All things Dundee FC

Motherwell and a couple of other sides apparently want O’Hara on pre-contract which means f**k all money...would be a shitter.

Can we flog ‘em Vincent instead!?

What position does O’Hara actually play? I know he started as a centre half (which we could do with) but mostly seems to have played as a midfielder any time I’ve seen Dundee (which is the last thing we need).

If it’s a pre-contract and he’s moving at the end of the season there’s a chance Andy Rose isn’t sticking around as he’s only on a 1 year deal or the plan is for Cadden to move south in the summer. Right now it’s not immediately obvious where O’Hara would fit in our side. Unless we played him as a centre half, in which case...sign him up.

1 hour ago, Girth said:

Motherwell and a couple of other sides apparently want O’Hara on pre-contract which means f**k all money...would be a shitter.

Can we flog ‘em Vincent instead!?

I very much doubt he'll be coming anywhere near us after playing for you lot.  Who are the othe rtclubs interested?

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

What position does O’Hara actually play? I know he started as a centre half (which we could do with) but mostly seems to have played as a midfielder any time I’ve seen Dundee (which is the last thing we need).

He's quoted as saying he prefers being in midfield, as opposed to a more attacking midfielder.

He still doesn't have a position nailed down AFAIK.

Just now, Louis Litt said:

He's quoted as saying he prefers being in midfield, as opposed to a more attacking midfielder.

He still doesn't have a position nailed down AFAIK.

Cheers.

Right now we've got a ton of central midfielders. Rose, McHugh, Bigirimana, Campbell, Cadden, Grimshaw, are all first team players who play in that area of the park. So as it stands a centre mid is the last thing we need. 

However, having said that, on the face of it O'Hara seems like a very Robinson sort of signing. He can apparently play a few positions, seems to be a strong runner who can get up and down the park and at 22 is still relatively young with quite a few first team games under his belt. Ticks quite a few boxes there.

Given the size of Dundee's squad I'd have thought McCann would be looking to trim it down as much as possible and move on a load of Hartley's signings. If the club haven't already been speaking to O'Hara about a new deal then it may well be the case that McCann's not that fussed either way whether he stays or goes. According to Robinson we've been speaking to our players about extensions since November so there's a fair chance we know what our players plans are. 

Also, IIRC Killie have a pretty hefty sell on % for him if he moves for a fee so in a practical sense then given it looks unlikely he'll be moving anywhere for a large fee it may not really matter too much to Dundee what happens with him. McCann may just be happy to free up a wage.

Cheers.
Right now we've got a ton of central midfielders. Rose, McHugh, Bigirimana, Campbell, Cadden, Grimshaw, are all first team players who play in that area of the park. So as it stands a centre mid is the last thing we need. 
However, having said that, on the face of it O'Hara seems like a very Robinson sort of signing. He can apparently play a few positions, seems to be a strong runner who can get up and down the park and at 22 is still relatively young with quite a few first team games under his belt. Ticks quite a few boxes there.
Given the size of Dundee's squad I'd have thought McCann would be looking to trim it down as much as possible and move on a load of Hartley's signings. If the club haven't already been speaking to O'Hara about a new deal then it may well be the case that McCann's not that fussed either way whether he stays or goes. According to Robinson we've been speaking to our players about extensions since November so there's a fair chance we know what our players plans are. 
Also, IIRC Killie have a pretty hefty sell on % for him if he moves for a fee so in a practical sense then given it looks unlikely he'll be moving anywhere for a large fee it may not really matter too much to Dundee what happens with him. McCann may just be happy to free up a wage.

Not seen much of Motherwell this season so not sure what style you guys play, but i addition to what's been said, he's also very competent playing RWB in a back 5. Strangely, though he's pish at RB in a back 4 and also pish at right wing.

8 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Not seen much of Motherwell this season so not sure what style you guys play, but i addition to what's been said, he's also very competent playing RWB in a back 5. Strangely, though he's pish at RB in a back 4 and also pish at right wing.

We've played with a back 3 with varying degrees of success. We bodied Aberdeen playing it in the LC game but both County and Thistle put 3 past us recently with us playing it.

Of late we've looked far more solid with a back 4 tbh.

Both Tait and Cadden are options in the RWB/RB position but seeing as we've used Tait at LWB while Frear's been out injured having someone else who can play  RWB (along with other positions) wouldn't be the worst thing.

Edited by capt_oats

Kilmarnock are only due a fee if we sell O'Hara in his initial contract. So if we didn't sell him by the end of the season and he stayed, they'd be due nothing.
I thought these deals are just general sell on clauses and not negated by new contracts. Can't find any literature to say either way though and just basing that on Football Manager.

I thought these deals are just general sell on clauses and not negated by new contracts. Can't find any literature to say either way though and just basing that on Football Manager.

It was mentioned at the time that'd only be over the 2 seasons. So that we couldn't get the 'development fee' basically. It's mentioned here but the wording of it isn't the best - I can't seem to find any other confirmation now that I'm checking though. https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/mark-ohara-freebie-cost-dundee/

I would like to see us offer ohara another couple of years tbh. Over the past few games he seems to be becoming the box to box midfielder we all wanted him to be.  He's still only 22 so he's still gonna develop more and get better imo. Unless a certain laddie fae fintry called Charlie signs in January or the summer I think I could live with ohara moving on 

I’d be a bit annoyed if O’Hara left. He’s promising as a CM.

However, I understand McCann needs to move a couple of players on and ideally get money for ‘em.

Could be he has 2/3 potential additions he’s eyeing up for Jan. I’m thinking GK, CM and ST.

Bain, couple of defenders, striker, Wolters and Vincent are those he should be punting.

Thank you.