All things Dundee FC

26 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I think he'll be looking to do that with someone better in January if that's his thing, I'm not interested in getting anything for him as long as I get to watch him for the season.

There was hardly a line of clubs queuing to snap him up. was there? 

He'll either kick on and attract bigger and better than Dundee, or go off the boil and stick where he is.  I think it's what is called a lose-lose for you guys.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fans are blinded by heroes. Shankland will be fine for a season, but then you're trying to replace him next Summer for nothing. Imagine what £200k could've done to your squad? 

Long term progression stunted. 

Imagine what could have happened if they got dragged into a relegation battle though, their full-time status would be at risk. It's very easy to look at all the different possibilities (for all we know, he might tear his acl today) but I think the probability that he gets 15 goals a season is relatively strong. To put that into perspective, there is only one side I can find in the last 10 years who has had a scorer in that prolific territory who have had any hint at danger and that was a much much poorer Cowdenbeath team who had the unreal (for that level) partnership of Stewart and Hemmings in the team. Generally, if you've got a forward who scores as many as 15, your side are almost always in the play-off contention at the other end of the park and this is a relationship which has correlated itself with teams finishing 5th or above in 8 out of the 10 previous seasons.

Money wise, excluding potential revenue if his contribution (again) nets a lucrative cup tie; the difference between 4th-9th in the table is around £100k in prize money. They could have taken the money with the view of signing a competent replacement but that's a challenge in itself (especially at this stage) and there are extra wages to factor in when they inevitably f**k up their first attempt and sign an additional player. Transfers are all about risk management and I don't really think that putting a figure of £250k on him is really that unreasonable.

On a general note, I know it's very easy to see clubs get a bit carried away with their ridiculous hype and I'm certainly one who is guilty of it but I think that Ayr do have a side which is capable of finishing in the play-offs at the top end of the table. Very well drilled side and I really don't think they are going to lose many goals.

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fans are blinded by heroes. Shankland will be fine for a season, but then you're trying to replace him next Summer for nothing. Imagine what £200k could've done to your squad? 

Long term progression stunted. 

I know what punting him for a pittance would have done, we're trying to turnaround long term regression, you don't do that by pissing of most of the fans.

We've already had a great season out of Lawrence, looks like we might be getting 2, happy days.

There was hardly a line of clubs queuing to snap him up. was there? 
He'll either kick on and attract bigger and better than Dundee, or go off the boil and stick where he is.  I think it's what is called a lose-lose for you guys.
Lose lose?

Don't be ridiculous.

We've kept the best striker our club has had in a generation.

Who knows what's next for him but unless things go horrible we're going to be in this league next season. The fans are happy and we're building something decent. Ayr are not a one man team and shankland staying will increase the confidence of the team as a whole.

Far too many football fans (at all levels) focus too much on the finances and forget about the actual football. You won't find a single Ayr fan that is gutted we didn't take the money. Not one.

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Will try again. 200 thousand is a pittance for Ayr United football club? The board have decided they don't need 200 thousand. They don't feel 200 thousand will help them out. Especially I presume they got the player for nothing?

Let's hope these fans who clearly know the finances of Ayr don't change their opinion if you get relegated and Shankland goes for less or nothing.

We'll be fine, this team ain't getting relegated.

In all honesty, I couldn't give a rats arse about finances, youth,ladies, community etc if what's on the pitch is shite, it's on the pitch that counts.

Edited by ayrmad

5 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

Kamara better be going thru a life saving operation right now...why the f**k is he not in the squad....hope he's not in the huff due to still being a Dundee player.

DFC twitter saying Kamara and Ralph are both out injured apparently.

I'd still rather we put Calvin out on the left rather than hang Cammy out to dry again playing out of position.

DFC twitter saying Kamara and Ralph are both out injured apparently.

I'd still rather we put Calvin out on the left rather than hang Cammy out to dry again playing out of position.
Cammy was superb against Cadden in the last game. Limited him to nothing with Motherwell creating nothing and then Parish threw one into his ney