All things Dundee FC

54 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Thought that the subs hurt us a bit. We looked totally untroubled until Boateng went off, and after that we looked like we'd forgotten what the idea was really. 

Still, not taking the clear chances and some poor defending at both goals are what ultimately cost us. It's annoying that we coped perfectly fine with everything St Johnstone had to offer in normal play, yet conceded twice in desperation-time humps to the back post. Will have to see the replays but both of them smelled like somebody was out of position/switched off/lost their guy.

Agreed, although not totally surprised by that substitution.  I was however surprised that Howley replaced Roberston, who I thought was good at doing a lot of the unglamorous work today.  A big ask for Howley I thought.   I wonder if TD thought it was simply a like for like substitution?

As others said felt like the subs totally killed us. Too many debuts today. For 80mins it felt like St Johnstone could’ve played for a week and never scored. Tiffoney, bakayoko and Rudden should’ve taken their chances. Not sure why Robinson doesn’t get played through the middle when he’s probably our most natural finisher. Would’ve fancied him to have buried Rudden’s chance. Anyway, that’s another game we’ve dropped silly points which is frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Echo the sentiments, was a right boot in the bollocks that one, but no one to blame but ourselves, Tiffoney has to bury the chance at 2 nil, and then Rudden at the end being Rudden, loving the Doc's side though, onwards and upwards.

Thank you.

Yeah, agree totally with that Biggie. Healthy position to be in being very disappointed x10 at dropping 2 points today at Perth.

However I'm sure we'd all agree, this season is shaping up to be 'head and shoulders' above the calamities of the top league latter tenure of Paul Hartley and then the McCann, McIntyre, McPake and McGhee collective experience which was not pleasant, competent or memorable in any shape or form, imho.

At some point John Nelms' had to come good, (we won't mention the Callum Davidson thoughts, ffs) and thank you also to Tim Keyes, as very unlike the Dab's American owner he is not constantly speaking about the departure lounge back to the 'land of the free', lol.

For those of a certain vintage, 'The Doc' is giving off positive Archie Knox-esque vibes, again imho. Still, he's very much learning about who he has available at his disposal and their respective strengths, however the early signs are looking more than decent. 

Regards

Great day today. Went to Perth Swimming with the kids, a few pints at Sandeman then off to the game with kids and my Dad.

Dundee looked like they'd win easy, we left at 2 nil to get back to Aberdeen and was surprised it ended 2-2.

I liked the St J fans, friendly bunch and created a good atmosphere.

Off to Aberdeen v Hibs tomorrow hoping the kids end up supporting Dundee!

Willie Miller said on the radio that the late subs were reminiscent of the subs McInnes and Docherty used to make at Pittodrie and they often lost. 
I really like the Doc (agreed TCM) but he needs to learn from this. Every point is a prisoner and splaffing 2 up the wall is not on. 

3 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I'm pretty sure Rudden was standing alone, playing everyone onside for the 2nd goal. Could be wrong though.

Lamie tried to clear it and ended up ficking it to the back post where a boy sprinted in behind Rudden and crossed it, moments before Robinson should have just cleared his lines instead of trying to be cute.

Not really Rudden to blame but he's the current whipping boy and is getting absolutely slaughtered on social media which is out of order.

Agree also @Fifespud, 'The Doc' will also know how precious every point is in this league and will also be hurting this evening.

Willie Miller, superb defender he was back in the day, however mediocre to shite manager at his peak, so I'll ignore his expert opinions for the time being.

Let's be clear though as you correctly say, two points splaffed today, lessons to be learned all round.

'The Doc' will deliver improvement above that which we're used to, it's a team game to be fair and they're all still learning how to react and play alongside each other.

Good times for a change.

Thank you     

My major complaint from today would be why you'd take off Boateng. The sensible option would be bringing on Sylla to sit alongside him when the match is all but won. The likes of Mulligan and Kerr could've even helped late on for your McCowans and Robinsons who were flagging. 

Rudden can take every bit of blame he's given on social media. Not to pass the ball for an open goal is selfish and pathetic. He lost us guaranteed three points in that act and will have to face up to it.

The seasons a marathon though and not a sprint. Four games in and we've not looked out of place, which is miles ahead of where we've been in recent years. Let the Perth celebrate like they've won the league and let's see where we are come May. Four games into the season and out of the two sets of supporters from today only  one can harbour any sort of optimism for the near future.

