All things Dundee FC

According to the BBC website, they are showing a 3-2 victory over the DABS from 1995 as extended highlights on Friday night. Can't say that game immediately pops into my head, so might have to have a wee look...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52360695

Edited by Spikethedee

Gonna just throw it out there and be controversial - He'd be shite for us.

Classy player. Brilliant player. But if, for example, he signed next season (If all went well), he'd be 35. He's currently a 34 year old bit player for a mid table Championship side. 

Colin Cameron signed for us as a mid-table Championship 34 year old. Completely different style of players - but Adam would be more of a luxury than the wage he'd command IMO.

Last season was the time for him to join - or never.

Now, after I've said all this - I am also happy to be called a bloody mentalist as I'd gladly welcome back GGH. :lol:😍

12 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Gonna just throw it out there and be controversial - He'd be shite for us.

Classy player. Brilliant player. But if, for example, he signed next season (If all went well), he'd be 35. He's currently a 34 year old bit player for a mid table Championship side. 

Colin Cameron signed for us as a mid-table Championship 34 year old. Completely different style of players - but Adam would be more of a luxury than the wage he'd command IMO.

Last season was the time for him to join - or never.

Now, after I've said all this - I am also happy to be called a bloody mentalist as I'd gladly welcome back GGH. :lol:😍

Cameron also had major injury issues before and during his spell here. Adam has impressed at Reading, and he'd walk into that starting role right now. The question is of course, as I brought up, his age if/when he does sign, as who knows right now how quickly that skill could decline. I love Jeebsy, but the two players are barely comparable at this point in their respective careers.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

8 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Cameron also had major injury issues before and during his spell here. Adam has impressed at Reading, and he'd walk into that starting role right now. The question is of course, as I brought up, his age if/when he does sign, as who knows right now how quickly that skill could decline. I love Jeebsy, but the two players are barely comparable at this point in their respective careers.

The point about GGH was just a joke. Charlie Adam as a youngster was hounded out at Rangers and wasn't exactly sensational at St Mirren. Would he be the best player in our squad? Well, perhaps (Dorrans would maybe disagree). I'm just not confident he'd be the superstar that Dundee fans would expect.

12 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

The point about GGH was just a joke. Charlie Adam as a youngster was hounded out at Rangers and wasn't exactly sensational at St Mirren. Would he be the best player in our squad? Well, perhaps (Dorrans would maybe disagree). I'm just not confident he'd be the superstar that Dundee fans would expect.

I know it was a joke, and I would be more than fine with Jeebs rejoining us just to come off the bench and wave to the fans in stoppage time.

I personally wouldn't expect a superstar, but certainly a very solid midfielder at least as (if not more) capable as Dorrans. Comparing young Charlie from 15 years ago to grizzled veteran 'St George's Cross-teeth' Charlie is a stretch imo. He'd be a rock solid MF at this level for better teams than us imo, as he currently is.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

7 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I know it was a joke, and I would be more than fine with Jeebs rejoining us just to come off the bench and wave to the fans in stoppage time.

I personally wouldn't expect a superstar, but certainly a very solid midfielder at least as (if not more) capable as Dorrans. Comparing young Charlie from 15 years ago to grizzled veteran 'St George's Cross-teeth' Charlie is a stretch imo. He'd be a rock solid MF at this level for better teams than us imo, as he currently is.

I hope you're right and I hope I'm wrong and I quite possibly could be, wouldn't be the first.

It's just time and time again we've seen proven entities that are on the older side ply their trade in England then come to Scotland and flop in their last 'big' move. Glenn Whelan for Hearts last season springs to mind.

Some Dee's were considering Dorrans a disappointment last season. They recognised his quality - but there's no denying he didn't have the impact on certain games we all expected. I wasn't one of these Dee's, but at times it was hard to argue he wasn't imposing himself the way he could and should.

I hope I'm wrong - and I've nothing to back it up, but Charlie Adam patrolling the centre circle, barely moving, pinging passes which don't always come off - I dunno, I'm just trying to temper expectations at this point! I'm not trying to diminish Adam - he's clearly still got the ability to play to a much higher standard than us - but would he be able to show it consistently every week in the Championship at 35 without being a stereotypical 'luxury' player? And that's if he signs for the next season - he probably plans on joining us when he's 37/38!

ETA: But the most important part of our whole discussion here? f**k John Brown. Sniveling little shite. Seems to be a theme of people named John Brown's being arsepieces.

Edited by Speroni*1

11 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

I hope you're right and I hope I'm wrong and I quite possibly could be, wouldn't be the first.

It's just time and time again we've seen proven entities that are on the older side ply their trade in England then come to Scotland and flop in their last 'big' move. Glenn Whelan for Hearts last season springs to mind.

Some Dee's were considering Dorrans a disappointment last season. They recognised his quality - but there's no denying he didn't have the impact on certain games we all expected. I wasn't one of these Dee's, but at times it was hard to argue he wasn't imposing himself the way he could and should.

I hope I'm wrong - and I've nothing to back it up, but Charlie Adam patrolling the centre circle, barely moving, pinging passes which don't always come off - I dunno, I'm just trying to temper expectations at this point! I'm not trying to diminish Adam - he's clearly still got the ability to play to a much higher standard than us - but would he be able to show it consistently every week in the Championship at 35 without being a stereotypical 'luxury' player? And that's if he signs for the next season - he probably plans on joining us when he's 37/38!

I mean, there's plenty of precedent for your argument. Many have indeed shat the bed thinking the Scottish leagues to be fertile ground despite they themselves being past it. From what I've seen and heard about Adam this season at Reading though, I fully believe if he were to join for next season he'd be very effective, considering what he can do for a club playing at a higher standard with much greater resources than ourselves. Tempering expectations would be essential if it were to happen imo, but I still think he has plenty to offer as a player.

As we've both said though, that could well change depending on the 'when' factor. No doubt if he ever plays for us in a competitive capacity, it'll likely be the last team he'll ever do so for. If by that time he has lost all semblence of pace and stamina then my attitude will probably be similar to my attitude towards Jeebsy. Guess we'll have to wait until then.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Charlie Adam was a key player in getting St Mirren promoted that year.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
14 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

Charlie Adam was a key player in getting St Mirren promoted that year.

So was Willie Dyer for us the last time we were promoted! (Not that I'm comparing ability, obviously)

19 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Better tell the DABS it’s on. I’m sure they’ll want to watch too.

You've got to feel sorry for them with the closure of Dobbies. Where can they congregate now, for a fruit scone and a pot of tea?

You've got to feel sorry for them with the closure of Dobbies. Where can they congregate now, for a fruit scone and a pot of tea?

The Milton Haugh farm shop I believe. They are also organism zoom knitting gatherings I’ve heard.

I’d obviously love it but I think Charlie would most likely disappoint but I’d be very pleased to be proved wrong.