All things Dundee FC

Yep, thats another Hartley f**k-up IMO. Could it not have worked with Loy playing off Haber? He's more experienced than Wighton, and it would also allow Wighton to get a rest.

I said on here that Loy had to be given a shot up front but it seemed like everyone and their nan disagreed with me. He's the only player in our team who has proved that he can score goals at this level yet we punt him off on loan.

Even better is that we've not brought anyone in to replace him!! Fucking shambles. I hope there's an option to recall him.

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Must win. Surely you'll  all be going.

Apart from Deeboy cause he never goes.

Tam.  You've surely got enough to worry about St Johnstone's poor home support without concerning yourself with Dundee's away support ;)

Edited by Shadow Play

Just watched a guy with a great touch called Gary Harkins for Ayr Utd pinging inch perfect crossfield passes, take on players and basically be Ayr's most creative player. If only we had a player like that. 

At least we've got Tom Hateley.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Just watched a guy with a great touch called Gary Harkins for Ayr Utd pinging inch perfect crossfield passes, take on players and basically be Ayr's most creative player. If only we had a player like that. 

At least we've got Tom Hateley.

I miss jeebsy!

On 27/01/2017 at 22:00, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Avoid the play-offs, and bin all of the shitebags you signed Hartley, then you might have a chance. Thank you.

Don't worry you'll bounce back after Thistle's win on St David's Day...

With us not having a game in midweek, I was thinking about how I would look over the first two sets of fixtures and how each player has been. This is where I got to:

Bain - Seems to have taken a step back since last season, he's conceded a fair few goal this season that I would have expected him to save. However, he is still the number one keeper by far.

Mitchell - Didn't concede in the games he played, but just doesn't fill me with confidence.

Holt - Infuriatingly inconsistent. I think there's a decent player in there, but just doesn't produce it often enough.

Vincent - Looked woeful in his first few games, has been slightly better recently, but still not near good enough to make me realise why Hartley was so eager to get him on a pre-contract

O'Dea - Solid signing, few lapses here and there, but a good choice as captain.

Hateley - Looks interested about twice per game, if we are lucky. His crosses from corners and free kicks have been actually pretty decent, but not sure it's enough to justify a place in the team.

Low - Still waiting for him to play more than two games without getting injured, so can't really say anything, expect that he hasn't done anything noteworthy when he has played.

Loy - Thought he was going to kick on and fill the gap left by Hemmings at the start of the season, but just seems to have faded away. However, looking at our subs at Pittodrie, he might have been worth keeping, although he might not have been too keen to stay warming the bench.

Duffy - Never seen anything from him that would make me see why we signed him, never mind Celtic.

Williams - Only we could sign a winger that doesn't want to run with the ball, take people on or cross the ball. Waste of a wage.

O'Hara - Started the season looking like the signing of the summer for any club. Hasn't been anything like the same player since he came back from injury. Would love to see him playing as an attacking midfielder behind the front men, instead of being out on the wing or at right back!

Julen - Like Holt, I think he could be a really good player, but doesn't produce it often enough. Also quite prone to giving away penalties, not the best thing for a central defender.

Ross - Hasn't really featured much this season, but must be wondering if he's really that much worse than Vincent, McGowan, Hateley etc. Would like to see him given another chance, but wouldn't be broken-hearted if he didn't.

McGowan - Has one game where's he's everywhere, tackling, breaking up attacks and then using the ball effectively, then the next he's shouting at everyone, looking fed up and making ridiculous challenges and unnecessary fouls. Maybe relying too much on his cult hero status, rather than his efforts on the pitch?

Yordi - Was pretty decent against Hearts at Tynecastle, has a bit of physical presence, but needs a lot more work to be good at this level. 

El Bak - Could be one hell of a player, good control of the ball, quick footed and not afraid to have a shot. Can also look uninterested if things aren't going well and is too easily shoved off the ball.

Haber - Made quite a difference when he first arrived - someone who could win headers, bring other people in to play and, without sounding cliched, has a good touch for a big man. Needs someone to link up with though. The game against St Mirren showed that if someone can do better than him in the air, he can quickly become anonymous.

Gadz - Becoming a more and more important player, seems to have the fewest moments of madness of all our central defenders and, apparently, has quite a finish on him!

Kerr - Player of the season so far, committed, powerful on the ball and quite pacy. Still has a lot of rough edges, but definitely a star in the making.

Wighton - Absolutely superb against the fermers at Dens, flashes of brilliance dotted throughout the season, but still far too lightweight and gets muscled out of the game too often.

Gomis - Physically imposing, but not really impressed with his positional play or his distribution.

I think we have a (small) nucleus of good/potentially good players - Bain, O'Dea, O'Hara, El Bak, Haber, Gadz, Kerr and Wighton. Some players we could happily see the back of without any heartache - Duffy (has he actually left??), Williams, Gomis, Low, Vincent. We also have a fair few players that I can see some positives in, but with an almost equal number of negatives - Holt, Hateley, Julen, Ross, McGowan, Yordi, Loy and Mitchell. It's these players where Hartley has to prove he is worth the money - can he get the best out of these players or will they move elsewhere and then show their potential under a different manager?

We need some creativity in midfield, more bite in midfield (without undue recklessness), a proven finisher and competition at left back. So, that should be easy to sort out before Wednesday...

Unfortunately we were saying the same things last season. The midfield was needing a creative spark, wingers were required and the defence was needing boosted.

Hartley brought in Gomis, Hateley, Williams and Vincent. They've not lived upto the required standard. Vincent the best out them (he's been much better than people make out).

It's annoyed me going into games such as last Friday and this coming Saturday knowing there's no chance of a win. It paints a sorry picture.

Changes needed this summer.