At many times in the past under the likes of McCann and McPake I just prayed for a team who could compete, give their all and maybe some entertainment alongside it. Every game so far this season I've enjoyed and left feeling good about these players. 

Fine tune the decisions Docherty and we're in for a good season. Plenty of talent in that squad and the likes of Beck today showed we have a season to look forward to rather than dread. 

We move forward.

Thank You.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

6 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

My major complaint from today would be why you'd take off Boateng. The sensible option would be bringing on Sylla to sit alongside him when the match is all but won. The likes of Mulligan and Kerr could've even helped late on for your McCowans and Robinsons who were flagging. 

Rudden can take every bit of blame he's given on social media. Not to pass the ball for an open goal is selfish and pathetic. He lost us guaranteed three points in that act and will have to face up to it.

The seasons a marathon though and not a sprint. Four games in and we've not looked out of place, which is miles ahead of where we've been in recent years. Let the Perth celebrate like they've won the league and let's see where we are come May. Four games into the season and out of the two sets of supporters from today only  one can harbour any sort of optimism for the near future.

At many times in the past under the likes of McCann and McPake I just prayed for a team who could compete, give their all and maybe some entertainment alongside it. Every game so far this season I've enjoyed and left feeling good about these players. 

Fine tune the decisions Docherty and we're in for a good season. Plenty of talent in that squad and the likes of Beck today showed we have a season to look forward to rather than dread. 

We move forward.

Thank You.

At a guess I wonder if TD thought Boateng was tiring and thought Sylla would simply do the same job with a fresh pair of legs?  I’m not defending the decision, just trying to guess what TD was thinking.  With regards to Mulligan I would have much preferred he was brought on rather than Howley who is just in the door.  

The fact we are able to discuss genuine options from the bench though is a good problem to have and one that I genuinely don’t think we have had the last couple of times we’ve been in this  league.

Once TD gets to know all his new players I’m pretty confident we will successfully see out games like today.

36 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

Ted Heath was the Prime Minister the last time you muppets won Silverware.

You're the muppet for bringing up that individual/Saviles mate, so take your spawney point, f**k off and educate yourself.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

9 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Once TD gets to know all his new players I’m pretty confident we will successfully see out games like today.

Worth remembering its still his first job as manager too, which might be easy to forget as hes been about so long. His experience as assistant gives him a head start, but he'll still have mistakes to make as a rookie manager. Best thing for you is that he'll almost definitely always learn from them.

One thing after the game I was surprised by was overheating a bunch of saints fans talking about how much they want United to win the championship. Never had their support down as wannabe dabs but can’t say I’m surprised.

1 hour ago, K.T said:

One thing after the game I was surprised by was overheating a bunch of saints fans talking about how much they want United to win the championship. Never had their support down as wannabe dabs but can’t say I’m surprised.

I can understand that though , saints will be in championship next season so probably want to avoid playing the Durty Arab bazturds 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth remembering it’s still his first job as manager too, which might be easy to forget as hes been about so long. His experience as assistant gives him a head start, but he'll still have mistakes to make as a rookie manager. Best thing for you is that he'll almost definitely always learn from them.

Correct.  TD has a lot of experience as an assistant manager which I personally think is important.  

I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a manager that has no prior experience of management whether that experience be as an assistant or a manager at another club.  More often than not appointing a manager who has no prior management experience is simply because they have some sort of connection with the club.   That’s where I think St Johnstone are in a fair bit of trouble.  MacLean has no managerial experience.  Prior to his appointment if Maclean had played for, say Ross County, and had no St Johnstone connection would any St Johnstone supporter have accepted that sort of appointment?

I would imagine some of the fans who defend MacLean will point to his substitutions yesterday as being tactically astute.  I genuinely believe the match swung the way it did due to poor substitutions by TD, and in fairness, a determination of the St Johnstone players to keep battling.  Of course battling qualities is something that will definitely be required in the likely relegation battle.  Perhaps that quality has rubbed off from MacLean?

All ifs and buts at this early stage of the season of course.  Time will tell.

23 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Willie Miller, superb defender he was back in the day, however mediocre to shite manager at his peak, so I'll ignore his expert opinions for the time being.

I know, finishing 2nd twice and losing in 2 cup finals, absolute disaster as a manager!!!