All things Dundee FC

6 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

i can see 2 more in a hard b*****d center mindfielder and a right back

i've a feeling that rudden,byrne will be away this window with 1 or 2 other senior players following them out the door.

Can’t see us being in for a right back. Another central midfielder would be good though, possibly a winger type as well. 

1 hour ago, Girth said:

How many more bods does The Doc want to bring in/bin?

The rumour is 2 more midfielders in and potentially a RB option.

Byrne looks very likely to head out on loan considering he was off the team sheet and warming up by himself today, and Rudden might well be gone soon after, as well as one or two others perhaps.

Was at work and didn't know the result until I got home today, but I suppose we just have to hope the squad continues to gel together. Another win and clean sheet certainly isn't too bad.

On 22/07/2023 at 13:42, Dundee-FC92 said:

Thats weird, just the other day I wrote a comment about Palenik then deleted it thinking not many would remember him.

Don't know if its a foreign centre back signing bringing the memory of his back but I was wrong to doubt that the legend would be well remembered.

He used to stride out the defence in the Diddy league and look a class above. Here's hoping Portales can be similar.

Thank you.

Real Dee's ken of big Milan. Was getting on in years but still bullied the f**k out of everyone and could pass out defence excellently as well. 

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

Boateng looked sloppy in possession to but I think overall he will be an important player to us this season. He found himself in some decent shooting positions and it clearly isn't his strong point. Hopefully can work on that. Looks like a Kamara type player for us.

Boateng is frustrating.

One minute he’ll win possession then find a perfect pass. The next he’ll be sloppy picking up an easy pass, make real heavy work of not losing possession, then punt it at 90mph to someone 10 yards away. 

As frustrating as it is to exit the cup already in the group stages (I think our first in a good few seasons), this is probably the one season where I’n not really fussed tbh. 

This season is all about consolidating ourselves again in the top flight and we could do without the midweek game(s) where we’ll likely pick up fatigue and injuries to key players. 

I echo the comments about the starting eleven, far too negative. We looked a greater threat second half once McCowan, Cameron and Bakayoko came on and we were unlucky not to score more than the one. Although the concern is we’re not taking our upteen chances every game but it is sort of the pre season phase so hopefully this irons out.

Will probably need to just keep copying and pasting this after each game this season:

We will not do well with McGhee in midfield and Mulligan as a right back/wing back.

Central defence and attacking midfield respectively are the only areas where these two should be playing.

Edited by Spikethedee

Was very disappointed in starting lineup and the first half supported my thoughts. Subbies made a big difference and reiterated that Cameron must play from the start. We are still far too pedestrian in midfield and I'd love to see the Doc bring in another one or two in there who can play with a bit of vision.

Pluses for me were the keeper, Beck, Boateng (in spells) Cameron and Bakayoko. Portales looks very comfortable too but need to see him against better opposition. I also like the look of Pineda, feel his close control and link up play could be an asset this season.

Negatives were playing McGhee in midfield and Ashcroft at the right of a back three. I like big Lee but he's a CH in a back 4 and nothing else. I think opposition managers would have looked at our defence today and will already be plotting to exploit us down that side. I'd rather have McGhee or Kerr in there for their mobility. Obviously we have French to come back and the new Irish lad once he gets fit but 352 looks to be the managers formation of choice so we need a change of personnel from yesterday.

Overall we're better placed to compete than we were after our last promotion but failure to bring anyone else in will result in a long season I'm afraid. We'll do well to get out of the bottom 3 as it stands

18 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Will probably need to just keep copying and pasting this after each game this season:

We will not do well with McGhee in midfield and Mulligan as a right back/wing back.

Central defence and attacking midfield respectively are the only areas where these two should be playing.

How many managers have now fallen in to the trap of playing Mcghee in midfield and thinking we can get away with it? 

2 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

How many managers have now fallen in to the trap of playing Mcghee in midfield and thinking we can get away with it? 

Said this many times before, but it worked when it was a three with Charlie Adam spraying passes about, because all McGhee had to do was run forward and try to get on the end of them, and then get stuck in when we didn't have the ball. He didn't have to play much in the way of football in that set-up, so it masked his deficiencies, and he was exactly what we were missing before McPake started using him in that role. Ross Callachan did something similar the season before when we'd lacked any box-to-box capability, then Max Anderson for a while, but there's no sense at all in playing McGhee in any midfield that doesn't use a deep playmaker like Charlie, and playing him next to Boateng is a non-starter because Boateng is a holding/shielding type himself, only with a wee bit more ability on the ball than McGhee.

So that's McPake (to a point), Mark McGhee, Bowyer, and now Docherty. They aren't all complete idiots, so it really makes me wonder what they are seeing that we are not. 

9 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

Apparently we’re signing Craig Sibbald? Swap with Byrne or Anderson?

According to Scott Burns its a no go. If it was, would much prefer Anderson to go there. Byrne would add a lot to their team.

And here I thought we'd make it through the transfer window without a bloody 'nick a player United' nothingburger rumour 🙄

Mohammed looks a decent prospect, wonder if he'll get a shot in our U20's Challenge Cup game vs Buckie on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

And here I thought we'd make it through the transfer window without a bloody 'nick a player United' nothingburger rumour 🙄

Mohammed looks a decent prospect, wonder if he'll get a shot in our U20's Challenge Cup game vs Buckie on Wednesday.

Where’s that getting played, might go along.