All things Dundee FC

If you guys out there have time on your hands, read the Wikipedia Mark McGhee entry and count the occasions of assistance in his management career from Gordon Strachan (longtime friend and former teammate).

I read about his outburst prior to our defeat today regarding us Dundee followers as being 'underwhelmed' by his appointment. This is one dude who really needs to keep his misplaced high professional opinion of himself in check and also maybe take the time to read about our club history before name-checking some of his previous employers in comparison.

On the 6th of November 2010 he set a new humiliating Aberdeen record defeat of 9-0 to Celtic, for which he did not apologise for the performance, having previously stated to the press, "Go and look me up on Wikipedia, I've got a track record". FFS, he was the second least successful Aberdeen manager in their history.

This is one guy who couldn't give a monkeys chuff about our club or it's followers opinions and is here only for an unexpected short-term paycheck at the age of 64, courtesy of his longtime friend and former teammate Gordon Strachan.

On a more positive note, why are all and sundry ignoring Jack Ross for any current managerial vacancies, ourselves included. Does he indeed have some financial clause inserted upon him on leaving Hibernian late last year preventing him being in direct competition this season? He was after all contracted until the Summer of 2024 at Easter Road. Here's hoping and dreaming, eh? 

Concerned regards. 

1 minute ago, This Charming Man said:

If you guys out there have time on your hands, read the Wikipedia Mark McGhee entry and count the occasions of assistance in his management career from Gordon Strachan (longtime friend and former teammate).

I read about his outburst prior to our defeat today regarding us Dundee followers as being 'underwhelmed' by his appointment. This is one dude who really needs to keep his misplaced high professional opinion of himself in check and also maybe take the time to read about our club history before name-checking some of his previous employers in comparison.

On the 6th of November 2010 he set a new humiliating Aberdeen record defeat of 9-0 to Celtic, for which he did not apologise for the performance, having previously stated to the press, "Go and look me up on Wikipedia, I've got a track record". FFS, he was the second least successful Aberdeen manager in their history.

This is one guy who couldn't give a monkeys chuff about our club or it's followers opinions and is here only for an unexpected short-term paycheck at the age of 64, courtesy of his longtime friend and former teammate Gordon Strachan.

On a more positive note, why are all and sundry ignoring Jack Ross for any current managerial vacancies, ourselves included. Does he indeed have some financial clause inserted upon him on leaving Hibernian late last year preventing him being in direct competition this season? He was after all contracted until the Summer of 2024 at Easter Road. Here's hoping and dreaming, eh? 

Concerned regards. 

tbf to him he got a positive reaction from the players today...like folk have said before hes no mates at the club and i think he'll not hesitate to drop any fucker whos not performing.

17 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

tbf to him he got a positive reaction from the players today...like folk have said before hes no mates at the club and i think he'll not hesitate to drop any fucker whos not performing.

With all due respect, no mates at the club except Gordon Strachan, hence the reason he's here in the first place when his useful managerial career apparently ended five seasons ago at Barnet in English League Two for goodness sake. 

Unless John Nelms' has Jack Ross or someone of his calibre lined up in the very near future, we are having the piss taken from us all whilst applauding like seals and hoping for the best.

However as always, only time will tell.

Merely my opinion.

Looks like I've got a case of egg on the face after my shouts of giving Lawlor a go in the sticks. I was hoping that after Hearts and his shaky start he might've gained confidence but I reckon he was at fault for the first two goals with Fontaine shouldering the blame for the winner. So with the keepers we have Legzdins has my vote of confidence (as much as that counts for) as he seems to be at fault for a goal every few games rather than one every game.

Decided to bide my time before weighing in on McGhee's appointment - the input from Motherwell fans who give him credit for turning them round might ease a bit of the underwhelming reception he's received. It's likely going to be one of either a masterstroke and he takes us up the league or a complete disaster and we sink like a lead balloon, so f**k it I'm going all in with it. Hopefully he provides a few laughs along the way whichever way it goes.

One thing is for certain and it's echoing near enough all Dundee fans' thoughts: Nelms is extremely incompetent.

25 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

With all due respect, no mates at the club except Gordon Strachan, hence the reason he's here in the first place when his useful managerial career apparently ended five seasons ago at Barnet in English League Two for goodness sake. 

Unless John Nelms' has Jack Ross or someone of his calibre lined up in the very near future, we are having the piss taken from us all whilst applauding like seals and hoping for the best.

However as always, only time will tell.

Merely my opinion.

Out of character for the charming man to be an angry man! Initial impression is we done far, far better than we would’ve under McPake. Organised in and out of possession plus tactical changes during the game you can 100% get your head around. The 1st 2 subbies made a very positive outcome on the game the Fontaine one not so much but I can definitely see what his thinking was. I presume Chapman is shite as he would’ve been my choice of change for Anderson if he’s a similar standard of player as Max. I think he speaks well, maybe after 3 years of drolling from McPake it’s no surprise. I’m up for giving McGhee a go. A back 5 of Daley-Campbell, Rossi, McGhee, Sweeney and Kerr look a decent block to build on. 

Don’t suppose anyone actually knows what kind of injury ledzgins has as that’s about 2/3 weeks he’s been out?

also how shite is sharp if lawlor(2 year deal) gets the nod ahead of him or am I being harsh?

