All things Dundee FC

Granny Danger, on 27 Feb 2015 - 19:32, said:

Why is it that guys who commentate on football matters assume they can understand company finances? This idiocy of this became apparent during the ongoing Sevco fiasco when many of the BBC commentators showed themselves totally out of their depth, but it didn't stop them from talking nonsense.

It looks like the losses have been more than offset by an injection of capital.

That said I hope Dundee can begin to trade profitability because no shareholder(s) want to underwrite losses on an ongoing basis.

Well said Danger.

A team being relegated from the Prem is always going to have a bumpy first year down in the division. It is, after all, why the relegated team receives a parachute payment. Instead of slowly building, we were thrust into the top flight and panicked, made a lot of mistakes then handed Bomber a corker of a contract and put him along with Gardiner in full control whilst the Americans bedded themselves in. They've evidently splurged and took major advantage of the naivety of the fan owned group (Bomber threatened to quit unless our wage budget was significantly increased then threatened to quit again if the American investment wasn't pushed through and then finally demanded that his wage budget be increased again).

I think the biggest shock is that whilst it should maybe be expected that we were going to make a loss last season, it is still quite a bit more than is acceptable. As has been said, we should be in a lot better shape this season (The accounts due to be released next year) and going forward provided, we, stay in the league for a couple of seasons.

The voices in your head are not reliable. Keep taking the meds.

Trust you to lower the tone.

ETA: For what it's worth, I'm sure that any voices in anyones head would be infinitely more reliable than any other source which is suggesting Kevin Thompson is on £5,000 p/w.

Edited by DonnieDarko

Why is it that guys who commentate on football matters assume they can understand company finances? This idiocy of this became apparent during the ongoing Sevco fiasco when many of the BBC commentators showed themselves totally out of their depth, but it didn't stop them from talking nonsense.

It looks like the losses have been more than offset by an injection of capital.

That said I hope Dundee can begin to trade profitability because no shareholder(s) want to underwrite losses on an ongoing basis.

Nope. I've read it twice, and there isn't a word I can disagree with. The Arab's right. Unlike all the others talking bollocks on my Twitter timeline.

Nope. I've read it twice, and there isn't a word I can disagree with. The Arab's right. Unlike all the others talking bollocks on my Twitter timeline.

What the f**k is Danger playing at? A sensible and factually correct post almost in defence of Dundee FC. He didn't even sign off with a reference to the new year Derby!

Has Bigmouth finally murdered him and taken his account?

Imagine how boring would it be supporting a "well run" club like St Johnstone. Tory c***s who care more about their bank balance than signing world-class talent like Rory Loy.

We signed Rory Fallon and improved the car park instead of getting Loy for nothing...

#Infrastructure

We signed Rory Fallon and improved the car park instead of getting Loy for nothing...

#Infrastructure

Being a New Zealander I assume he (Fallon) ensured that the car park can sustain an earthquake?

That's as close to topical humour I can get I'm afraid.

I see it like the DAB above. Very big number, and seeing Nelms salary being that high in the 1st is annoying (niggling if anything), but injections were always said to come in to cover it, and getting us steady this season was the goal - and it's worked thus far. Another few years of small profit in the Premiership and dare I say, we can for once enjoy it for a few seconds.

I will ask again, what are the Americans intentions for Dundee? Did they not claim that they were going to purchase Dens from John Bennett?

Buying Dens Park would be a waste of cash as it's holding the club back. They would be far better buying land elsewhere and building a purpose built facility that would generate revenue for the club 365 days a year rather than 25 days a year.

If the Americans are happy to keep investing for long term value growth a Dundee playing in a new ground will be worth far more than a Dundee playing in Dens Park which had its day 30 or 40 years ago.

Buying Dens Park would be a waste of cash as it's holding the club back. They would be far better buying land elsewhere and building a purpose built facility that would generate revenue for the club 365 days a year rather than 25 days a year.

If the Americans are happy to keep investing for long term value growth a Dundee playing in a new ground will be worth far more than a Dundee playing in Dens Park which had its day 30 or 40 years ago.

