All things Dundee FC

On 12/1/2017 at 13:11, Moo said:

Yes. AJ Smith will more than likely go back down south and hopefully a striker different from Haber/Moussa coming in.

Vincent, Gadz and perhaps Jules will likely leave. f**k knows if Spanish Jon will stay or go.

Waiting for the headline of having Wighton back  just like a new signing. Problem is he's not really the out and out  striker we could do with. With Low, Wighton and McPake (as cover) back in the frame we should try to move on Vincent, Gadz, Wolters and O'Dea (he still has 18 months contract and I think he would make a lower division team a good player manager). Jules, I would keep as cover until the summer. Only in would be said striker - probably a 23ish year old not being offered a new contract by a English Premier/Championship side (Kamara/Jordan Jones style signing)   

So who we ideally shipping out and shipping in in Jan chaps?

Ideally for me bin Bain, Vincent, Haber/Moussa, O’Dea and Low.

In: Striker, keeper and CB.

We should Defo be looking at English non league players a la Motherwell.

1 hour ago, Girth said:

So who we ideally shipping out and shipping in in Jan chaps?

Ideally for me bin Bain, Vincent, Haber/Moussa, O’Dea and Low.

In: Striker, keeper and CB.

We should Defo be looking at English non league players a la Motherwell.

In fairness we've largely binned the non-league market this season.

Of the players still in the first team you're looking at these being the players we brought in from non-league:
Moult (Wrexham)
Bowman (Gateshead)
Frear (Forest Green)
Tait (Grimsby)

The signings this season (key and otherwise) have all been from sides who were League 1/League 2 last season (or above):
Hartley (Bristol Rovers/Blackpool)
Carson (Hartlepool)
Rose (Coventry)
Kipré (Leicester u23s) 
Dunne (Oldham)
Tanner (Plymouth on loan from Reading)
Bigrimana (Coventry)
Grimshaw (Preston North End)
Newell (Bolton u23s)
Petravicius (Zaglelie Lubin)
Fisher (ICT)
Griffiths (Motherwell on loan from Everton - signing made permanent)
Plummer (Man City u23s)

That market is also obscenely hit and miss. We took Graham Cummins from League Two, he scored and assisted about twenty goals in his first six months and has two goals in the next eighteen..

Scott Bain, Elliott Parish, Kevin Holt, Julen Etxabeguren, Josh Meekings (Option of another year), Kostadin Gadzhalov, Nicky Low, Paul McGowan, Jesse Curran, Lewis Spence are all able to speak to other clubs as of the end of this month.

Few of our most important players head into their last 18 months as well such as Cammy, Kamara, Hendry and Waddell.

Would like to see some business done soon.

Hopefully we can offload Bain, Low, Etxabeguren/Gadzhalov ( :( ) in January as far as the OOC players go. Hopefully we can get James Vincent off the books as well. I'd be taking up the option on Meekings and offering McGowan a new deal.

Curran, Spence, Parish and Holt have until the end of the season to force the club into offering them a new deal and I certainly wouldn't be rushing into it.

Spanish Jon is in the last month of his contract, I expect that to be extended until the end of the season.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That market is also obscenely hit and miss. We took Graham Cummins from League Two, he scored and assisted about twenty goals in his first six months and has two goals in the next eighteen..

Has Tommy Wright actually signed a single decent striker in his time with you though?

I wonder if it would be worth (now that Allan is fit) giving Deacon a shot up front. I'm pretty sure that's his preferred position, and it's where he played most of his games for Sutton. 

I wonder if it would be worth (now that Allan is fit) giving Deacon a shot up front. I'm pretty sure that's his preferred position, and it's where he played most of his games for Sutton. 

Hard to tell but wasn't thrilled with him there before. Think he maybe gets to play football at the pace he wants out wide and throw full backs over with his oddly shaped arse and he doesn't find that space inside.

I imagine there will be a load of trialists to get the right fit of player he wants.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Agreed. Bringing it back to Dundee (as it's their thread after all), McCann banging on about their lack of a scouting system when he arrived is pretty key IMO. I know he was saying he put in hours bringing players in but given he spent ages deciding whether he'd actually take the job, decided he wouldn't, then decided he would means that realistically he can't have had time to look properly at players. I know Hartley wanted to do everything himself but I always found the sheer number of signings Hartley seemed to make then discard really weird.

