn up and pay to watch a team that aren't bothered about winning the game? If I went to a show where the actors hadn't bothered learning their lines or a band didn't bother playing in tune I'd be annoyed and the same applies to last night's game.
Glad I didn't record the game from Alba, wouldn't want to watch it again.

It is a requirement to play aye

Yes it’s a diddy cup ruined by the introduction of the foreign sides, but it’s still something the club should be aiming to win. A cup final away day would be terrific for the club and supporters.

Don't forget under 21 teams! If we're not going to run a reserve team when do our fringe players get game time? It's a fine balance but I'd rather concentrate on the league than this cup.

Don't forget under 21 teams! If we're not going to run a reserve team when do our fringe players get game time? It's a fine balance but I'd rather concentrate on the league than this cup.

I agree that the league is the priority, I just fancied a cup run with potential of a final. If we won yesterday would the club have started taking it more seriously ?

I agree that the league is the priority, I just fancied a cup run with potential of a final. If we won yesterday would the club have started taking it more seriously ?
But we should be taking every cup serious.

No point in not caring about it in the first few rounds then all of a sudden start caring about it as we get closer to the final.

A bit of a horror show last night don't think I have seen a team with so many players completely off form in one game can't think of anyone who started getting pass marks everyone was completely off it, City pretty much took us to the cleaners and the subs who started haven't done themselves any favours however I hope it was just a once in a blue moon performance from us. Would've been good to have gotten to the final regardless of it being a Mickey Mouse cup.

On a positive note the pitch looked amazing considering the rain that had fallen....always like to finish on a positive note:)

Edited by keptie

Well that brought us back down to earth. What is all the talk about a weakened team ?  Thought we had players on the bench who would be first choice in any other team.  Nice to see Doris back, but him and Wallace are of the same mold (hold up and distribute) not real goal scorers. What we need is a goal scorer(oh! I forgot we have one, Hester).  Strange the whole team had an off night, or are we not as good as we thought. Defence had a shocking night and Hammy was on his a...  more often than usual. Maybe it,s time to reflect on what went wrong.

Still I expect I will be there cheering them on next week 

Agree with keptie, very odd that every player in an Arbroath shirt had a bit of a mare. It was a dreadful performance. Believe it or not I think it may have been a good thing. Should serve as a wake up call and shows we can’t be complacent. 

Brilliant to see Doris back, absolutely brilliant.

57 minutes ago, Old Timer said:

Nice to see Doris back, but him and Wallace are of the same mold (hold up and distribute) not real goal scorers.

Wallace averages over a goal every two games started in in his career - a number of those appearances at a level above League One.

I don't think there any many part time strikers in Scotland who have a better record than that, is there?

Edited by SimonLichtie

Yes it’s a diddy cup ruined by the introduction of the foreign sides, but it’s still something the club should be aiming to win. A cup final away day would be terrific for the club and supporters.

Bang on. One of the best days I've had supporting the Sons was winning away at TNS last season, a truly incredible away day with everyone in fine form. The bus home was absolute chaos.

It's not often clubs like ourselves get to experience a cup final but we got that chance last season. The shitebag Aitken tactics ensured it wasn't to be but the experience of getting to, and playing in a cup final will live long in the memory.