All things Dundee FC

1 minute ago, Crawford said:

St Johnstone and United fans (even that weird Airdrie fella), completely obsessed with all things Dundee FC. 

Can't stay away. We are an accepting bunch you know. If you just dig deep and admit to yourselves you love the Dee, your lives will drastically improve.

It's okay. We are here for you.

Dab in the work said it was the biggest cheer at Tannadice on Saturday in a long time when Motherwell scored their 4th. Cute. 

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

Dab in the work said it was the biggest cheer at Tannadice on Saturday in a long time when Motherwell scored their 4th. Cute. 

Granny Danger came on to the (Dundee) match thread to say as much. 

Husbands, wives and children all huddled around their wireless' and on Livescore watching the Dundee score whilst their own club are literally playing right in front of them.

Yuptae, sassij's.

12 minutes ago, Dele said:

Granny Danger came on to the (Dundee) match thread to say as much. 

Husbands, wives and children all huddled around their wireless' and on Livescore watching the Dundee score whilst their own club are literally playing right in front of them.

Yuptae, sassij's.

giphy (42).gif

24 minutes ago, Crawford said:

St Johnstone and United fans (even that weird Airdrie fella), completely obsessed with all things Dundee FC. 

Can't stay away. We are an accepting bunch you know. If you just dig deep and admit to yourselves you love the Dee, your lives will drastically improve.

It's okay. We are here for you.

Good evening.

Crawford's post above has saved me a little time this evening, very much appreciated.

Not quite sure what RandomGuy is saying/referring to in previous posts. 

However the next time I'm called to Farmer McDiarmid's generously donated plot of land I'll have to consider in my refreshed Risk Assessment to include my best on-site rigger boots,  just in case any Randoms lurking in the shadows. Lol. 

Anyway, on a more sensible note, very interesting to see the differing opinions in response to today's Dens Park press release. 

Best Regards.

Good statement at a good time IMO. 
Allaying fans fears of them pulling the plug due to rumours, updating on the stadium - as they don't have to do it every 5 minutes ffs - and saying in not so many words that McIntyre is getting the bullet. 
WTF do fans want? They moan about lack of communication from the board, then get a lengthy statement and complain about it. What did people actually want to read that would've made them happy? 
It's easy to stick the boot in but credit where it's due IMO.

I agree. I’ve followed Dundee for nearly 40 years, through the bad times and the really shite times and we’ve always been a yo-yo club. Providing the club survives I don’t actually mind us going down. It’s a great relief that FPS are hanging around and the stadium is still on track. Moving to the Caird Park complexing is very exciting in itself, a massive step forward. When we eventually get promoted it’s one of those rare, truly joyous feelings you get being a Dundee supporter. Hanging on at Dens whilst the Morten players look forward to blowing their bung on a back of ching. The relief then that warm feeling at the final whistle. Everyone dancing, singing Bob Marley songs.

Hopefully McIntyre gets fucked off and we get Ian McCall in. He’s done his bit at Ayr but it’s time to come home Ian.

Guess I’m just cynical but I’m in the bullshit camp with regards to the statement. Some of it is odd, especially when talking about the youths when so many have just been told their being released! A lot of it is a lesson in saying what you think your public want to hear and again the cynic or rather worldly wise side of me is seeing right through it. He also uses the word ‘we’ an awful lot in the section on choosing managers, is that deflection, the royal ‘we’ or does anyone on here have concrete evidence that there is more than John Nelms involved in this process? 

48 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I agree. I’ve followed Dundee for nearly 40 years, through the bad times and the really shite times and we’ve always been a yo-yo club. Providing the club survives I don’t actually mind us going down. 

Last week someone on Twitter, might have been Craigkillie, shared an image from the start of the 98/99 season from a newspaper which had one of those "fan prediction for the season" type articles in it for the old Division 1 and I was quite surprised to learn at that point that the longest Dundee had ever spent out the top division was 4 years.

22 minutes ago, ravabelli said:

Guess I’m just cynical but I’m in the bullshit camp with regards to the statement. Some of it is odd, especially when talking about the youths when so many have just been told their being released! A lot of it is a lesson in saying what you think your public want to hear and again the cynic or rather worldly wise side of me is seeing right through it. He also uses the word ‘we’ an awful lot in the section on choosing managers, is that deflection, the royal ‘we’ or does anyone on here have concrete evidence that there is more than John Nelms involved in this process? 

