All things Dundee FC

Just watched his interview. He's using all the traditional buzz words like 'build a culture', 'identity' and the like but what struck me is how knowledgeable about the club he came across as.

He's lived in Dundee for the past 18 year and started talking about how it's an honour to have the same job as the likes of Bob Shankly, Tommy Gemmell, Jocky Scott and Jim Duffy have had before him. 

Talks a lot about the facilities being great and he wants an easy on the eye side but appreciates that's not always possibly in the top flight so he won't be stuck to one set up if we need to mix it up. Goes on to say how he has already been in touch with potential targets and he knows who he wants to keep on going into next season. Finally states that he's just waiting on confirmation of his backroom team and there'll be more on that once it's confirmed.

Seems a positive guy - bit repetitive the interview but a decent vibe. Came across as knowledgeable and passionate were the main two takeaways. Said he has all the experience of a seasoned manager with the way he's worked but the enthusiasm of a first time manager.

I will admit I’ve been more grumpier than most with regards to managerial appointments at Dens but I think this is could very well prove to be a good move.  To do reasonably well in the Premiership with what is likely to be a relatively small budget I think any new manager has to pick up the bulk of his squad from Scotland.

I just can’t see us being able to financially tempt many players from England to move up here, especially the more senior players that we need as they are arguably more likely to have family. I would imagine players with families would look for a decent increase in salary before they consider moving their entire family here. 

Docherty would appear to be the sort of person who knows the Scottish game extremely well.

54 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I will admit I’ve been more grumpier than most with regards to managerial appointments at Dens but I think this is could very well prove to be a good move.  To do reasonably well in the Premiership with what is likely to be a relatively small budget I think any new manager has to pick up the bulk of his squad from Scotland.

I just can’t see us being able to financially tempt many players from England to move up here, especially the more senior players that we need as they are arguably more likely to have family. I would imagine players with families would look for a decent increase in salary before they consider moving their entire family here. 

Docherty would appear to be the sort of person who knows the Scottish game extremely well.

Totally agree with you, we’re long overdue a really good manager, maybe Tony is the man. 

Reasonably happy with this. Is it a leap of faith? Sure, but any hire is, and we'd be getting all these reactions anyway. A guy who has his head on his shoulders and who should hopefully have a very good idea of what it takes in a squad to stay up, as that's the main goal right now from which we would very much like to build on. All the best Tony, hope you're the right man for the job.

2 hours ago, The Marly said:

Congratulations on promotion Cuntos.  Look forward to welcoming you to McDiarmid for the derbies.

Thank you. 

What derby is this you talk of ? We can’t play United next season and certainty not at McDiarmid 

2 hours ago, The Marly said:

Congratulations on promotion Cuntos.  Look forward to welcoming you to McDiarmid for the derbies.

Thank you. 

I actually enjoy going to McDiarmid, a close by away day which we usually take a decent following. 

I enjoy seeing how much the game means to the Perth locals as well, people need to have something to look forward to.

24 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I actually enjoy going to McDiarmid, a close by away day which we usually take a decent following. 

I enjoy seeing how much the game means to the Perth locals as well, people need to have something to look forward to.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Wee jeemie said:

What derby is this you talk of ? We can’t play United next season and certainty not at McDiarmid 

Our B team will beat them in the diddy cup final at McDiarmid.