46 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Out of character for the charming man to be an angry man! Initial impression is we done far, far better than we would’ve under McPake. 

Crikey @Yenitit, never an angry man these days, always constantly strive to be positive, albeit not always charming apparently, lol.

Always taken pride however when in business in smelling shite when it presents itself and this Mark McGhee appointment ticks all the boxes alarmingly I'm sorry to say.

I truly hope I'm wrong and in fairness it should not be too difficult to exceed a James McPake gameplan with over 900 games as a manager behind you even when your last gig was 5 years previously.

Hope we're successful in staying up, however this manager has to be very much temporary., imho.

Regards my man.

2 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Crikey @Yenitit, never an angry man these days, always constantly strive to be positive, albeit not always charming apparently, lol.

Always taken pride however when in business in smelling shite when it presents itself and this Mark McGhee appointment ticks all the boxes alarmingly I'm sorry to say.

I truly hope I'm wrong and in fairness it should not be too difficult to exceed a James McPake gameplan with over 900 games as a manager behind you even when your last gig was 5 years previously.

Hope we're successful in staying up, however this manager has to be very much temporary., imho.

Regards my man.

100% get where your coming from TCM but I do think McGhee is an improvement on McPake and, in the absence of JR or someone similar (no idea who) a punt worth taking.  As an example would McPake have dropped Adam for this one?  Personally, as I said before the match, I think it was the correct decision for this game.

To me, McPake appeared to be influenced in his team selections by who his mates in the team were.  Placing them in positions they didn’t suit, just to get them on the team sheet.  I just can see McGhee doing that.  I do think he really cares who he upsets, as long as it is for the good of Mark McGhee the team.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

To me, McPake appeared to be influenced in his team selections by who his mates in the team were.  Placing them in positions they didn’t suit, just to get them on the team sheet.  I just can see McGhee doing that.  I do think he really cares who he upsets, as long as it is for the good of Mark McGhee the team.

That’s it for me. 

13 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Concerned regards. 

Probably, he's also probably wanting silly money as well. Bearing in mind this was the guy that didn't have the tactical nous to out think Calum 'Clum' Davidson. Is he perhaps overrated?

Thank you.

40 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Probably, he's also probably wanting silly money as well. Bearing in mind this was the guy that didn't have the tactical nous to out think Calum 'Clum' Davidson. Is he perhaps overrated?

Thank you.

He is 100% and I've said so before. I really don't get the clamour for Ross from our fanbase. 

Was McGhee the best we could get? Absolutely not and I was slavering in anger when i first heard; when you match both up though Ross only has the benefit of youth and having achieved his merits most recently on his side. Is defeats in the latter stages of the cup really anything to shout about? Especially at a club like Hibs where it's demanded they are challenging.

Hibs fans weren't happy with displays in the season they finished third and  wanted him shown the door. It's upto people how much credit they want to give during a campaign where teams were decimated weekly with new covid cases.

Sunderland fans reaction is much like Stockports with McGhee whilst taking Motherwell to third from being tenth could be argued as better success than Ross had at St Mirren.

I would've been happier with Ross than McGhee but in my eyes we can still come up with a more creative appointment who can take us forward. Both are lazy.

For now I'm fully behind McGhee and Rusk. At least McGhee is a manager which can't be said for the last three of Nelms appointments.

Thank you.

My team for Wednesday:

Lawlor

Vontae Rossi  Sweeney Kerr

McGhee Byrne Anderson 

McGinn Rudden McCowan

Adam is carrying an injury, give him the full time to recover. Back line picks itself with only the keeper in question if Legzdins was to be fit. 

McGinn and McCowan both had an excellent impact on Sunday so i'd throw them straight in to start. I've got no problems with McMullen really but do feel he's a bit lightweight at times and shouldn't be a guaranteed starter. 

As for Rudden it's just purely because Mullen ran himself into the ground and looked fucked at the end yesterday. A fresh Rudden might be more use starting. 

Wins are needed , we can't keep sitting and hoping shite like St Johnstone won't win. At the very worst make sure we get a point. 

C'mon the Dee. 

Thank you. 

22 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Gutted I didn’t read this at the time, but thought this might be appropriate here...

No, Thank you @Jimi Shandrix.

A great poster who will be missed.

I'm guessing you are still reading but not posting, as you were on today mate. 

Better to burn out than to fade away, right enough!

We will all meet up in the High Stand my Dee brother.

Thank you.

What thread did Jimi post that up on? ffs all the best Jimi.

3 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Gutted I didn’t read this at the time, but thought this might be appropriate here...

No, Thank you @Jimi Shandrix.

A great poster who will be missed.

I'm guessing you are still reading but not posting, as you were on today mate. 

Better to burn out than to fade away, right enough!

We will all meet up in the High Stand my Dee brother.

Thank you.

Really sorry to be seeing this. Thoroughly enjoyed his Broughty Athletic discussion in the Midlands League section, though he'd indicated of late that making games were becoming more of a struggle. Can only hope things are as smooth as they could be in such a terrible situation. Your contributions won't be forgotten Jimi, and I'm sure that's the least important thing people more knowing than me will forever appreciate you for. I wish you all the best.