All things Dundee FC

I think playing Tiffoney, Cameron and Costelleoe at the same time makes the team too lightweight against any half decent team.  

I thought Mellon and Main improved the team when they came on, as did Mulligan.

I actually thought Donnelly was ok today.  Several players worse than him today. 

5 minutes ago, Luke Newman said:

Carson

McGhee   Portales   Donnelly
Costelloe                                         Beck

Robertson   Sylla   Boateng

McCowan

Mellon

Big fan of Robertson back in. Been too long since he was given a chance. He's been wasted this season IMO. 

Sick of poor corners and set pieces. Robertson is one of the only players that can pass and pass well

3 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Big fan of Robertson back in. Been too long since he was given a chance. He's been wasted this season IMO. 

Sick of poor corners and set pieces. Robertson is one of the only players that can pass and pass well

He has been decent when ever he has played. Cameron can’t defend and scared to tackle 

The best team won today as they've looked against us all season.

When you look at our results against Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock and St Mirren it's probably one of the worst returns in the division. We're not quite there yet, but we are in with a shout of top six with seven games until the split.

Three points needed against Kilmarnock next Saturday and if it doesn't come we can have no complains over a bottom six finish. 

The game was in the balance today and Carson had a howler. Not good enough despite the decent display afterwards from him. The strikers in particular also failing to deliver against the better teams.

All steps in the process though and it shouldn't be forgotten a year ago we were looking like losing out on the Championship title to a woeful Queens Park side.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Luke Newman said:

He has been decent when ever he has played. Cameron can’t defend and scared to tackle 

100% this.  Runs into tackles so quickly a quick change of direction by the player with the ball and they are away.  He should spend time looking at Beck to see how a smaller player should go about getting between the ball and an opposition player. Of course you need to be willing to take a knock doing that and I’ve not seen that side of his game to date. 

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Cameron isn't there to defend though. He is an attacking midfielder who was made to play too deep today.   

I think every midfielder should and needs to be able to do basic defending if they play in a team that will be under pressure for large parts of a game.

I wonder if that’s part of the reason why we don’t play well against the better teams?  They force us to defend more and more of their defenders and defensive midfielders are capable of joining the attack.  

He’s still young though and if he can learn to defend / tackle the way McCowan has he’ll be a real all round outstanding player.

51 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Would like to see McCracken given a shot, that was nonsense from Carson with the 1st goal, lost the stream at half time as well so can't comment on 2nd half.

Totally agree that was awful again from Carson , my stream went off at half time as well , but I changed to hibs tv which came back on a couple of minutes into the second half , commentary wasn’t bad not to biased although Stuart Lovell did talk a lot 💩 

18 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

Totally agree that was awful again from Carson , my stream went off at half time as well , but I changed to hibs tv which came back on a couple of minutes into the second half , commentary wasn’t bad not to biased although Stuart Lovell did talk a lot 💩 

From the volley out to the full back, which resulted in the corner for their goal, to the easy catch fumble, not good enough, ok he saved a few, but they were right at him. Agree about the Hibs commentary, fair and good.

got what we deserved today---f**k all   carson is beginning to frustrate me some outstanding saves then a brain fart thrown in.

while we were shite we still looked reasonably comfortable until the penalty

if we went at hibs for the whole game instead of just the last 10 mins we might have got something as they dont look all that clever at the back.

I fear this is not going to be a very enjoyable week. If Portales is fully fit then get back to him, Joe and Lamie in the 3 CB pairing again and get back to playing effectively on the counter like how we were doing earlier in the season if we want anything from Celtic away and a rampant Killie at Dens.

At the end of the day though, cannot take for granted the relief that no matter what happens we don't have to worry about the bottom of the table. Worst case scenario we'll likely be the best of the bottom 6, anything else is excellent, and top 6 is still very much in our hands for the time being. Losing at Easter Road is not a new thing even for our better squads, so I find it hard to stay mad for too long, just disappointed that we looked to get a massive point for a minute before letting it go.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Unless I'm missing my guess, which indeed is possible at age 59, according to Wiki Antonio Portales' has played 12 games for us and we're about to enter March with still no show.

Did he remain for his professional injury recuperation over the festive period, or piss off home I'd be interested to know.

The absolute nonsense about his comments regarding representing Mexico and therefore going onto play at champions league level, ffs.

Concentrate on representing your employer and actually earning your salary young man.

Some of us are not so easily impressed or misled I'm afraid.

Merely my opinion, as always.

Watching the highlights back and having been at the game, Shaughnessy was awful, He has been good against scrappy teams but there is a reason that St Mirren (scrappy team) didn't play him. You should never get turned facing backwards. 3 at the back and Portales in the middle. Make McCowan captain he cares so much and is the hardest working. He was shouting at Shaghnessy as well who looked sheepish. McCowan sets an example on the pitch. Wouldn't mind given Astley an chance either.

4 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

I think playing Tiffoney, Cameron and Costelleoe at the same time makes the team too lightweight against any half decent team.  

I thought Mellon and Main improved the team when they came on, as did Mulligan.

I actually thought Donnelly was ok today.  Several players worse than him today. 

Glad to see Michael Mellon back playing so quickly, after the murder attempt on him less than 2 weeks ago.

Sylla, Boateng and McCowan should be our 3 central midfielders. Harsh but it's McCowan or Cameron for me, not McCowan and Cameron.

We'll probably sell McCowan for a cheeky wee fee in the summer so then it'll be ideal for Cameron to fully takeover his role then.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Harsh but it's McCowan or Cameron for me, not McCowan and Cameron.

This. Neither are CM's and having them both in today with Costelloe and Tiffoney in front of them was genuinely mental.

Looked like one CM in Sylla and 5 forwards.

2 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

This. Neither are CM's and having them both in today with Costelloe and Tiffoney in front of them was genuinely mental.

Looked like one CM in Sylla and 5 forwards.

Really don't understand Docherty's change to a system with wingers. Fair enough, our formation might have needed a wee freshen up but Tiffoney and Costelloe aren't good enough to be starting for us IMO. 

I absolutely slaughtered Costelloe when we signed him but he's been nowhere near the drastic failure I thought he'd be. He's still not good enough to start though and we don't have any other decent wingers.

We used this formation against St Johnstone and County as well and despite winning both games, we had to change formation mid match in both as it wasn't fully working then either. 

43 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sylla, Boateng and McCowan should be our 3 central midfielders. Harsh but it's McCowan or Cameron for me, not McCowan and Cameron.

We'll probably sell McCowan for a cheeky wee fee in the summer so then it'll be ideal for Cameron to fully takeover his role then.

Especially against teams that will put pressure on us.

I think we were able to play with a less aggressive and more attack minded midfield against Ross County and St Johnstone because those two teams are so poor.  

4 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Cameron isn't there to defend though. He is an attacking midfielder who was made to play too deep today.

I think this is on Docherty and not the players themselves. Cameron, Tiffoney and McCowan are good attacking midfielders, McCowan in particular has been excellent, but they're lightweight and weak defensively. Starting all three is madness. It only worked against St Johnstone and Ross County because they're guff, against better sides Sylla can't be expected to do all the defensive graft in the centre of the park.