I suspect that the board may well have this at the back of their minds. If I was in charge, I wouldn't really be too keen to pay money for such an inefficiency.

Would be good though to know what they are actually thinking though. By not owning a ground, we're in a vulnerable position and it needs to be sorted one way or another.

harry94, on 28 Feb 2015 - 00:24, said:

I suspect that the board may well have this at the back of their minds. If I was in charge, I wouldn't really be too keen to pay money for such an inefficiency.

Would be good though to know what they are actually thinking though. By not owning a ground, we're in a vulnerable position and it needs to be sorted one way or another.

I'm sorry, but if this were in their mind, then I'd want them out. I don't care if Dens is crumbling (It's not, despite its appearance) and I don't care that it's not making money 365 days a year (There are steps that can be taken too improve this situation), if we were to move from Dens, that'd be that. Dens is our home. Moving elsewhere is simply not an option for me and I think there's a large section of the support that have the same opinion.

For me, personally, part of my love for the club is that my great grandfather (Ironically born in 1893) attended his first Dundee game at Dens, 110 year ago and moving away from Dens (My spiritual home) would take a massive part of my 'connection' to Dundee away.

I'm sorry, but if this were in their mind, then I'd want them out. I don't care if Dens is crumbling (It's not, despite its appearance) and I don't care that it's not making money 365 days a year (There are steps that can be taken too improve this situation), if we were to move from Dens, that'd be that. Dens is our home. Moving elsewhere is simply not an option for me and I think there's a large section of the support that have the same opinion.

For me, personally, part of my love for the club is that my great grandfather (Ironically born in 1893) attended his first Dundee game at Dens, 110 year ago and moving away from Dens (My spiritual home) would take a massive part of my 'connection' to Dundee away.

I've had some of the happiest moments of my life at Dens. The missus and I attended a match the day after our wedding, we took our first born to a match in nappies (the baby that is). I'd take some convincing a move away was a positive. I still feel the yanks will at some stage be proven to be imposters - it's the Dundee way.

I don't care if Dens is crumbling (It's not, despite its appearance) and I don't care that it's not making money 365 days a year (There are steps that can be taken too improve this situation)

I'm kind of sceptical that we could ever reach a level of normal income from Dens (I'm not dismissing it but I would speculate that the amount of money needed would basically be building a new stadium) and if the club is to be properly successful and survive generations, something has to be done. It's pretty easy now kicking things years into the future but the next time this comes up, it could be a time where our die hard support is dying off and we're lingering a division below. Got to be addressed head on now IMO.

I think there's a large section of the support that have the same opinion

The thing is though, fans always say that. I don't know if we're much different from other teams. There are teams like Bolton, Middlesbrough, Southampton etc and a few more English clubs who've made the move against angry voices and the die hards have stayed.

In Scotland, we have:

• Falkirk - Brockville. Averaged around 2500-3500 in second tier (last season went up to 4200 but also included farewell games). Pretty much identical now.
  • St Mirren - Love Street. Pretty much the same. Variations mostly due to Old Firm visits and other big games.

Then other teams aren't really much to go on as there have been obscure circumstances (Livingston being out of time, the Airdrieonians 10,000 seater stadium then liquidation etc) around them.

Obviously, it'd need to be surveyed in some way but generally speaking, it's pretty hard to tell with only the proper die hards on here and the other forum. Although my dream would be a super redevelopment, it would be impossible for me to stay away if we did move. Football is a bit of escapism and I don't attribute it to one fixed location.

My rebuild proposal would basically be a longer Derry style stand (with facilities and entry from underneath), similar Main Stand but without pillars and a lot tighter to the pitch (would give more of an illusion of the old stand but be a pretty different experience) and then something completely new behind the goals as I think we've done shite with our modern stands.

I remember pars fans saying that our losses were of no concern and we had someone of integrity at the helm.

Even if there is a large capital injection there's always risks. It's never a good way to run a business.

Despite going bust twice they are totally living out with their means. With decent crowds and what would be a a relatively cheap squad you have to wonder why this has happened?

Americans business suddenly goes tits up, then what happens?

Nobody thought the RBS was full of crooks. Masterton, yep he's a real stand up guy.