I think the youths they’re talking about are from 16 and under. That’s the 1st age group to come through the youth system under their tenure. 

Speaking to an ex pro recently who played up here and down south, he said that the youth set up is very professionally run now and has caught up and gone past Yenited’s fabled youth set up.

Apparently we’ve taken a few players from them and Premier league teams this season and we’ve also got some coaches from Yenited after their American owner cleared the decks and started handing under age coaching to his colleague’s son, think his name is something along the lines of Ashgar. 

The guy’s making a bit of an impression and hopefully kick on next season appear to be Mulligan, Cameron and Robertson amongst others. 

Edited by Yenitit

13 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Last week someone on Twitter, might have been Craigkillie, shared an image from the start of the 98/99 season from a newspaper which had one of those "fan prediction for the season" type articles in it for the old Division 1 and I was quite surprised to learn at that point that the longest Dundee had ever spent out the top division was 4 years.

This season was something like our 97th year in the top flight, oh and our worst!

Is it not the intent of the owners to still ultimately own the stadium and the surrounding properties into the future even if they leave as the main financial benefactors of the club? So we will still need to pay them rent and what not afterwards ? Although I still believe the stadium can be positive for the club itself it still feels like something of an impending financial doom no matter the circumstances.

Been pondering over this for weeks but if Cammy Kerr is to leave the club I'm hoping he is snapped up by someone in the ilk of St Johnstone or Livingstone where he will be able to flourish without mounting the pressure of being the only homegrown talent within a team that is currently in disarray. If his negative traits are straightened out I'm positive he could be a dependable defender in the Premiership for many years to come.

Although I felt like the statement in all was heartening - the lack of attempting to even see their failings in placing all footballing decisions in the hands of transient and ever changing managers is a wee bit disappointing. Surely now they should realise they should implement a DOF to ensure there is some continuity in place rather than contracts being handed out to pals (Lewis Spence, Martin Woods and Andrew Davies) and a disarming short sightedness in player recruitment.

14 minutes ago, Raise High The Roof Beams said:

Is it not the intent of the owners to still ultimately own the stadium and the surrounding properties into the future even if they leave as the main financial benefactors of the club? So we will still need to pay them rent and what not afterwards ? Although I still believe the stadium can be positive for the club itself it still feels like something of an impending financial doom no matter the circumstances.

Been pondering over this for weeks but if Cammy Kerr is to leave the club I'm hoping he is snapped up by someone in the ilk of St Johnstone or Livingstone where he will be able to flourish without mounting the pressure of being the only homegrown talent within a team that is currently in disarray. If his negative traits are straightened out I'm positive he could be a dependable defender in the Premiership for many years to come.

Although I felt like the statement in all was heartening - the lack of attempting to even see their failings in placing all footballing decisions in the hands of transient and ever changing managers is a wee bit disappointing. Surely now they should realise they should implement a DOF to ensure there is some continuity in place rather than contracts being handed out to pals (Lewis Spence, Martin Woods and Andrew Davies) and a disarming short sightedness in player recruitment.

It's all about revenue streaming.

At the moment we pay for both the repairs and upkeep at Dens PLUS the actual rent.

The new stadium would be owned by DBPH, a separate entity to the club but owned by Keyes. We would pay rent to DBPH, which would in turn pay upkeep to the people that own the stadium, who re invest or pocket the cash. They aren't losing as money as they are paying themselves instead of a landlord.

They stated the properties would be made available to "local housing stock". I think that means the council would ensure income at a reduced rate. No chasing people for money.

They talked at great length about renewables from the ice arena. I think the top of the stadium on one side was to be solar panels and they were going to use heat waste from the cooling units at the Ice arena for the pitch.

It was also annexed to the ice arena and a curling rink (DCC owned) there too.

Council crematorium (boring myself to death on this one) is a big deal for them too so benefits local authority more.

The training pitches were available for lease too they said and of course there is the actual stadium itself for hire.

They made it very clear that it wasn't solely for Dundee FC but that it would offset a lot of the financial costs and, obviously benefit the owners. They have every right to earn that dosh back they have invested and this would keep everyone happy.

It benefits the owners and the council for it to happen.

Plus it would be easier to attract better talent to the club with having our own facilities that using the quagmire down by the airport.

I'm normally sceptical of this kind of "it benefits everyone" thing because it always benefits one party more than the other, but I actually believe this will be a great thing for the club.

Edit - TL;DR it keeps the money with the owners.

