All things Dundee FC

4 hours ago, Vernon gilmore said:

Jack Wilkie away to Edinburgh city on loan 

It's a good move for young Wilkie, definitely needing regular 1st team football now at this stage of his development so hopefully he gets it there. Gives me a wee concern that we're not very well covered in the LB position if Beck is out other than Cammy moving over to that side if need be.

37 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

It's a good move for young Wilkie, definitely needing regular 1st team football now at this stage of his development so hopefully he gets it there. Gives me a wee concern that we're not very well covered in the LB position if Beck is out other than Cammy moving over to that side if need be.

Would imagine Donelly would cover there once he recovers from his injury. 

9 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I had no idea, but our reserves keeper is on the bench for Arbroath tonight. 7 day emergency loan apparently.

Think I can speak for everyone here when I say 'Mon the Broath'.

Thank you.

Yeah, definitely a decent foundation to build on, both in terms of the result and the team on the park.

I was a bit worried going in with McCowan playing WB, but in all honesty the only times Motherwell got behind us it was by going down our left. That might be by design, because it's possible they watched Beck v ICT and saw him as a weak link positionally and decided to route their play down there, but I can't recall McCowan and McGhee ever looking in any trouble on the right.

Thought Shaughnessy was really solid in the middle, the keeper looks competent and comfortable enough, and Boateng did what he's supposed to do without any fuss. Cameron played in the right area today, and he shouldn't be used in a deeper midfield role, but I still think that's the one big problem area in this side. Apart from a lack of depth on the left behind Beck, we have a bit of a hole in the position next to Boateng. I think Mulligan is a far better option than McGhee, but even he is better suited to playing a bit further forward rather than having to be a do-it-all CM. 

Robinson looked his usual handful, and I think there could be a good partnership with Bakayoko once it's up to speed. The big guy doesn't look properly match fit to me, because he was happy to tear around all over the place in the first half, but he barely showed up in the second. I don't think he has the lazy streak that sometimes comes with big strikers, because he's shown already he's willing to chase balls into the corners, and he also has a decent turn of pace for a big guy.

Definitely more promising than the bunch of haddies that McPake assembled around Charlie Adam the last time we came up, but I think we're still a bit off where we need to be. One or two of the deadwood out, and find another good CM from somewhere and we'd be looking ok.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Is it too soon for me to say that I think we look a little more organised and quicker under Docherty?  Particularly when you consider we have stepped up a level.

I was also impressed with the fitness levels today.  That would have been hard work on that heavy pitch.  

Finally, well done to the groundsmen.  It took a fair amount of work throughout the match to keep the corner flag area in front of the Derry clear of water.

Great shift from the lads today. Luke my mom too, when he’s in the mood he’s a top player. Thought Motherwell did a decent job of man marking Cameron but the wee guy keeps going and got the goal. Keeper looks an upgrade, Beck a threat going forward but when he loses possession we can get exposed down the left. Not massively convinced about Boetang. He’s a big unit but his passing isn’t that great. 
Anyway we’re a point ahead of Sainties. 

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

Anyone a bit underwhelmed by our big hammer thrower Mexican, who went off at the first tickle he got??

Honourable mention for Harry sharp and Jack Wilkie who got minutes today too

He gestured as he got up that he’d rolled his ankle.  Doesn’t seem the type to shirk a challenge but not much you can do about that.

5 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

He gestured as he got up that he’d rolled his ankle.  Doesn’t seem the type to shirk a challenge but not much you can do about that.

Docherty saying they think he's landed awkwardly on his knee. Really hope it's nothing bad as that's some rotten luck for the boy.

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

Anyone a bit underwhelmed by our big hammer thrower Mexican, who went off at the first tickle he got??

Honourable mention for Harry sharp and Jack Wilkie who got minutes today too

He literally played about four minutes. 

Happy with today. In previous seasons we simply couldn't compete in games like this. Shouldve won it and Boateng, Beck and McCracken all stepped up. I thought Boateng was brilliant in the centre.

McCowan motm by a mile - poor for him not to be given the credit and applause. Don't want to be too negative but Cameron was poor today and the goal saved him from coming off. If he's going to start every week he'll need to do alot more than that.

Late subbies possibly could've gave us an extra push forward late on? That was my thinking in the game anyway. If we had've lost a late goal think I would of still clapped the team off - can't really complain when that's the case. 

Onto St Mirren, hopefully a big away crowd after the showing today. 

Keep it up.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Docherty saying they think he's landed awkwardly on his knee. Really hope it's nothing bad as that's some rotten luck for the boy.

Definitely made a rolling motion so yeh maybe stretched the knee ligaments or something. Gutting start for him

Strange game today probably due to first game of the season nerves and poor conditions for playing football. Plus points for me were performances of McCowan, Beck and Mulligan. Not impressed with Boateng or Bakayoko but early days and hopefully they improve. Overall a decent point as I think Motherwell looked like a team who can push for top 6. 

30 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

He literally played about four minutes. 

Happy with today. In previous seasons we simply couldn't compete in games like this. Shouldve won it and Boateng, Beck and McCracken all stepped up. I thought Boateng was brilliant in the centre.

McCowan motm by a mile - poor for him not to be given the credit and applause. Don't want to be too negative but Cameron was poor today and the goal saved him from coming off. If he's going to start every week he'll need to do alot more than that.

Late subbies possibly could've gave us an extra push forward late on? That was my thinking in the game anyway. If we had've lost a late goal think I would of still clapped the team off - can't really complain when that's the case. 

Onto St Mirren, hopefully a big away crowd after the showing today. 

Keep it up.

Thank you.

Cameron was really well marked and rag dolled a bit, Motherwell had clearly identified him as the danger man. That said he can create goals and score them as he did today. It’s his first game in the top league, he’s really only had 1/2 a season in the championship, for me he has to start. 
When Luke McCowan is in the mood, as he was today, he can be 1 of the best players in the league. 
We all see it differently but for me Boetang has to do more. 
Through the injury we got our wish with McGhee in the back line. Keep him there!

Mulligan put in a great shift, strong running and dribbling but he just can’t get his head up and see a pass. 
Grounds for hope.