All things Dundee FC

I'm betting that Jocky is currently getting Mrs Jocky to wash his tracksuit and bobble hat.

Seriously, though, I'm struggling to see a realistic candidate who can turn things around.

Two wins and a draw would be enough to escape bottom, three wins probably enough to finish 10th or better, but it's difficult to see where goals are going to come from. El Bak looks lively enough and Haber can hold the ball and bring others into play, but there's precious little else. We also need someone to teach them how to cross the ball into the box, avoiding the first defender, the goalie and opposite touchline... I live in hope.

10 minutes ago, LiamDFC said:

Hearing we've approached GGH with a player/manager role. If that is true, he would certainly be the coolest manager in world football.

I laughed at first, but maybe it isn't such a silly idea considering the other candidates being suggested.

Please come home, Gary. We love and miss you.

Thank you.

Surely we couldn't have him as a registered player this season? Unless the Honest Men cancel his playing contract???

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I've heard it's Archie Knox, which seems utterly ronkers

Nelms employs someone to scour Dundee's social media/forums etc so that could make sense as he's been a big shout by the fans.

1 minute ago, Spikethedee said:

Surely we couldn't have him as a registered player this season? Unless the Honest Men cancel his playing contract???

The same guy told me that we were going to sack Hartley at the start of January. He's been right about everything else though...

Seems totally implausible but stranger things have happened at this club.

Nelms employs someone to scour Dundee's social media/forums etc so that could make sense as he's been a big shout by the fans.

Seems daft, to me. When did he actually last manage a club at this level? Stinks of a Tommy Craig situation

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seems daft, to me. When did he actually last manage a club at this level? Stinks of a Tommy Craig situation

A quick look at his wikipedia suggests the last team he managed was Dundee in 1986. Every other job (bar the Scotland u21s) has been an assistant gig.

Edit: Sorry, he had 2 games as caretaker of Bolton in 2007.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's our most successful living manager. There's regular shouts for him every time we have a vacancy. Despite his recent lack of experience, he'd be a great shout considering the other names in the frame particularly if it's a short term role. He can do the Bomber role of delivering a 'rocket' without having the baggage of Bomber.

He's also familiar with Nelms as he was our chief scout until Hartley punted him.

The same guy told me that we were going to sack Hartley at the start of January. He's been right about everything else though...
Seems totally implausible but stranger things have happened at this club.

Harkins was golfing in St Andrews earlier today.

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's our most successful living manager. There's regular shouts for him every time we have a vacancy. Despite his recent lack of experience, he'd be a great shout considering the other names in the frame particularly if it's a short term role. He can do the Bomber role of delivering a 'rocket' without having the baggage of Bomber.

He's also familiar with Nelms as he was our chief scout until Hartley punted him.

If they're looking at making a quick, short term appointment then I can see the logic behind it. It seems wild but in all honesty I can't really see a candidate who'd want the job long term wanting to come in with 5 games to go and risk a relegation on his CV as soon as he's in the door.

Having looked at SkyBet's odds on candidates the first 5 names are Stubbs, Hopkin, Duffy, Butcher and Locke. Hardly names to fill you with confidence and in the case of Stubbs and Duffy I'd have thought both of them would wait until the end of the season before making any decisions.

If they're honestly talking about making an appointment in such a short timeframe then you have to think it's something that's been discussed before now.

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

If they're looking at making a quick, short term appointment then I can see the logic behind it. It seems wild but in all honesty I can't really see a candidate who'd want the job long term wanting to come in with 5 games to go and risk a relegation on his CV as soon as he's in the door.

Having looked at SkyBet's odds on candidates the first 5 names are Stubbs, Hopkin, Duffy, Butcher and Locke. Hardly names to fill you with confidence and in the case of Stubbs and Duffy I'd have thought both of them would wait until the end of the season before making any decisions.

If they're honestly talking about making an appointment in such a short timeframe then you have to think it's something that's been discussed before now.

It has been. The board have been close to sacking Hartley before and new appointments have been discussed by names and even rumoured approaches at the extreme end.

Hartley was never surviving this season after the cup performances and was only really kept on because we were stable enough in the league and sacking could put that in jeopardy. I think the new guy will be known today.