All things Dundee FC

Not a great deal to get excited about but hopefully the new centre half’s are solid. Caulker was ok, but not outstanding and Meekings has looked a total bombscare. 3 at the back with Curran and Miller © at wing back might just give us a bit of creativity and Kenny can bang them in, he said more in hope than expectation.

The alleged Caulker bid was very much like the alleged multi billion offers for Morelos at Ibrox.  There was a risk when we brought him in due to all his personal issues and I dont really bite at the claims someone was prepared to spend millions on such a risk. Says everything that he has walked with no apparent club move pending. 

27 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

The alleged Caulker bid was very much like the alleged multi billion offers for Morelos at Ibrox.  There was a risk when we brought him in due to all his personal issues and I dont really bite at the claims someone was prepared to spend millions on such a risk. Says everything that he has walked with no apparent club move pending. 

Also seven figure bid or no he is first and foremost a human being. If he didn't want to go to Scandanavia we should definitely not have been trying to persuade him. I hope and trust we weren't.

Not saying you are doing this in your post but I personally think the rhetoric that seeks to define football - and in fact a lot of other things - as business, has gone far too far. Football needs to be solvent but it is first and foremost about people. Supporters and players, sweat, hopes and dreams. 

It's a shame it hasn't worked out but I think the club has handled itself well in this. Proud we were willing to take him on and really hope he gets well soon.

Players are not commodities, they are people.

Edited by The Algebraist

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Not a great deal to get excited about but hopefully the new centre half’s are solid. Caulker was ok, but not outstanding and Meekings has looked a total bombscare. 3 at the back with Curran and Miller © at wing back might just give us a bit of creativity and Kenny can bang them in, he said more in hope than expectation.

I would like to see you playing Miller behind the young boy, I think the boy looks like he's got it in both feet and Kenny could provide the brains for a wee while.

Im sad about Caulker leaving, not for the club but for the player.

He was taken on to help his football career get back on track and to hopefully help his mental health issues, which he has stated he has had problems with alcoholism, gambling and depression leading to suicidal thoughts.

If he has left in a better mental state with a brighter out look on life then his time here was a complete success.

If not, then I hope he continues to get the help he needs.

Either way, I wish the guy well and continues on the road to recovery. 

Edited by johnnydun

We apparently had 2 separate bids for Shankland rejected yesterday and were close to coming to an agreement but we refused to pay the full whack and the clauses we added weren't enough to tempt Ayr.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of close tbf. You can be close, and still have it rejected.

If you didn't offer to hand us £250k you weren't close, an offer of a £500 a week direct debit doesn't count given your past failings.

Just now, ayrmad said:

If you didn't offer to hand us £250k you weren't close, an offer of a £500 a week direct debit doesn't count given your past failings.

We'll just snap him up on a free come January with a PCA tbh.

Thanks.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

We'll just snap him up on a free come January with a PCA tbh.

Thanks.

I think he'll be looking to do that with someone better in January if that's his thing, I'm not interested in getting anything for him as long as I get to watch him for the season.

Just now, ayrmad said:

I think he'll be looking to do that with someone better in January if that's his thing, I'm not interested in getting anything for him as long as I get to watch him for the season.

Highly doubt there'll be much better on offer considering he plays for such a diddy club. Hearts or Hibs... at a push IMO.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Highly doubt there'll be much better on offer considering he plays for such a diddy club. Hearts or Hibs... at a push IMO.

He already had the opportunity to go to Hearts for nowt in this window and chose to stay at Ayr, I'd expect them to back for him if he's what they need.

11 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Your club were willing to accept installments if the total deal was worth up to £300k, as long as there was a sell on clause. Dundee were the only club who offered over £100k up front. 

Your club painted itself into a corner with the chat about £250k up front and nobody had any interest in going that high. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your club were willing to accept installments if the total deal was worth up to £300k, as long as there was a sell on clause. Dundee were the only club who offered over £100k up front. 

Your club painted itself into a corner with the chat about £250k up front and nobody had any interest in going that high. 

Aye and the fans painted them into that corner, the fans want Ayr to take a punt, the board have obliged us.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Aye and the fans painted them into that corner, the fans want Ayr to take a punt, the board have obliged us.

Fans are blinded by heroes. Shankland will be fine for a season, but then you're trying to replace him next Summer for nothing. Imagine what £200k could've done to your squad? 

Long term progression stunted.