Edited by Crawford

Ah lovely cheers for that - was not too well read on the true economic capabilities of the site itself and how it would help both parties with its development.

Lots of folk seemed to be weighed down by the fact they have not bought back Dens as was said in initial dealings with FPS but clearly in future generations the club can only benefit from this rather than stagnate and waste even more cash attempting to fix the dilapidated state  it was in.

On a more minor note quite looking forward to the Macron kits - always like what they've offered up for Hibs and find the Puma kits slightly too tight fitting alongside their cookie cutter aesthetic. Brings me back to the abomination of that red kit they wore for the Man City friendly and seeing our good ol pal Gary Harkins in one.

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Under 16 team 7 players have been kept from a squad of 21. Only reason I know this is because mates young lad was one has he has now dropped back to 16s as 17s are no more and because of year he was born.
The squad underneath that I'm unsure however could find out more tonight.

The boys you have mentioned are these the ones who are at St.Johns ?
Mates young lad was also a player from United who came to Dundee however this wasnt this season, was few seasons ago.

Youth is the future. So are we pretty much 3/4 years off potentially bringing players in to first team ?

I’d imagine the 7 players kept from the under 16s are the ones who are to go full time at the club and the rest have unfortunately been deemed not good enough. 

Not sure about what the age groups are but it’s usually under 16s then onto 18s. I’m probably out of touch with it right enough but I think the club also had players playing above their age groups,  like what your mates son appears to have been doing. 

Read elsewhere that we’d signed players from Yenited, Aberdeen, Celtic and I think the other one was St Johnstone. The guy Wattie Rojas on other sites and twitter is usually good for this sort of info. Don’t know what age groups they are though. The DundeeFC Academy twitter account gives a bit of information out about who they’ve signed at all age groups and it now appears we’re signing youngsters from across at least the east coast and central Scotland instead of just the Dundee area. 

If youngsters are going to make the grade I’d be expecting the more attacking players to feature in the squad from the age of 18 with the more defensive guys a couple of years further behind. Youth should’ve always been high on the priority list of the club. The sooner we have a good standard coming through to supplement the 1st team squad the better, especially for keeping the wage bill down. 

Edited by Yenitit

9 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I’d imagine the 7 players kept from the under 16s are the ones who are to go full time at the club and the rest have unfortunately been deemed not good enough. 

Not sure about what the age groups are but it’s usually under 16s then onto 18s. I’m probably out of touch with it right enough but I think the club also had players playing above their age groups like what your mates son appears to be. 

Read elsewhere that we’d signed players from Yenited, Aberdeen, Celtic and I think the other one was St Johnstone. The guy Wattie Rojas on other sites and twitter is usually good for this sort of info. Don’t know what age groups they are though. The DundeeFC Academy twitter account gives a bit of information out about who they’ve signed at all age groups and appears we’re signing youngsters from across at least the east coast of Scotland instead of just the Dundee area. 

If youngsters are going to make the grade I’d be expecting the more attacking players to feature in the squad from the age of 18 with the more defensive guys a couple of years further behind. Youth should’ve always been high on the priority list of the club. The sooner we have a good standard coming through to supplement the 1st team squad the better, especially for keeping the wage bill down. 

I saw @G_Man1985's post earlier and meant to mention this. Just as a comparison @AndyRoss actually did a Q&A with Mo Ross who is heading up our 18s-21s now for the programme against your lot on Saturday he covers that kind of thing in the interview.

The full thing is here but a couple of points related to what you guys seem to be hinting at are below.

Having a pathway into the first team is a topic that comes up a lot, how do you ensure that the best young talent at Motherwell progress?

“We’ve got A Licence coaches all the way through the academy, but they come on my radar on average at the age of 16. I promote all my best 18s into my 20s.I don’t sign players just to play 20s football, which was the format before. They are fast tracked as long as they are physically and emotionally ready. When I was 16 I played in the reserves at Rangers and it showed me what the standard was. I’m looking to get to get two or three boys into the first team every cycle which is every two years, guys that we can keep in the first team or sell on which is our business model.”

Does that filter down into the other age groups at the club?

“What happens now is the best 16s then fill into the 18s and that means the club is moving at a faster pace. If we get beaten 1-0 but we have three players that could feature in the first team squad in 18 months, then that’s an 18 month process I’m willing to do at the risk of losing a game. As long as it’s to the benefit to Motherwell in the long run then that’s the main thing.”

Edited by capt_oats