How definitive is the White Paper

MarkoRaj

Last night kezia Dugdale used a bizarre reasoning when she was debating with Elaine C Smith. She said "you shouldn't vote for independence if you disagree with one policy that appears in the White paper." Or something along those lines. I find that an utterly ludicrous proposition. As far as I can see the vote is for independence, not an implementation of every single idea proposed by it, highlighted by Patrick Harvie who disagrees with plenty of SNP iScotland policies.

Surely in the event of Independence Scottish Labour would have to put forward their own vision. The 2016 elections would be absolutely fascinating in terms of the huge range of policies that would have to be implemented. For example if the public agrees that a cut in CT is not in the best interests of the country, surely this will be reflected in government seen as how the SNP seem to be the only ones who are advocating it.

How important was the White Paper in making your decision? How much of it do you think is cast iron in the event of a Yes?

I personally use it to get the general idea but am not expecting absolutely everything to apply in 2016 should Yes win.

As you point out, there's nothing to stop the changing of policy in subsequent elections. We're replying to the question of 'Should Scotland be an independent country', not electing a 2016 or 2020 government quite yet.

Last night kezia Dugdale used a bizarre reasoning when she was debating with Elaine C Smith. She said "you shouldn't vote for independence if you disagree with one policy that appears in the White paper." Or something along those lines. I find that an utterly ludicrous proposition. As far as I can see the vote is for independence, not an implementation of every single idea proposed by it, highlighted by Patrick Harvie who disagrees with plenty of SNP iScotland policies.

Surely in the event of Independence Scottish Labour would have to put forward their own vision. The 2016 elections would be absolutely fascinating in terms of the huge range of policies that would have to be implemented. For example if the public agrees that a cut in CT is not in the best interests of the country, surely this will be reflected in government seen as how the SNP seem to be the only ones who are advocating it.

How important was the White Paper in making your decision? How much of it do you think is cast iron in the event of a Yes?

Flip it and think if you can find one thing wrong with the union, then you should reject the union.

How simple was that?

THycnv8.gif

(The White Paper, not your post)

Aside from the No mob misquoting the white paper last night on troop numbers (Tory wumman's mistake) and by ommission (Dugdale said the living wage is not mentioned in the white paper (it's mentioned 27 times) all it is is a blueprint for how we start off in an independent Scotland.

I couldn't give too much of a shit about the white paper, tbf, but I can why it has it's place.

But, for me, it's nothing more than the start. A few ideas written down. How we shape it's up to us.

I think's it's fine calling it a blueprint if there were an alternative on the table - there isn't.

In all likelyhood if there were independence the SNP would be elected as the first government in iScotland and this White Paper would be the foundation of their election manifesto.

Out of interest have other pro-independence parties come up with alternatives?

I think's it's fine calling it a blueprint if there were an alternative on the table - there isn't.

In all likelyhood if there were independence the SNP would be elected as the first government in iScotland and this White Paper would be the foundation of their election manifesto.

It's BetterTogether that reneged on producing a white paper, why?

Why would they produce a White Paper on policies for an independent Scotland?

I am talking about alternatives to the SNP policies in an iScotland.

Naw, they were supposed to produce a white paper on what happened after a NO.

The SNP have created a timetable post-Indy which ensures they are going to be in power at the point of Independence and will lead the negotiations.

They don't want the electorate to have the chance to punt them before then.

Naw, they were supposed to produce a white paper on what happened after a NO.

Were they? When was this promised?

How can BT (which isn't a political party) create a White Paper?

The SNP have created a timetable post-Indy which ensures they are going to be in power at the point of Independence and will lead the negotiations.

They don't want the electorate to have the chance to punt them before then.

If we do vote YES do you expect a backlash against the SNP any time soon?

I don't.

Archived