If you're looking at that sort of market (ie: English Lower Leagues and National League) I think you really need to scout the absolute f**k out them. Last season we ended up with absolute duds like Jacob Blyth, Craig Clay, Lee Lucas, Luka Belic etc because in hindsight is seems McGhee was just telling our Head of Recruitment roughly what he was after then picking from a list of names saying "he sounds alright" and maybe watching the odd video. In the case of Clay he appeared on trial seemingly because he was/is Richard Tait's pal and was looking for a club after his release by Grimsby. 

The difference this season is that while we've still been shopping in the same market as we have been the past couple of years Robinson's known what type of players he was after. From listening to Alan Burrows talk about the recruitment process during the summer it sounds like Robinson had been travelling to watch players and putting in the miles and hours so he knew what he was getting. Which has been a massive improvement.

Robinson and Craigan worked with Carson in the N.I set-up, Robinson worked with Dunne at Oldham, though Rose and Bigrimana were relegated with Coventry they also won the EFL Trophy at Wembly. We'd already been in for Peter Hartley before. Tanner played with McHugh at Plymouth. So on and so forth. We've taken a couple of punts but for the most part we've brought in players who the staff have had a prior working relationship with or have watched throughly.

Speaking purely from the outside looking in it'd be interesting to know how much McCann's changed the scouting network at Dens or whether he's just got the club to buy a subscription to Wyscout and Scout7.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Scott Bain, Elliott Parish, Kevin Holt, Julen Etxabeguren, Josh Meekings (Option of another year), Kostadin Gadzhalov, Nicky Low, Paul McGowan, Jesse Curran, Lewis Spence are all able to speak to other clubs as of the end of this month.

Few of our most important players head into their last 18 months as well such as Cammy, Kamara, Hendry and Waddell.

Would like to see some business done soon.

Hopefully we can offload Bain, Low, Etxabeguren/Gadzhalov ( :( ) in January as far as the OOC players go. Hopefully we can get James Vincent off the books as well. I'd be taking up the option on Meekings and offering McGowan a new deal.

Curran, Spence, Parish and Holt have until the end of the season to force the club into offering them a new deal and I certainly wouldn't be rushing into it.

Spanish Jon is in the last month of his contract, I expect that to be extended until the end of the season.

Arbroath look like they may get promoted this season.  Bain’s agent should be on the phone to their chairman as soon as possible. Obviously with the promise Bain won’t fall out with his 3rd manager in a row!

Arbroath look like they may get promoted this season.  Bain’s agent should be on the phone to their chairman as soon as possible. Obviously with the promise Bain won’t fall out with his 3rd manager in a row!

Good plan. Big Rab can wrap his puss.

Agreed. Bringing it back to Dundee (as it's their thread after all), McCann banging on about their lack of a scouting system when he arrived is pretty key IMO. I know he was saying he put in hours bringing players in but given he spent ages deciding whether he'd actually take the job, decided he wouldn't, then decided he would means that realistically he can't have had time to look properly at players. I know Hartley wanted to do everything himself but I always found the sheer number of signings Hartley seemed to make then discard really weird.
If you're looking at that sort of market (ie: English Lower Leagues and National League) I think you really need to scout the absolute f**k out them. Last season we ended up with absolute duds like Jacob Blyth, Craig Clay, Lee Lucas, Luka Belic etc because in hindsight is seems McGhee was just telling our Head of Recruitment roughly what he was after then picking from a list of names saying "he sounds alright" and maybe watching the odd video. In the case of Clay he appeared on trial seemingly because he was/is Richard Tait's pal and was looking for a club after his release by Grimsby. 
The difference this season is that while we've still been shopping in the same market as we have been the past couple of years Robinson's known what type of players he was after. From listening to Alan Burrows talk about the recruitment process during the summer it sounds like Robinson had been travelling to watch players and putting in the miles and hours so he knew what he was getting. Which has been a massive improvement.
Robinson and Craigan worked with Carson in the N.I set-up, Robinson worked with Dunne at Oldham, though Rose and Bigrimana were relegated with Coventry they also won the EFL Trophy at Wembly. We'd already been in for Peter Hartley before. Tanner played with McHugh at Plymouth. So on and so forth. We've taken a couple of punts but for the most part we've brought in players who the staff have had a prior working relationship with or have watched throughly.
Speaking purely from the outside looking in it'd be interesting to know how much McCann's changed the scouting network at Dens or whether he's just got the club to buy a subscription to Wyscout and Scout7.

I’m sure we were using Wyscout under Hartley. From McCann’s comments earlier in the season I don’t think he’s a fan of it.