All things Dundee FC

29 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fair enough with the fans being happy with the late goal, but Doc and the players better be spewing after yet another capitulation and be motivated to fix it for Tuesday, massive game.

Aye, I'm delighted. But I was half way through typing a not-so-delighted post when we equalised :lol: 

Given that's us back to playing St J again and the same things are happening I have to admit to being a bit concerned. Is this him trying to McInnes games out?

There was a moment in the second half where Mulligan drove up the wing with the ball and despite him running it out of play I was encouraged because we were camped so deep in our own half and needed someone to take the initiative. But the issue was he was the furthest player forward and he was only about the halfway line. Too many players are told to stay back when we're winning, which leads to second halves like today. For the first 15 mins or so I was thinking ok this has been a tough start to the half, hopefully we settle and start creating chances. But it turns out that was the plan...

If that's the pattern of play for a full half then we've got a problem and we can't keep doing it because as we've seen it bites us on the arse rather often.

Anyway, despite my criticism I am fully behind the Doc and this team. If only Beck had scored that chance off the bar!

Thump the Johnnies and it'll have been a very good first half season back up indeed. 💙

11 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The number of loanees won't be an issue as Marcel Lewis will probably be back to Burnley in January.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think there's a limit on cross-border loans unless that's changed recently.

That's all fine and good to know, but I was more trying to figure out why we would want/need another CM in January when we have more pressing areas of the pitch to attend to rather than worrying about loan restrictions. If this Gyabi lad is better than what we have I totally get it, but otherwise I'd rather the focus was drawing in a proper striker or a solid RWB.

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

Aye, I'm delighted. But I was half way through typing a not-so-delighted post when we equalised :lol: 

Given that's us back to playing St J again and the same things are happening I have to admit to being a bit concerned. Is this him trying to McInnes games out?

There was a moment in the second half where Mulligan drove up the wing with the ball and despite him running it out of play I was encouraged because we were camped so deep in our own half and needed someone to take the initiative. But the issue was he was the furthest player forward and he was only about the halfway line. Too many players are told to stay back when we're winning, which leads to second halves like today. For the first 15 mins or so I was thinking ok this has been a tough start to the half, hopefully we settle and start creating chances. But it turns out that was the plan...

If that's the pattern of play for a full half then we've got a problem and we can't keep doing it because as we've seen it bites us on the arse rather often.

Anyway, despite my criticism I am fully behind the Doc and this team. If only Beck had scored that chance off the bar!

Thump the Johnnies and it'll have been a very good first half season back up indeed. 💙

The attempt at McInnesball was stewing in my head the whole 2nd half, and I think he was. He's clearly not mastered it yet, and though I say I hope he fixes it, my concern is that his way of doing so will be by trying to perfect it rather than change the tactic, which I think is the better option as we're clearly not seeing out games with this approach. It's so frustrating because this team could've been well in the top six/European football conversation if it could sort this crap out, and instead we could be dragged back into the relegation play-off mix on Tuesday. I do reckon we have more than enough to get the win on Tuesday, but it should feel more comfortable.

Also, wish we'd managed to get one of those games against Aberdeen on before January, they look absolute dugmeat and there for the taking.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

2 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

The first 45 today was unreal from the boys. Howley was class on the right and a huge improvement on McGhee who done quite well in his natural position and the only one he should ever play.

The game changed when Howley went off; Mulligan moved from the middle and our legs upfront began to go. Howley clearly couldn't last the full 90 and was fucked by about 55.

Miscommunication for the first goal was rotten from two senior pros like Carson and Shaugnessy.

Sylla and Mulligan in the middle is the way forward however Tiffoney weak as a kitten and has to take a better touch to see him in on goal at the end of the first half. He done some good but seems like he'll cause alot of frustration.

Overall we have to be happy we can go to a club flying in 4th and dominate for large periods. Be patient with this manager and we might be onto a winner in the coming seasons. The signs are positive for now and the January window will give him a further chance to bring in his own bodies.

Time to scud the Perth before a well deserved break.

Thank you.

I didn’t see as much from Howley as you did, not crap though. Donnelly is a bombscare IMO, think I’d rather have Ashcroft in if we’re struggling for CH’s. 
Tiffoney? So far I’d rather have McMullen. 

Sitting deep never works. Don't understand why that tactic hasn't been took out back and shot yet.

We scored because we placed Killie under pressure and they started to drop further and further back.

Second half we invited that pressure onto ourselves and it was inevitable.

That was 2 points dropped today. Enjoyed it but my god was it frustrating.

The improvement on the playing side under 'The Doc' this season is, let's face it and be honest, off the scale in comparison to recent seasons for someone still learning and developing his own style and identity.

If Tim Keyes can deliver what his spokesman John Nelms' is proposing, these are special times indeed for our club.

Looking forward to St Johnstone's anti-football Craig Levein visit, takes all sorts after all in football. However not as much as I'm looking forward to the transfer window under 'our Tony' if I'm honest.

For folks of my vintage in their late 50's, Tony gives off the same vibes as Archie Knox did in years past. A competent football manager, employed at Dens Park, WTF!

Regards and merely my opinion as always.

R2d6b2e317b85639bc5841da747f75844.gif.13ea8b0a34b4429bca5f38a1f1f414dc.gif

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I thought every single sub made Dundee worse.

It's a kind of recurring theme but maybe understandable when you have limited quality on the bench.  Perhaps the manager needs to think a bit more about how much he needs to make changes?

Anyhow,  a point away at a form team is a good point.

11 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fair enough with the fans being happy with the late goal, but Doc and the players better be spewing after yet another capitulation and be motivated to fix it for Tuesday, massive game.

According to the BBC Sport website, they were. 

Not sure about capitulation though, we were only 1 in front and 5 minutes to go these days is like 10-15 in the old days. 

52 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

2 goals for Jakubiak yesterday. We probably should have  kept him. Cheap too. 

Pars fans were calling it a 'Christmas miracle' that he had actually scored for them. I liked Jakubiak but we're needing a better quality of striker at this level imo.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Pars fans were calling it a 'Christmas miracle' that he had actually scored for them. I liked Jakubiak but we're needing a better quality of striker at this level imo.

We also need better than we’ve currently got. 

49 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

We also need better than we’ve currently got. 

Bakayoko couldn't trap a bag of cement, touch of an elephant, hopeless big lump, 6'4 and never wins a header. IMO.

Thank you.

eta Rudden is probably better.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

It's been quite a year so I'm not going to get over critical of any of the players. A year ago we were about to play these games.Screenshot_20231231_191410_Chrome.thumb.jpg.961cf065a8a16ff17bcdaf5c22402626.jpg

We obviously improved after but it still took a total bottle job from QP to leave us top and win the thing.

We were all a bit unsure about Boywer being let go especially as Nelms track records with managers had been fairly shit however I think we can all agree we're happy how its turned out.

Still early days but it looks like the Doc can pick a player and I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt on a couple of the starters at the moment. 

2023 was pretty decent for us in the end even after the above start, the DABs swapped with us, which was nice and hopefully they stay there, we just need to keep this momentum going, a couple of new bodies in and as far away from relegation as possible. 

Happy New Year Dees.

Thank you.