All things Dundee FC

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

When will he sign for Rangers?

Aye, I immediately saw the Kamara similarities too 😆 Hopefully TD is astute enough to plan around any potential downing of tools if he has a good season for us.

10 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I get slightly erect every time we bring new blood to Scottish football. 

Excited about this one. Let's see if we get another one in before Monday.

@RossBFaeDundee is sylla our midfielder we've been waiting for?

Idk, hopefully. Didn't know who this guy was at all. Personally hope it doesn't effect us bringing in Diarra as I quite like what I see from him. Guess I'll have to start sleuthing on Sylla for now though, but they both sound similar in terms of talents as ball-winning MFs.

If both come into the squad, we suddenly have a fair bit of depth in centre midfield which is nice.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

11 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Guess I'll have to start sleuthing on Sylla for now though, but they both sound similar in terms of talents as ball-winning MFs.

syall.thumb.png.f599e45775d363872b03446c7386a6c6.png

He looks great as a ball winning CM? While giving you value while playing deeper too.

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

syall.thumb.png.f599e45775d363872b03446c7386a6c6.png

He looks great as a ball winning CM? While giving you value while playing deeper too.

Much as I hate this shite are we not looking for a guy who can create with passing that unlocks a defence. Will he play instead of Boeteng? 

9 hours ago, johnnydun said:

WGS loves a tall player like.

Wasn't this his issue when he was Scotland boss? Boys not tall enough?

What GS said has been taken totally out of context and blown up into something it isn't by people too silly to grasp the nuance of the point he was making.

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Don't think we really need another ball-winner type, but if it means competition for Boateng and pushes both players then I suppose that's a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Understandable loan given the injury situation, but I'd be really disappointed if that's the 'possibly one more' and the last signing of the summer since we still don't have anything like a ball-playing centre mid.

Sorry but this has thrown me, which is it then?

On Lamie, things must be looking up for us as he must reckon we're staying up this season.

Also trusting our Spanish friends on Diarra and him being the last summer signing, they wouldn't lie to us 😊🤔

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Sorry but this has thrown me, which is it then?

I'm not sure what you mean?

We already have destructive, shielding mids, which Sylla is supposedly, yet we don't have a ball-playing playmaker to pair with one, which is what I think is the biggest hole in the team right now.

If Docherty is planning on playing two sitting, destructive CM's the entire season in an effort to just make us as difficult as possible to break down, then fair enough, but that's a pretty horrendous, unambitious way to set up a side, and ultimately I'm not convinced it would return any more points over the long-haul than including a more expansive player who can control the play a bit more. The bottom half of the Premier is pretty keech, so I'd be extremely disappointed if the manager thinks we have to shitfest for an entire season to have a chance of staying up.

Edited by Boo Khaki

10 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm not sure what you mean?

We already have destructive, shielding mids, which Sylla is supposedly, yet we don't have a ball-playing playmaker to pair with one, which is what I think is the biggest hole in the team right now.

If Docherty is planning on playing two sitting, destructive CM's the entire season in an effort to just make us as difficult as possible to break down, then fair enough, but that's a pretty horrendous, unambitious way to set up a side, and ultimately I'm not convinced it would return any more points over the long-haul than including a more expansive player who can control the play a bit more. The bottom half of the Premier is pretty keech, so I'd be extremely disappointed if the manager thinks we have to shitfest for an entire season to have a chance of staying up.

See, that's exactly what I think Diarra can bring to the team, he can be the two-way midfielder in this 3-5-2 it feels we're building towards.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

What GS said has been taken totally out of context and blown up into something it isn't by people too silly to grasp the nuance of the point he was making.

Sorry Gordon.

Has it? He said that we (the Scottish national team, at that time) were "genetically behind", because of height and strength. I don't see what I'm meant to grasp?

This could be a reason we are signing quite a few 6ft plus players, is all I'm suggesting.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Sorry Gordon.

Has it? He said that we (the Scottish national team, at that time) were "genetically behind", because of height and strength. I don't see what I'm meant to grasp?

This could be a reason we are signing quite a few 6ft plus players, is all I'm suggesting.

If you remember the game V's Georgia at Ibrox, it was remarkable how walking out of the tunnel the Georgians were visibly taller and stronger than our players. The point Strachan was making was that people who decry Scotland's inability to just brush former 'lesser' nations aside overlook the fact that in those circumstances, it's yet another aspect that limits a manager's options when it comes to how to approach the game.

If you are the much bigger, more physically strong side, then you automatically have an exploitable advantage at set pieces, you can set out to bully and out-muscle the opponent if needs be, including reverting to hoofing it and going route-one if that's what it takes to get the result. If you are invariably the smaller, weaker of the two sides, then you just don't have that option.

Some folk leapt to the conclusions Strachan hates short players, or that he thinks it isn't possible to play successful football when you are physically inferior to your opponent, which is palpable nonsense. The only point he was making is that when you come from a country where you are demographically predisposed to being short, then you have to work with what you have, and in our case, that means it's highly unlikely we're ever going to assemble a side of 6'2" physical specimens, so any manager's hands are tied somewhat because the option of being a hugely physically imposing side is never going to be there whether you want to take advantage of that option or not.

Somehow that has morphed into "Strachan wouldn't play Messi if Messi was Scottish", which is utter fucking nonsense quite frankly. He had no issues playing several players of similar stature but nowhere near that level of ability.