All things Dundee FC

What's everyone's thoughts on McCann now? I know the consensus was pretty split on here a couple of months ago, just wondered if anyone has changed their mind or still a bit unsure on him.

I still think he's definitely the man for the job and if given the time will turn us into a much better team.

I’m quite confident that McCann will keep us up, provided we don’t get plundered during the window!

Got to remember only been a manager for 5 months,pass marks from me.He comes across as a very clever headstrong person who's learning all the time plus nobody can question his commitment to bettering our club.

Be interesting to see how this transfer window goes,I've total confidence in Neil to consolidate our place in the top league and go from strength to strength. 

If we sign the Spanish lad then holt would be good as back up.

What is a successful season ? For me anything below 9th I'd be disappointed.
Plenty players have came n gone with more coming in than leaving . We shouldn't be fighting for relegation

Think we've got enough about us to finish higher than 9th. I said a while back I'd take 10th but now I would also be disappointed to finish 9th or below. We really should be looking to finish top of the bottom 6 worst case.

Hope we can hang onto Spanish Jon. Awesome news that we've offloaded Bain.

I know striker is priority, but should we give Gourlay/Ferrie a chance if Parish gets injured or address that situation immediately as well? Gourlay has half a seasons experience at Clyde and it's generally unlikely we'd lose Parish to injury. Is it a necessary expenditure?
I'd be furious if we didn't sign another 'keeper at a reasonable level. Bad injury and then we could be throwing a young guy into a high pressure situation and jeopardising our league status. It's completely different to blooding outfielders IMO.

I'd be furious if we didn't sign another 'keeper at a reasonable level. Bad injury and then we could be throwing a young guy into a high pressure situation and jeopardising our league status. It's completely different to blooding outfielders IMO.

At what point does Gourlay/Ferrie get their chance though? If they're not good enough to be simple back-up, when will they be good enough for first team football? They're both 19 and giving one that little bit more responsibility wouldn't be the end of the world for me. If Parish was injured for an extended period, we could look to complete a loan deal at that point.

The good thing I'd say with McCann is that he has managed to address some really major issues and get us moving in the right direction. It seems the defensive errors from the first few months have been eradicated and he's working on getting a bit of flair in the team.

Hartley had some good runs and big moments but it never really felt like anything cohesive was being built.

What sort of keeper will want to come and sit on a bench ? Only one who wants to come here for either more money or is a youngster.
Parish is our number 1
Someone who wants to stake a claim. There will be loads of relatively young 'keepers from a higher level who will fancy their chances of competing with Parish. Parish has been good for us and doesn't deserve to be dropped but I think many would look at his career and fancy displacing them.

At what point does Gourlay/Ferrie get their chance though? If they're not good enough to be simple back-up, when will they be good enough for first team football? They're both 19 and giving one that little bit more responsibility wouldn't be the end of the world for me. If Parish was injured for an extended period, we could look to complete a loan deal at that point.
The fact that they haven't had a team on loan for a whole season concerns me a little. St Johnstone had Zander Clark on the books for a long time but earning a huge amount of experience on loan.

It's pretty rare for 'keepers to just break through without a few seasons of football. It does happen sometimes but the chances are that even if they're good, they'd really struggle. A mistake in that position is really costly and could be damaging to them as well. Zwick at United was a terrific youngster who just got thrown to the wolves IMO.

I'd want Ferrie or Gourlay to have at the very minimum one whole season of football for a lower league side before thinking of them as one of our two.

3 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

What's everyone's thoughts on McCann now? I know the consensus was pretty split on here a couple of months ago, just wondered if anyone has changed their mind or still a bit unsure on him.

I still think he's definitely the man for the job and if given the time will turn us into a much better team.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm still unsure. Massively warming to him, but I'm not convinced until we have some distance between us and the play-off spot.

One thing’s for sure.  If we’d kept Hartley there would be plenty of distance between us and the play-off spot.  A whole division to be precise.

McCann came in saying he’s got a certain way he wants the team to play.  He was determined to get the defence to pass the ball out from defence,  rather than the big punt up the park.  As was seen at St Johnstone the players are looking far more comfortable with this now and it’s beginning to pay dividends. 

He’s clearly not scared to completely drop established big name players from the team when he thinks it’s necessary, Bain being the prime example.

Seems to have, in the main, replaced existing players with better players.  Meekings  > O’Dea.  Hendry > Julen. Jon > Holt.  Kamara >  Vincent / Ross / Hately combined!

The one big issue McCann hasn’t addressed successfully is the strikers. I think we all agree Moussa and AJ are not good enough.  

If McCann is able to bring in a half decent striker I think we should have a very good second half to the season.

The good thing I'd say with McCann is that he has managed to address some really major issues and get us moving in the right direction. It seems the defensive errors from the first few months have been eradicated and he's working on getting a bit of flair in the team.

Hartley had some good runs and big moments but it never really felt like anything cohesive was being built.

Totally agree with you Harry re cohesion.
I think NM has done a pretty decent job.
Parish, Meekings, Hendry, Jon, Kamara and Deacon are all better than the players they replaced. Young Spence also looks like he might make it. It’s really only Wolters and Moussa that have disappointed.

Totally agree with you Harry re cohesion.
I think NM has done a pretty decent job.
Parish, Meekings, Hendry, Jon, Kamara and Deacon are all better than the players they replaced. Young Spence also looks like he might make it. It’s really only Wolters and Moussa that have disappointed.

Wolters has been back in Holland for an extended period (His missus having a child) but it's been a week or 2. And in one of his Dutch articles, he's admitted he's fell out with McCann.

I'd hope we can get him off the wage bill this month. Shouldn't be too hard to deal with, he's got a semi-decent reputation in Dutch football and he seems desperate to return so hopefully we can have another bit of cash to play with there.

Wolters has been back in Holland for an extended period (His missus having a child) but it's been a week or 2. And in one of his Dutch articles, he's admitted he's fell out with McCann.

I'd hope we can get him off the wage bill this month. Shouldn't be too hard to deal with, he's got a semi-decent reputation in Dutch football and he seems desperate to return so hopefully we can have another bit of cash to play with there.

Yes. I was hoping that too.

So maybe just Moussa - I honestly think he’s worth than Jordi.

The Sun saying we won't accept anything less than £1.5million for Hendry.
Do you think that would be an up front fee? Or in installments?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:
2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:
The Sun saying we won't accept anything less than £1.5million for Hendry.

Do you think that would be an up front fee? Or in installments?

I don't think it's realistic for a start, but it's nice to see that sort of figure being touted.

I don't think it's realistic for a start

I don't see why not. We got ~£1.2m from May and, really, he only had one good top flight season. Can argue a good young centre half is harder to find these days.