The Arbroath Thread

Wallace and Doris aren't the same and Hester isn't good enough to start for a team at the top end of League 1. Doris is more like McKenna surely. If Hester was signed from some Ayrshire team instead of Arbroath Vics there wouldn't be half the fuss that there is

If Doris gets back to where he was before he was injured DC is gonna have a decision to make about who leads the line between Doris and Wallace. they are not similar players Doris puts himself about far more than Wallace  but Wallace probably better in front of goal. Doris for all his good play is never a prolific scorer(this is not a criticism Big Lichtie just an observation :)). If Doris does get back to the form he was in pre injury would be difficult to leave him out but DC does like Wallace. Play them together?

Ryan Wallace is, quite rightly, one of the first names on the teamsheet every week. It's quite comical how undervalued he is by quite a lot of our support.

This season we've predominately played two strikers up top, Mikey McKenna and Ryan Wallace - both players who I like and have been excellent for us in their time here.

One of those strikers has over 100 goals in the SPFL, has played a lot of his career at this level/ the level above, averages better than a goal for every two starts he makes, has (I think) the most assists out of anyone this season in our squad and recently was voted player of the month for the ENTIRE DIVISION.

The other striker is a player who has barely played upfront in his whole career, a player who the management don't even think is a striker and has a worse goalscoring record for us than his striking partner.

Incredibly,  all the talk from people about replacing one of them seems to be with regards to the former :lol: 

If anyone thinks Ryan Wallace is going to drop out and be benched ahead of anyone else we currently have at the club you're kidding yerself. He's here for another 18 months minimum, and in that time he will continue to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. Dick knows how valuable he is for us, the other players know how valuable he is for us, and frankly I'm sure Waldo is more than happy to keep contributing as much as he does every week to the team in order to keep his place while 'ssshhhhing' silly fans who shout abuse at him after he scores goals. :)

It's odd to me that so many people seem to prefer strikers who charge around the pitch tiring themselves out, chasing lost causes and putting in unnecessary tackles over players who have footballing brains and use them to know how to position themselves, how to hold it, how to shape their body etc. Ryan Wallace does everything a good striker at this level needs to do, both on and off the ball.

Edited by SimonLichtie

Ryan Wallace is, quite rightly, one of the first names on the teamsheet every week. It's quite comical how undervalued he is by quite a lot of our support.
This season we've predominately played two strikers up top, Mikey McKenna and Ryan Wallace - both players who I like and have been excellent for us in their time here.
One of those strikers has over 100 goals in the SPFL, has played a lot of his career at this level/ the level above, averages better than a goal for every two starts he makes, has (I think) the most assists out of anyone this season in our squad and recently was voted player of the month for the ENTIRE DIVISION.
The other striker is a player who has barely played upfront in his whole career, a player who the management don't even think is a striker and has a worse goalscoring record for us than his striking partner.
Incredibly,  all the talk from people about replacing one of them seems to be with regards to the former [emoji38] 
If anyone thinks Ryan Wallace is going to drop out and be benched ahead of anyone else we currently have at the club you're kidding yerself. He's here for another 18 months minimum, and in that time he will continue to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. Dick knows how valuable he is for us, the other players know how valuable he is for us, and frankly I'm sure Waldo is more than happy to keep contributing as much as he does every week to the team in order to keep his place while 'ssshhhhing' silly fans who shout abuse at him after he scores goals. [emoji4]
It's odd to me that so many people seem to prefer strikers who charge around the pitch tiring themselves out, chasing lost causes and putting in unnecessary tackles over players who have footballing brains and use them to know how to position themselves, how to hold it, how to shape their body etc. Ryan Wallace does everything a good striker at this level needs to do, both on and off the ball.
This man love you have for Wallace is getting serious Simon.[emoji7]

Wallace has better technique and is much more skilful and creative than Doris or McKenna.

He's like a cross between Bobby Linn and Steven Doris.

A fully fit Doris and McKenna are much more similar, work like f**k, great at holding it up and bringing others into play, very physical, put themselves about with defenders and can take a goal. IMO.

It’s a good problem to have, once Steven is fully fit they fight it out for the positions. Remember we’ve still not really seen enough of smith which gives you four strikers. McKenna is the one that could maybe drop into a wide position if need be.

I think our problems our wide are more serious. At which point do we stop waiting for Denholm to come good and just accept he’s never going to recreate his Forfar/Early last season form again. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he will. Really disappointed David Gold didn’t take a game on Friday night, been wanting him to get a run on the wing but he was awful.

I think our problems our wide are more serious. At which point do we stop waiting for Denholm to come good and just accept he’s never going to recreate his Forfar/Early last season form again. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he will. Really disappointed David Gold didn’t take a game on Friday night, been wanting him to get a run on the wing but he was awful.
Think gold in the middle of the park on Friday might have worked better. Played well there a couple of times this season. Hard to judge off just one game. If that was the only Arbroath game you had seen this season you would think our whole squad was poor. Obviously that's not the case.

Think some of the problems down the wing come down to the formation.

Early last season we played a 4-2-3-1 formation.

It did invite more pressure on the defence down both flanks as our wingers were further up the pitch and not able to provide as much defensive cover.

But it gave the likes of Denholm to be more dangerous in attack, especially with McCord being offered the freedom to just sit further forward and slide in passes left, right and centre without having to chase the ball or help the defence out. He had 2 boys behind him to do all the legwork.

With the 4-4-2 it makes us more stable down the flanks but Denholm and Kader are less effective as they are needed to chase back more and when the counter is on they dont have the legs to run up and down the wing all game. Same problem happened when we played 3-5-2. We dont have the players that can play wing back effectivly. They either cant defend well enough or are not fit ebough to bomb up and down the wing.

I think Denholms been fine, obviously not Friday but nobody was. He's still not had a proper run of games this season. He's only just got back starting in recent weeks.

Last seasons different, hard to get back to what you were after a bad injury during the season. Play him every week and see how he gets on.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/east-fife/east-fife-cup-tie-set-to-be-brought-forward-1-4816204

Notice Arbroath have now been dragged into our Diddy Cup saga!!!

How much is that going to inconvenience you lot???

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/east-fife/east-fife-cup-tie-set-to-be-brought-forward-1-4816204
Notice Arbroath have now been dragged into our Diddy Cup saga!!!
How much is that going to inconvenience you lot???

It’s a joke. The way I see it is that their are three options which don’t see us out of pocket due to loss of attendance and hospitality income.
1)Bohemians forfeit as they can’t fulfil fixture
2)Bohemians-EF is played midweek
3)EF have to move a home game so it’s them that lose out on a Saturday gate

Farce of a competition.